Raven's New ability - The Ground to Air Laser Turret

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Sep 13, 2009.

Raven's New ability - The Ground to Air Laser Turret

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Novacute

Novacute New Member

The Raven underwent many changes since it's introduction. Recently the Blizzard developers removed it's third ability; Point Defense drone in favour of a the Ground to Air Laser turret. Now, i understand that raven already has the ability to create a Defense turret that works well against both AIR and Ground units. As such, wouldn't that make the Gound to Air turret rudandant?

Also, i don't see why Terrans need anymore anti air counters. Just the raven alone can potentially wreck havoc using it's Seeker Missiles and defense turrets. Also, the Viking, a revamped version of the goliath works wonders with it's 40 Damage output capacity against large air units without upgrades. Not to mention Ghosts now do an additional 10 damage against biological targetsm thors excel taking down groups of air units, the battlecruiser can be upgraded to specifically tackle air units (Missile pods & Yamato cannon), and the Terran missile turret is worth a measily 75 Minerals, allowing the player to build an respectable amount of them.

Personally, i think the ground fo air laser turret isn't worth it's value. Terrans have been lacking appropriate defenses since the loss of the defensive matrix (Battlecruiser not included), therefore, the addition of Raven's old ability, the Point Defense Drone would be a nice addition to protect vulnerable and weaker units. What do you think?

Info on the Raven can be found here; http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Raven

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

It's trouble with sources (there's conflicting ones), so it's been corrected to say Defensive Drone may have been replaced.

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    If what Kimera says is true, then Terran anti-air is now better then the ground-based attacks. All strong units work best against air, except for the Siege Tank. Or am I missing something here?

4. niceshadesnick

niceshadesnick New Member

Providence, RI
    If this is true, they would probably make the regular auto-turret GtG only.

5. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

The way i see it if there adding a GTA option for the raven that means either hunter seeker is not fast enough to hit fast are units or its not ment for a real air counter at all. And i cant forget what niceshadesnick said as well. Auto turret my be GTG only as well.

6. asdf

asdf New Member

banshee? dedicated air-to-ground attacker.

and i always thought the auto-turret was only GtG.

7. niceshadesnick

niceshadesnick New Member

Providence, RI
    Aurora, the Marauder is GtG only, as well as the reaper, the tank, and the hellion.

But I personally am happy that terran is the new "don't attack them by air" race.

8. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    That suks, (I was ganna nag about muta stacking = crap but I forgot you can't stack anymore T_T)

Well Zerg are screwed on island maps , if they go on an all out drop nothing will unload because it will all be anialated T_T

(stupid F***ing terran defence)
    Wasn't the Terran always the ultimate if you attack by ground you're screwed race?
    And since Zerg have a mainly ground based army wouldn't the old Terran work bettter at killing the new Zerg then the Terran of now?

9. Novacute

Novacute New Member

I thought the present Terran army is much more effective than the older one. Sure, siege tanks cost more supply, hence it's scarce on the battlefield, but there's also thor and it's 120mm Cannons and Marauders just tear any ground machanical unit. If you ask me, technically, terrans now have two Yamato cannons and since nukes are cheaper, we're going to see alot them in action, making Terran the deadlist ground vs ground faction.

Edit, i'm not sure if the Terran Auto defense turret hits air units, but i think i recall seeing it attack an overlord on Battlereport 3. Seeing how the Turret is just an extension of the marine with increased durability, i think it should be able to target air units.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    Double check br3

Br3 was a PvZ...

Maybe you meant br2? Idk I'll look.