Re: New Starcraft 2 Phoenix official info

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by mc2, Jun 17, 2007.

Re: New Starcraft 2 Phoenix official info

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by mc2, Jun 17, 2007.

1. mc2

mc2 New Member

The phoenix sure is a cool unit. But wouldn't it make more sense that they scout deep space using observers? I mean isn't that what they are built for?

So it's not an all round versatile unit and needs back up unit to be protected from massive waves of enemy units. The overload ability is cool though, I like seeing more units having a spell or a specialized ability :D

2. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    :O Cool. I like the ability but the attack of this has high on ground and air?

Correct me if i'm wrong but corsairs are good with air and scouts are med at ground so this has a AA plus little ground attack??

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Gold

Gold New Member

hey, i posted about this way earlier than this, i got owned by buried threads

4. paragon

paragon Guest

The Phoenix is for deep space sweeps not deep space scouting. Sweeps require that one has guns to remove the "trash" they encounter. As observers do not have guns, a sweep is not what observers are built for.

5. beBoy

beBoy New Member

I think this unit mainly replaces Corsairs especially with the similarity of concept behind this "Overload" ability (similar to Corsair's splash attack). I suspect Blizzard will make a replacement to Valkyrie as its attack is similar to Corsair.

And like many of you said - this unit is COOL! Too bad I'll hate the cooldown after the overload~

6. paragon

paragon Guest

Just make three separate groups and cycle their overload so that one group is overloading, one is cooling down, and one is firing normally.

I hope they keep the Valkyrie but make it better. Bring back the afterburner maybe?

7. Light

Light Guest

cool...but need skill 2 use....replaces geeky scouts and semi-cool corsairs...yea man, its nice.
    it wont be able 2 attak ground with its overload... thats too strong...but works wonders vs zerg swarms!

i want the valkyrie too remain, but the phoenix kinda takes it out.

8. beBoy

beBoy New Member

There were words saying "Afterburner" has a cheesy tactics to fly into a zerg base and kill all overlords and fly out, so it's not likely to make its way back - unless Blizzard somehow changed how this burner works...~

Yeah overloads is kindda hard to use it right, the demo makes it look effortless because mutas didn't micro. I wonder how many overloads would require to take those mutas down in a real game.

9. paragon

paragon Guest

Fly in, overload overlords, fly out (or die while powered down)

I'm aware of the afterburner debate and why it was taken out of Brood Wars. They could give it a cooldown making that tactic not so effective.

10. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

couldn't you just recall your pheonixes after they overload so they dont just sit there? presuming that the arbitor hasn't been taken out T_T

ARBITORS FTW!

11. beBoy

beBoy New Member

I think it would work (assuming Arbiter stays) since we can recall maelstormed and locked units (but not statis'ed units)

12. Shockwave

Shockwave New Member

Looks awesome... sounds awesome. Wouldn't use something that shiny to scout, lol.

13. Darktemplar_L

Darktemplar_L New Member

Bay Area
    Can the phoenix attack ground units? cause im not sure. Attacking ground units with its regular attack no the overload ability.

14. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

good query there, my guess is mabey xP

15. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

yes, it can pepper the ground

the phoenix may be more useful then those exploding guys from SC1

before: crap, my airforce blew up, they're gonna attack and i'm screwed, i might as well make some hydras

now: oh thank god those phoenixes are gone, now to make a few more mutalisk- OH SH!T, IMMORTALS, mother******, a bunch of tempests too!

kekeke, they'll never see it coming