Rebuilding my old desktop.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Caiaphas, Jul 23, 2010.

Rebuilding my old desktop.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Caiaphas, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    I have an old Compaq desktop that I used to use before I got my Macbook. Now my Macbook can run SC2 on low settings fine, but I want a little more than that. :p

I figured I'd try to rebuild my old computer so it could handle some more advanced graphics and other games in general. But I have no idea what parts I need to replace or what parts I can keep. I would go off of the guides for building your own computer, but I want to see how much use I can make out of what I have so I can save some money. So anyway, here are the specs of my old, old computer:

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 7/23/2010, 11:15:40
    Machine name: WORLEANDG
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
    System Model: P8656P-ABA S5000V NA310
    BIOS: Version 3.24
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.50GHz
    Memory: 630MB RAM
    Page File: 176MB used, 1369MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_3189109F&REV_03
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3889 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2004 16:11:36, 37951 bytes

If you need more than that just tell me, I just followed the guide on the forums but I'm not sure if that's enough info for what I'm asking.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

At first glance, only stuff that you could possibly salvage are the case, power supply, optical drive and hard drive. The motherboard, CPU and likely the RAM are too old to be of use in a new build. Of course, the re-use of case, PSU, etc are contingent on the new parts you choose - correct form factor? connectors (SATA or IDE)? sufficient power output? It'll probably easier to just replace everything.

3. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    Important figures:
    64MB Video memory.
    640MB Main memory.
    2.50GHz Pentium 4 processor.

The first two are very low by today's standards, and I doubt any newish games will run on your computer, even if you spent a little money to improve it. But if you're happy playing older games dating no later than 2005-2006, then your computer should run those.

So it depends what you want to play, and whether or not you can afford to buy new technology.

Minimum requirements for low demanding games nowadays is something like:
    256MB Video memory / 1GB main memory / A dual core processor

... and that still wouldn't run the newest and most demanding games.

The processor is the most problematic part to upgrade, because motherboards will only accept a few different processors, which will all be of similar ability. New processor --> new motherboard --> new memory --> ...

I hope that puts things into perspective. :)

4. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    So if I wanted to rebuild my computer so that it could play Starcraft II and other recent games, what parts would I have to change other than those three things? Things like you said about the motherboard needing to be changed because it would have to fit the processor.

I guess it would be easier to just start from scratch like rui said if a lot of it needs to be changed anyway.

5. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    Not just a lot, but all. Your power supply is probably too weak for a new rig and/or it's too old to trust with a new set of expensive parts. Your monitor would definitely prevent you from utilising the new system with high resolutions and decent refresh rates. As Rui said, the drives and the case are the only parts that you could use as they either don't really matter or haven't become obsolete.

6. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Actually, one of the bigger issues for gaming is the Intel 845G graphics. For a system that old, I doubt he'll have better than AGP and there's not much in the way of upgrades for those. Besides, as you mentioned, the single-core Pentium IV is bound to be a bottleneck in most modern games.

Again, even the drives are a maybe. If the system is that old, the drives might be using IDE and some motherboards don't come with IDE ports anymore.

The easiest thing to do is to repurpose the computer (maybe use it as a backup system or something) or perhaps donate it and just build a new system from scratch.

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    If he's on a tight budget then maybe he could use his IDE drives via a PCI converter... that's what I'll be using to port my things to my new computer, for lack of an IDE port on my motherboard. Though I don't know if this can be used as a permanent solution. But he can definitely use his optical drive(s) if it does DVDs. I don't think investing in a blu-ray drive is worth it at this point.

8. Caiaphas

Caiaphas New Member

New Jersey
    Okay, thanks for all of the help guys. I'll probably just start out from scratch eventually, once I get more money.

9. jasmine

jasmine New Member

England
    As others have said, floppy/cd/dvd drives, the case, and any non-graphics cards should be transferrable.

Potential new parts would be: motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card, and a new power supply is very much necessary if your current one is rated less than 500 watts.

Optional: hard disk, depending on its size and how much space you need.

It is possible to use ATA drives with SATA motherboards (and vice-versa) using an £5 SATA/IDE adapter. So that is an option if you really want to keep the price down. Using that adapter, it will be slightly slower reading/writing from disk. The loading time for windows and for games will be quicker if you have a new SATAII hard drive, but will not have any effect on how games perform once loaded.

edit:

I think the best option is to leave this computer as it is. Perhaps use it specifically for internet/dvd player/mp3 player/ etc. And to buy a new computer for your games.

The best way of keeping your new PC in good shape is to not browse the net with it! Use your current PC for that.

PCs + internet + antivirus = slowdown.