Recording Program

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Ensomgrav, Apr 7, 2008.

Recording Program

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Ensomgrav, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

Does any one know a good audio recording program?
    Preferably a cheap one.

2. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

What do you want to do with it? Cause I can give you a free one that records in good sound but it's not very user friendly and I'm not sure what in the way it can do of editing. But if all you want to do is just record a sound to you're computer it will work fine.

3. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

looking for cheap alternatives for my band then a studio. We're very low on cash.

4. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

So you need a bunch of editing features to touch up and merge music and stuff like that right? If you do the program I have in mind might work for a short time but it wouldn't be something you'd want to stick with, I'll check and see how good it is for that type of thing.

5. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

thanks man, my friends got an apple, so i think he has some stuff on there.

6. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

http://www.goldwave.com/release.php

That's the link to the program. It's free so you might as well try it out. I'll warn you it's not very user friendly and I'm not sure if you'll actually want to use it. But if you do learn how to use it, it should be able to preform basic functions but it's really not that advanced and probably can't do all of what you want but it is a free program. So good luck with it and your band, I don't really know what you need to do for it but I hope this helps, if not sorry about that.

*Again it will probably be a huge headache but it seems to be able to do most things*

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Goldwave is what I use
    =)

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow New Member

Finland
  9. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I also think Audacity is the best choice, you can manipulate the sound in many ways, it has a bunch of features... Try it out at least.

10. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

I'll give it a shot, now if the my band could rehearse more often.....

11. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

If one of your band members has an Apple computer, it should come with GarageBand, which is a great program for recording and editing music (at least to start out). I use GarageBand in conjunction with a Firebox (device I have that you can plug guitars/basses, microphones, etc. into and record onto a computer) to make some pretty solid music. I actually made an entire CD last year, entitled "Storm from the Dorm" using nothing but my guitar and the sound tracks I could generate in GarageBand.

So basically if somebody you know has an apple, your band could band together to buy a device like the Firebox (around $300) and make some pretty high quality music for the price involved. Drums would be hard to record, but GarageBand can generate some decent beats on its own.

12. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

wouldnt be bad if we got a synth drum set for recording, but they cost allooottttt.. Good idea niner, i'll keep it in mind.

13. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

You wouldn't even need a synth drum set - GarageBand comes with a number of pre-sythesized tracks, including drum beats. You would be a little limited, since you couldn't put in fills or change the speed of a song, but you can still generate a decent drum accompaniment to a song.

If you want, I could send you a copy of one of the songs I created using GarageBand + my guitar and you can see how good it is.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  14. Ensomgrav

Ensomgrav New Member

yea , but thats like my part, and i'll feel bad saying its me in that song , when technically in that version its the stupid computer. Its just something i wanna be a part of, i wrote the lyrics, even structured my friends riffs around them in the right way. It just wouldnt feel right.

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

There is another possibility with the Firebox if you have access to (or can make) a soundproof room. You could set up two microphones to record drums. It wouldn't be as polished, but it'd work.

16. Vestige-

Vestige- New Member

audacity, google it, totally free