Reapers as Terran Rushers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Overling, Nov 19, 2007.

Reapers as Terran Rushers

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Overling, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Overling

Overling New Member

Now that Reapers seem to be made at Barracks instead of Merc Haven, one thing struck my mind: can they not need a Merc Haven at all to be built?

If that is the case, Reapers would now be an option to Marines as first Terran 'force', finally giving the Terrans an equal share of early choices. Protoss could either make Cannons (defense) or Zealots (attack). Zergs could do Sunkens (defense) or lings (attack). Terrans only had Marines or Marines inside bunkers. If they add the option of Reapers as first units, they can make Marines a little bit tougher so they can act as a better defense, and let Reapers cross the map for the fastest rush ever to be seen in SC history!

Another possibility would be to discourage rushes against Terrans, as they could easily fight back with Reapers if you manage to kill some Marines when rushing them. Creating a good rushing mechanism is sure to drag terrans out of their base, instead of turtling with supply depots blocking the door. Not only it would make justice by adding an equal amount of starting options for Terrans too, but it would vastly increase the diversity of early game strategies.

What you guys think of this possibility?

2. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    since when did they say reapers are built in the barrack now???

3. DKutrovsky

DKutrovsky New Member

I think its a great change, and it will make for great tactics

4. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    This is not 100% confirmed.

5. Overling

Overling New Member

Neither is anything else, but that's why I've chosen the words carefully. ;)

6. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

i think to balance the issue of IMBA rush, reapers will be 1.5 tier

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    well, I think the terran will have it's good old marine rush, maybe with some medics, and a bit later with reapers supported. I hope reapers won't be tier 1.5 units, otherwise I won't really use them. I usually go to cheap marines and supporting tanks and air units now in Star Craft

8. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

i really like the reaper mines and i think it is too weak to be used as a rusher, it can be pwnd by scv's and i think the jumppacks are an upgrade

9. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Hm, I think jump pack shouldn't be only an upgrade, because that is the only advantage the reaper has. Without it, it's worthless. Well, the explosive charge is an upgrade, but only effective at slow units, so it is really just a support unit..

10. Heavyarms2050

Heavyarms2050 New Member

reapers will be useless if you have to upgrade their jumppacks. That like having to upgrade a wraith in order to make it fly. Explosive charge will be effective against protoss and zergs because if you plan the attack just right, you can lay some charges on their nexus/hive

11. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    That was not directed at you or anything. It was directed at DKutrovski. I never quoted anything you said, that means that what I said is an answer/extension etc to what the one directly ABOVE me said.

he thought that it actually was a real change, but we don't know that, it's not 100% confirmed, as I said.

12. Overling

Overling New Member

Oops, sry Gasmaskguy! ;)

@ Reapers being IMBA: I think everyone needs to have a way to defend against rushes, or else the whole game will be about it and only it. Reapers are weak. If Terrans have Marines, they can defend against them. If Terrans get Reapers too, they can nullify each other. If Protoss gets cannons, these can defend against Reapers, as they now rearrange inside the base to make up for the increased raiding.

Even against old Zergs it would not be so powerful, as Sunken colonies would kill a Reaper in 1 attack, and Drones could possibly have burrow upgraded before the enemy gets Reapers. All a player would be concerned is temporarily hiding the Drones and let the defenses do the job.

I'm pro making Reaper as a tier 1 unit along with the Marine.

13. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I agree with Overling.
    Reapers can't be totally IMBA, they will be owned by static defenses even harder than everything else you can rush with. The reason why they should/could be tier 1 is because they can scout as hell and harrass. Early harrassment can be a little fun, but as soon as the enemy gets a defence structure up, they're doomed.

I am quite sure that D-8 charges will need an armory or engineering bay to be upgraded.

14. Tavisman

Tavisman New Member

I also think the Reaper should be made a tier 1 unit, since later on, it won't be as effective. It would also add much to Terran strategic diversity. Still, it woudn't be OP, since as Overling said, static defenses will own them.

15. vinzel

vinzel New Member

marines and reapers?.... that would be awesome!!!!!!!

16. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i don't see a problem if it's gonna be on the same level as the old firebat was. medics supporting marines would be much more useful anyways.

17. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I doubt reapers will be available as soon as you build the barracks anyways. It's certainly faster than if they were built from the Merc Haven though. But for the tech level they're available at, I don't think they're great rushers, by which I mean I don't think they'll be able to take out many key structures and kill many of the units. Even that early in the game, I think they'll best be used as worker killers.

18. Overling

Overling New Member

Yeah, that's the point WIck742: to kill their workers and delay their production. Once you have delayed them, coming with an army and repeatedly killing theirs would wear the enemy down until victory. I've always used rushes like this, at least.

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Yes, but in order to rush, the units have to be at least somewhat sturdy, which the reaper is not. There's a difference between rushing and worker raiding. Technically there can't really be a reaper rush, since they're on the same level as a medic. By that time it's considered attacking, not rushing. Rushing is basically using the earliest units you could use to try to destroy the enemy in the very early game or at least heavily damaging them so they're crippled for the rest of the game. In order to do that they have to be able to stand and fight against defenders, as there's not a very good way to completely bypass them on most maps. Marines for example are "rushable" units. But compared to marines, reapers do not have the health to fight however many defenders there may be. And by the time you get reapers, the opponent is sure to have some form of defense.

20. Overling

Overling New Member

Well I guess you missed the point of this thread: I was considering the possibility that Reapers become available at the same time as Marines. Then, they would be a first unit option, and just like you said, a rusher. ^^ right?