Question RE: Raven's abilitiies

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Jun 9, 2009.

Question RE: Raven's abilitiies

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Novacute, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Novacute

Novacute New Member

So i'm aware the the Terran Raven currently has 2 Skills Hunter Seeker & Auto-Turret. However, i'm still not quite sure what the 3rd skill is. Some sources say it's a defensive drone and others call it an offensive drone which increases damage by 50%. Does any1 know what the third ability Raven is? If so, please provide details and link if possible. Thanks.

2. me555

me555 New Member

I thought it was called Nighthawk ???

3. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Ya, the B-Report said night hawk, hunter seeker missiles and auto turret. I am not sure what the third is. Good luck finding out.

4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

if i'm not mistaken it still has the spider mine. The defence drone was given to the nighthawk/raven after BR-2 if i'm not mistaken. that would be 4 abilitys unless they removed one without telling us

and blizzard does remove stuff without telling us......

5. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    Last we heard blizz changed the name to raven officially confirmed in this blue post:

Question:
    Answer:
    Source

According to this wiki the Raven has Three abilitys.

1. Hunter-Seeker Missiles: Slowly follows a target enemy unit to explode for 150 damage in an area. Enemies can retreat from the missile to avoid the damage.

2. Deploy Auto-Turret: Deploys an Auto-Turret which is a stationary defensive unit.

3. Deploy Defensive Drone: Deploys a Defensive Drone which can intercept shots fired from base defenses, such as the Terran Missile Turret or Zerg Spore Crawler.

4. Detection

The Raven no longer has the previous night hawk ability of spider mines though i wish it did that was a great ability and will probably be in the editor.

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    the hunter seeker missisle could be great as an harrasing attack, like the old eraser.

7. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Agreed furrer. But it's main job is to support other units in combat. Personally, I think it's better than the old terran science vessel.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    lets say different. 14 sv's lategame could irritiate everything, hunter missiles can at least be avoided.

9. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Dummbbbbb, Nighthawk name was way better, what is blizzard thinking.

10. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    they said (somewhere, dont really care to look right now) that the name Nighthawk gave the impression of a fighter class unit.

11. me555

me555 New Member

Raven sounds...............

12. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Thanks for the information Seradin. It's much appreciated.

I also agree with Coctan, the current Raven is so much better at supporting. It definitely requires more macro. The hunter seeker can be avoided with relative easy during late game for Zerg due to speed increases and creep bonuses.

13. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    lurkers_lurk that post was in the same topic but karune did say that nighthawk seemed more fighterish..

14. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Agreed Novacute. But Bcs will have a hard time avoiding it. It's pretty slow compared to the other units. It's true most units will be able to dodge it, only if the player is paying attention. The player will be managing a lot of things. Late game you could lose a fleet if your not looking around at everything. This is very hard. Seeing that you have no warning when the hsm is launched. When it hits you will know, but units won't automatically dodge it. It will still be effective if the player isn't looking. If he is it won't. But you can use it to distract them while you attack their base(s). They will try to organize their army and fleets, while the hsm hits it's target. Again it will stay affective. Unless you got them hold up in one base, and everything they have is in that base. Then they will be distracted, and you launch your attack on them.

15. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Yeah you're right, but i figured if a zerg player masses mutalisks, they'll have a much easier time avoiding those missiles.

16. sniper64

sniper64 New Member

Upper Michigan, US
    Lol imagine a thor fighting a raven, lmao. PWNED!

17. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

lol. The Thor wouldn't have that much time to avoid it. But it would have a slightly better chance than the bc. Seeing how the bc is very slow. Well I guess they are close or are the same speed. But both of them would have a chance. If you could destroy the missile, then the Thor would destroy the missile before it hits him.

18. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Both the Thor or BC would have a decent change of destroying the Raven, preventing it from dealing more damage after launching a HSM. They could then be repaired.

19. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Thors also have a really long ata attack so it would probably be a waste to try to bomb it with the raven by itself.

20. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Exactly- a HSM can't even kill a Roach. I'm having trouble seeing one being a real threat to a Thor. You'd need multiple Ravens, coordinating an attack, and even then, the Thor's attack would probably mess them up.