Rate this desktop..

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Jshep89, Jul 24, 2009.

Rate this desktop..

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by Jshep89, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

Okay the below computer costs roughly $8,200.00 think its worth the price?

Thermaltake SwordM Black/Silver Aluminum Extrusion ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    ASUS Z7S WS Dual LGA 771 Intel 5400 SSI CEB Server Motherboard
    (X2) Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor
    (X2 in CrossFire) Radeon HD 4870X2 2GB 512bit DDR5 PCIe Gen2.0 x16 HDCP
    8GB DDR2 800 PC6400 CL5 ECC Fully Buffered Memory (4X2G) Kingston
    500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s – (Storage Drive)
    1TB (X2 in RAID 0) 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V CrossFire Certified 80+ Active PFC PSU
    LanLabs Stage 2 Air Cooling: Both processors, North Bridge, South Bridge and case profile
    20X DVDRW SATA Interface

2. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

no

no

no!

First of all, you do NOT need a skulltrail and two super expensive CPU's. Secondly, you'll do just fine with one 4870x2. You win nothing from the second one.
    Third, the system is a bit outdated, Go for i7 and DDR3.
    Fourth, for that system I expect watercooling, more memory, more harddrive space.
    And finally: it's overpriced!

Don't waste all that money on a PC.
    Rather buy a PC 4 times for the price of 2000 dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  3. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

Your opinion on this one?

# Color)
    # Neon Light Upgrade: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT (BLUE COLOR)
    # Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum Enemax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) (1, 000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
    # POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 1, 250 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster Real Pro Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)
    # CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366
    # COOLING FAN : Ultra ChillTec Thermo Electric CPU Cooler
    # MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) EVGA X58 SLI Classfied Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX DDR3 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, & 7.1Audio
    # MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair Dominator)
    # FREEBIES: None
    # VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    # VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    # VIDEO CARD 3: NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
    # Free Game: None
    # MULTIPLE VIDEO CARD SETTINGS: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
    # LCD Monitor: NONE
    # 2nd Monitor: NONE
    # HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance with Data Security (RAID-0+1) with 4 Identical Hard Drives (64GB (32GBx4) Ritek RiDATA 2.5 inch SATA Gaming SLC Solid State Disk (Nearly Instant Data Access Technology))
    # Data Hard Drive: 1.5TB (1.5TBx1) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
    # USB PORTABLE DRIVE: NONE
    # Optical Drive: Pioneer 8X BDR-203BKS Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter [Fastest]
    # Optical Drive 2: Pioneer 8X BDR-203BKS Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter [Fastest]
    # SOUND: Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series PCI Express Sound Card
    # SPEAKERS: None
    # NETWORK: Killer Xeno Pro Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card

4. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Hrm, MUCH better than the last one.. but what I don't like about this one is that it has a core i7-920?

I don't know, but I think you need something more powerful to prevent bottle necking from the 3 GTX285 GPU's.

920 is the standard i7, if your looking for extreme PC's find something with a 975 in it.
    And STILL no watercooling. The three GPU's + CPU = Tons of NOISE.

I'd give this build a price of around 4000-5000.

Check THIS out:

Watercooling and an i7-965.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=120399246417&Category=179&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Note: The link above was just an example. I wouldn't buy something that expensive from Ebay.

5. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

Okay another one. This one is from falcon northwest. A company my family has bought from before.

Power Supply
    1200 Watt Modular
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    CPU
    Core i7 Extreme 975 3.33GHz
    CPU Cooler
    Liquid Cooling
    Memory
    12GB (6x2GB) 1066MHz DDR3
    Video Card(s)
    2x GeForce GTX 295 (1.8GB) in SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Networking
    Killer NIC K1
    RAID
    RAID 0 - Maximum HDD Performance
    Hard Drive
    VelociRaptor 300GB - 10KRPM
    Hard Drive 2
    VelociRaptor 300GB - 10KRPM
    Optical Drive
    22x DVD+/-RW
    Optical Drive 2
    LG Blu-Ray Reader & DVD +/- RW
    Media Reader
    Internal Media Reader
    Operating System
    Ultimate & 7 Upgrade Coupon

6. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

That looks pretty cool!
    Price? And who made the Power Suply?

The Killer NIC K1 is a bit over the edge, you really don't need that. Too expensive and gives not so much. If you can ask for a PC without that it would be good, though it's not a BAD thing. Just has a low bang-for-the-buck value.

The HDD's will be FAST, but the question is if you think 600GB is enough. You could always buy more though easily.

An OS from M$ is not so recommended. Obviously better to go without OS and fix one yourself. If you can't a Win7 upgrade coupon and Windows Ultimate is really nice!

7. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

7,999.00 that is before shipping. After shipping its going to be about 8,200.00

8. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Assuming your not kidding (which is my inclination), simple question, what is your goal with this new computer? If you say just gaming then the price tag probably shouldn't cross the $2,000 mark unless you are just trying to blow away money and have sufficient amounts to do so. Also, gaming or not, why the hell would you choose to spend the money to have 4 SSDs in RAID 0,1 and not spend the money to atleast have 2 data drives in RAID 1?

EDIT: This was directed at your second setup.

9. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

It's going to be for gaming, networking, and information security studies. I want it to be able to handle the best games while also running a network, and at the same time handle high stress situations when studying for information security. I'd be intentionally hacking it from another PC to kind of practice different situations.

Edit: Plus I've always wanted a godly gaming PC. Kind of the same way some people dream about one day owning a car capable of going two hundred miles an hour. True you don't need that speed but its sure feels awesome knowing you have it.

10. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

If it's your dream: go for it.
    But keep in mind that a 2000 dollar setup 4 times over a long period of time owns one godly pc over a rather short period of time.

A 2000 dollar setup WILL do the gaming.
    And if you are in networking the NIC Killer is a good choice, go for it. Forget what I said.

Also read my post above again (I made an edit with more questions).

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Once you get to a certain point the hardware is only going to matter for gaming (with maybe the exception of the network card). On the security side I would specificly recomend WIndows because of how common the OS is. I would also suggest dual booting with a couple flavors of Linux, to really get a feel for everything. As far as a gaming and hardware goes there is a bigger difference between a $1000 computer and a $2000 than there is between a $2000 and $8000 computer unless custom software is in use.

12. Jshep89

Jshep89 New Member

Could you post some stats or links for me? I'm going off brand names. Also currently I don't have the time to put together a computer myself which is why I am resorting to brand names.

13. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

I would recommend checking out the price of each individual part. You'll be surprised. Trust me. Buying all those parts alone and asking some company to build the computer will be a lot cheaper. If you can't build it yourself that is.

And LordKerwyn is right.
    The gap between a 2000 dollar setup and an 8000 dollar setup is quite small.

Imagine in 2 years. Some new Core i9 will come out with a price tag of 200 dollars that whips your 1000 Dollar i7 processor.

The smart thing to do is 2000 dollars x 4 = 4 computers x 2 years = 8 Years.

Your extreme PC might hold out for about 4.

14. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Because I have been looking at parts recently (I want to build a computer), I have a decent general idea of the cost of various parts. If I had to make a rough estimate of the third computer you linked I would guess the parts wouldn't be more than $4000 if bought seperately. Which means you are probably paying 3 to 4 grand for someone to put together the computer, some of that goes to quality assurance and warranties but it is still something to think about.

15. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

He's payying 4k for the parts. Around 1k for the OS and the rest to make it IMO.
    That's why I told him to check out the parts' prices by themselves.

Now he won't be surprised.

<.<

He should give the parts to some company that will build a PC for around 200-300 dollars if you have the parts.

16. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    My dad builds our computers. Much cheaper. I think thats something I Need to learn.

17. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Yes.
    Building your own PC is both EASY, saves you MONEY, and you can also EARN money from it.

Start reading a guide or do like me and spend 3 hours trying to install a DVD Drive. And then a Harddrive.. and then a CPU.. and so on.
    That's how I started, and not I can pretty much do anything I please with my PC.
    Recently I made a bold decision of cutting some wires from my fan to connect them to my new 6 Channel Zalman fan controller. Because before the LED's wouldn't show on the front.

The yellow RPM wire and the black and red + - where on two seperate connectors (3 pin and molex) so I welded the yellow one to the 3 pin wires coming from each entrance in the fan controller.

Now I now how THAT works. I've learned something new.

Gotta say though, I didn't have older lab rat computers to fool around with. So my experimenting was with my own ones. Scary.

18. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Flat out, my PC cost 1400. I have yet to find a game I can't run on max settings with less than 30 fps (barring being in the middle of an explosion). Fallout is the only exception, but that's because I run no less that 40 mods with it. Even then, it's usually around 45.

19. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Me too fenix except mine was 1k. My dad didnt have the time to build it. So he sent it to a company he liked :p

20. Lobsterlegs

Lobsterlegs Guest

Lucky me, I bought my PC when the dollar was 6 Swedish Crowns.
    Now it's about 8.

I agree with you Fenix.
    Hard to find a game not to max out for me too with my around-1200-dollar-setup.

Crysis is the only exception I believe.. a bit lower FPS there.
    But that's because I'm using 4870 in Crossfire.. ATI is not for Crysis.

[​IMG]

I think Blizz is gonna like that sweet OC ^^

Go Mr. Budget OC