Rename the phoenix?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BloodHawk, May 11, 2008.

Rename the phoenix?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by BloodHawk, May 11, 2008.

1. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    It just occurred to me that SC1 had a hero named Fenix. SC2 has a unit named phoenix.

Is this an homage or just a careless mistake. I'm leaning towards the latter.

2. marinefreak

marinefreak New Member

Australia
    It is kinda weird how the protoss would have two different ways of spelling a word which sounded exactly the same. But then you open up millions of questions concerning protoss launguage --> english, homophones, homonymes and i think i'm just rambling.

On a more serious note, i doubt blizzard would make a mistake like this. Its probally just homage towards Fenix but spelling it Fenix would just make it too obvious that its paying homage to him and it would be annoying if you are talking about both of them.

3. BloodHawk

BloodHawk Member

CT, USA
    True; I also find it kind of hard to believe that Blizz could make that kind of oversight. Yet as a Blizzard fanboy I can't trust myself.

Even as homage I'm not sure it's a very good one. Zealots saying "Entaro Tassadat" is really damn good. But naming a unit that holds none of the same spirit as Fenix after him doesn't really sit well with me.

4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

if anything an immortal should be called a phoenix.. but it would be really strange. Fenix was a hell of a solder to bad he's dead. some how i think the phoenix is not really in memory of fenix at all. Some how i think the look of the phoenix burning out and being unable to move after it's ability is done is the real reason it's called what it is.

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Its not named the Phoenix in homage of Fenix, its named that because of the nature of the unit. (Atleast thats why Blizzard named it the Phoenix as far the Protoss are concerned who knows.) I think as long a unit doesn't use the same name as a hero the those hero names are none issues when it comes to unit names. Also if you look through both parts of the story so far Fenix is almost entirely ignored except for one quote, besides that it's almost as if he didn't exist.

And no, I don't thing the Phoenix should be renamed, its apt name for the unit.

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i agree with lord. the units actions match the name and if the unit is staying for the finall build it fits the unit almost 100%

7. epo

epo New Member

I agree; Phoenix is a good name for the unit of discussion, however, why not just scrap the unit completly and bring back the Corsair with the new overload ability?

8. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, why not bring back the old units and scrap all the new ones? That sounds great.

9. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    Well people are most familiar with they know, so it's only logical to want the older units. I mean, SC is a long pastime, and to people who've played it a long time, those units are part of their strategy or part of their knowledge. Yes, the new SC game is of course supposed to be new, but that doesn;t mean they should scrap the older units. But, hey, who knows, the phoenix could end up being a damn powerful addition to the protoss arsenal and then maybe people won't mind later.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah, sure they should keep some of the more memorable units, but I would'nt exactly add the Corsair to that list. Even the popular Carrier was out of the build at one point, and looks a lot different now that it's back. I doubt a majority wants to see the Corsair return, as it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as the Phoenix or Scout. :)

11. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    The unit's appearance resembles a bird and has an ability that resembles fire. Definitely the most suitable name for it.

12. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

phoenix is a pritty good as i have herd from some of the reports. I dont think it needs to be removed, i mean it dose not do splash but it will take a little more skill to use them currectly.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    @Kuvasz. You can add to that: The Phoenix going offline for a while also resembles how a phoenix bird turns into an egg and is later reborn.

14. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Currectly lol funny.

If any name needs to be changed its the Infestor and Corruptor.

15. epo

epo New Member

@ Gasmaskguy

The suggestion, to remove the Phoenix and add the old Corsair with the Overload ability, did not come from a conservative mindset. It’s a result from when I compare the two units; I favor the Corsair over the Phoenix, not because I’m used to the Corsair, but because I think it has a better design and background story.

The Corsair:
    “These fast, medium sized warships were built by the Dark Templar to safeguard their wandering fleets”

That should mean that since the Shakuras Protoss civilization, which was the one left more intact then the Auir Protoss, should have continued its production of a unit that they as a civilization created for aerial superiority.

So why not remove its old ability the Disruption Web, since its function is very similar to the Mothership’s Time bomb, and give the Corsair the Overload ability. I also think that the idea of an overload works with the technology used by the Corsair: their rapid rate of fire.

And come’ on if you design a spaceship as a bird, you are being very unoriginal and uninspiring. It reminds me the pink Power ranger dinozord: pterodactyl

And I also reason like this, The Corsair fulfilled its role brilliantly and it became somewhat of a favorite for many protoss players.

that's why!

Attached Files:

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Corsair was a very sexual air unit, I loved it. Don't bring back the exact Corsiar, it needs some tweaks and a name change maybe, but then again isn't that what the Phoenix is. The Phoenix is the strongest AtA fighter according to Blizzard and others, I think it isn't as fast as a Corsair tho.
    It would be nice for it to retain a Corsair-like attack tho, it was fun to dance around that bunch of Mutalisks to damage them all with splash.

17. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Didn't starcraft in the early stages of being made have a unit named the phoenix? Just like how marines were named Marauders in the early stages and now in Starcraft II they have a marauder unit.

18. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Yeah but I think it was an early version of the Wraith that was called the Phoenix, so yeah... :p

19. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, Blizzard seems to be trying to squeeze the names that didn't make it into the first game, into SC2. The Marauder was the original name for the Marine... I think someone high up in the development team really likes these names.

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

lol. yeah the guys at blizzard have a little writers block when it comes to names. i think they have a 10 years writers block, lol