Reapers and Hellions

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Makki, Oct 1, 2010.

Reapers and Hellions

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Makki, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Makki

Makki Member

Denmark
    Hi guys im a zerg player so i dont know what im doing here
    but i was just wondering...

Reapers and Hellions aren't they kinda the same?
    you know...
    1) both of them cant shoot air
    2) both of them do bonus vs light
    3) they are both usually for harrassment
    4) they are both kinda low tier units
    5) they counter the same units.. i think :p
    they also both get owned by roaches but thats kinda obvious xD

but they kinda share the same purpose.... right?

oh and i forgot to mention one thing and that was that reapers do bonus damage to buildings...(you know the grenade thingy).. so that makes them different C:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. Takaim

Takaim Member

Not to mention reapers don't have splash but hellions do.. o_O Hellions took the place of both vultures and firebats and a quick mech ling/zlot/worker killer. Though they don't do as good of a job as vultures did. T-T I've tried to do the old school builds with hellions in place of tanks but it doesn't work too good.

3. Reldric

Reldric New Member

Las Vegas
    Agreed, hellions and Reapers do kind of overlap in their roles, but theres nothing wrong with it. Reapers cant crowd control as well as hellions, but reapers are a good deal more versatile. Furthermore reapers can take out a base extremely quickly while hellions cant do much against buildings.

4. snowden0908

snowden0908 New Member

Chicago
    early in the game their uses are pretty much the same (although reapers can do the fancy cliff jumps)

but late game it completely changes. Reapers in large numbers late in the game are basically base wrecking machines while hellions are great for taking out large swarms of weak units (zerglings and marines primarily although they can hurt zealots too.)

5. JimReynolds

JimReynolds New Member

UK
    Getting the infernal preigniter upgrade makes hellions awesome against drones and probes, they can destroy your income in seconds.

I think reapers are more useful early game imo, they can bypass a lot of defences where as hellions need a little back up, unless against zerg of course.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Australia
    Yeah Hellions are good for mixing your armies up especially vs the mass players.

7. JimReynolds

JimReynolds New Member

UK
    Also against the annoying amounts of mass speedlings I am seeing recently, I liked to micro down the speedlings then drop their mineral line or the other way round.

8. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    Blue-flame +3 hellions completely decimate light units. They can kill double the amount of hydralisks if massed with very few losses and man, the way the zerg burn to hellions is awsome!

Just for fun, play a unit test map and pit 100 hydralisks(+3/+3 if you wanna be just) to 50 hellions(+3/+3/+blue flame) and hit+move the hellions close to the hydras(attack first shot, move closer attack second shot, move in the cave of corpses you made, etc) and watch the burning.

Reapers are also very good for light units, but best for taking out buildings, they do insane damage there.

I feel both of these are quite unused units by terran players and they could use some loving by the terran community. They're so awsome

9. JimReynolds

JimReynolds New Member

UK
    Also it feels so good to to draw in speedlings Whilst the pre-igniter is upgrading, they think they have the advantage whilst you run, then the blue flame appears and they become the hunted!