Quick question regarding Graphics card temperature

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by JusticeX19, Aug 2, 2010.

Quick question regarding Graphics card temperature

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by JusticeX19, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JusticeX19

JusticeX19 New Member

Alright so let me begin by saying im not a computer techy or any sort of that matter.
    I recently installed a new graphics card(ATI Radeon HD5770) along with a new PSU (Corsair 650w)

My question is "What is the average temperature should a graphics card be running at?" I was looking at the Catalyst Control Center to check wut that is and i find that it displays all sorts of info about the card. At the temperature part when im playing SC:II its running at 65-75c (~70c To be somewhat accurate) So is this a normal temperature? (*Gulp*). In the CCC i also see you can manualy control the speed of the fan, i havent really messed with any of the settings B/C i dont want to screw anything up so i just left everything at its default settings.

So yeah if anyone can answer my Q' it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Makeahole

Makeahole New Member

Atlanta
    I'm not sure if there is an actual "ideal" temperature that any chip runs at. I think the most important thing is to keep a steady flow of air through the pc and keep all of your chips as cool as you possibly can. When they get to hot is when you start having problems. I've never heard of any complaints arising from my CPU being to cold ;)

3. Archangelclk

Archangelclk New Member

I think it should be fine as long as your not oc it, graphics cards can get extemely hot, hotter than cpus from what i have heard. I wouldnt worry about it unless you have the worst case in the world.

4. TheXev

TheXev Active Member

Corry PA USA
    I always say, run the fan at 100% while gaming. I spaz out when the temps are over 50C! If your card runs to hot for too long, it can burn out the thermal paste you are using. Crank that fan up and see how much cooler it runs (unless its too loud :/ your choice).

Fans... the reason i game with headphones. XD

5. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Member

Meh, even 80C should be safe. Even with deterioration, you'd probably want to replace the card due to it being slow before needing to replace it due to failure. Also, if your thermal paste is prone to burning out at those relatively low temps, that just means you need to replace it.