Reaver range

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Honus, Jun 17, 2007.

Reaver range

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Honus, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Honus

Honus New Member

I'm sure most of you have probably seen the leaked PCGamer footage by now and I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed that in the short clip involving the reaver the range seemed smaller than it was in SC1. If you look closely, you can see that the reaver had to crawl beside the stalkers before it started attacking.

I found this rather interesting as the reaver is supposed to be the siege unit of the Protoss. If the reaver has indeed lost its long range, then it begs the question: Has the siege functionality of the reaver been replaced by another unit or is the range upgradeable? Or was there simply bad micro involved in the video? Personally, I believe that the range will be upgradeable. The PCGamer scans have probably revealed all Protoss units that will be in SC2 and none of the other units seem to be siege units in any way.

2. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

we have discussed this already. well, the first part. the second, brings up a VERY interesting discussion topic. i'm not so sure about the range issue, with upgrades, but it's range has definately shortened, or it was being stupid, and had to get as close as possible to that reaper to blow it's brains to mars. you know AI can be a real pain

3. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

You know how when the Reaver runs out of scarabs, and it starts to walk towards what it was thinking of attacking? Maybe blizz didn't change the stupidity of the Reavers. I would like to see some extra variety with the reavers...although I speculate that they will be essentially the same as they were in SC original.

4. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

but smaller. and a bit faster

5. paragon

paragon Guest

And not as pretty (see left for prettier Reaver)
    I doubt that the Reaver has lost its siege function. What's most likely is that the AI needs a few things worked out.

6. wuffle

wuffle Member

Warp Rays are seige. In the gameplay video he talks about how their attack is very effective against buildings. Since they can sit and attack as long as they want their damage will just keep increasing and increasing.

7. Aeglos

Aeglos Guest

Hello, I just registered so I could ramble on about SC2, cheers to all.

I was reading this and looking at the Reaver in the video... and I wonder, what will be the Reaver's role in the Protoss army now? It seems to be siege only, since for what we have seen the Colossus has taken the mass unit killer place. So now the Reavers seem like ground Warp Rays of sorts, and indeed they might be... fast (or faster at least xD) hard ground hitters, or maybe not...

It just strikes as odd having two units performing overlapping tasks (Mass unit damage)... kinda goes against the classic Starcraft schema.

8. Pix

Pix New Member

Welcome to the forums, Aeglos! :good:
    To answer your question, first you should remember that as seen in the gameplay trailer, the Warp Ray can attack both air units and land units (with specific reference to buildings). Therefore perhaps the Reaver is for those times when complete air superiority is not yours and you want to attack with a strong unit to support your front lines, then the Reaver comes in where the Warp Ray would be slaughtered by the existence of enemy anti-air or swarms of air units. Plus, I can almost guaruntee that the Warp Ray will be more expensive than the Reaver, since the Price : Power ratio always factors in that freedom to move of the air units, bumping up their price without an increase in power necessary.
    ~Pix~

9. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

you can trust there will be none left to show once the probe gets described :p

10. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

you cannot speculate on the range of the reaver because we dont know whether it moved into position becuase it was orderd to, or it was the AI. if you look at the other gameplay vids you should notice that blizzard hasnt showed how people would realy play, just showing how the units work.

11. Pix

Pix New Member

Wrong. We can speculate, we just can't confirm. That's what we're doing all over this forum - speculating.
    ~Pix~

12. Meloku

Meloku New Member

Its possible that the reaver still has the same range, but simply might not be able to shoot around units anymore.
    or as someone else pointed out maybee it was out of scarabs =]

13. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    hmm maybe here's an idea but it might be a bad anyways :p

maybe then can add some optional auto-scarab build function (like right clicking the attack to activate)when it runs of scarabs. I mean in SC1, they were only 10 minerals each. So this way your reaver won't become useless if you forget to keep up with the scarab prodcution! :D

yay less micro haha

14. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I don't think that the colossus has taken the place of the "mass killer" as you say Aeglos

The colossus can kill a lot, sure, but I don't think it is a "mass killer" because it doesn't do area of effect damage. The lase from the colossus can attack one, maybe two units at a time, if the laser is in between two units. Psi storm and scarab explosions are both AoE, and can take out tons more units than the colossus

15. coalescence

coalescence New Member

What has it's range to do with it being a siege unit or not? A battering ram is also a siege unit, which has no range.

16. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    Good luck with that kind of ramming speed ;)

17. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

well traditionally, siege weapons have always been to crumble the defenses from distance whereas battering rams are for knocking the door down...you're right, but aside from the battering ram (which was dangerous because you would be attacking the most well-guarded and booby-trapped with murderholes, etc, part of the castle/fort) I can't think of another one that isn't from range

18. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

is ultralisk a siege unit?

19. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Actually, a siege tower too.

It kinda is, but in the sc gameplay it wasn't. Sucked too much.

20. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

well i loved it. nothing else countered the reavers very well

EDIT: someone should look up dictionary.com/wiki on siege. ive got them both favourited but im a sloth who doesnt make sense so i wont do it lol