Psi Storm for Infantry Raids

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by RaiseTheFlag, Oct 21, 2009.

Psi Storm for Infantry Raids

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by RaiseTheFlag, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RaiseTheFlag

RaiseTheFlag New Member

Protoss' High Templar is a better defense against infantry Raids. The only zerg specie that could survive the Psi Storm is the Ultralisk and Roach (half dead) but all the rest would be killed by it.

As for the Terran. Every unit under the barracks as well as Hellions will get killed easily for about 2 Psi Storms.

I've seen a team of 6-7 High Templars kill an army of 3-4 Thors + 12 Marauders get defeated by microing Stalkers.

So the question is ... How do you kill the High Templars from afar? Broodlords might be the answer but the metagames urges you to do otherwise.

Taking fire need assistance~

2. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Ghots's Snipe for Terran. As far as I know, 2 hits should kill a fully upgraded High Templar. Easy. And if you get that many Thors killed, then you're a total noob. The new single unit damage ability they have can pick off a High Templar before they even get within casting range.

As for the Zerg, send Zerglings (with speed upgrade) to swarm them quickly. They can't really target with themselves in the target area, so a High Templar will die almost a 100% sure if Zerglings can get close.

By the way, it should also be noted that the area of Psi Storm has been decreased since the original game. It still works, but you can dodge it more easy. Or he you get caught in one, you can get out more quickly. I'm more concerned about the new Carriers. You know, since they now already have Interceptors when they're warped in.

3. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

If you have tanks covered and you can get snips off or emps i dont see a problem vs High templars. Unless theres like 20 of them and you just cant stop them all.

4. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    If your opponent has the time to build 20 HT before you get Ghosts, then you deserve to lose. ;)

5. alex1

alex1 New Member

You won't need that many HT i think :)
    4-5 sounds reasonable enough.... and bear in mind that the AoE has been lowered.

6. Redlazer

Redlazer New Member

Carriers start with interceptors, and Overlords have become old, ****ty and senile, and need to be morphed into ****seers for detection. Sense? Missing in action.

7. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    why are people now worryed with the HT's? its like a Zerg player not liking the way the queen has turned out.
    and the same with the terrans and the thor, watch BR4 and you will see that the Thor seems balenced, and the HT's are balenced enought, if you had the right numbers of HT's though you could wipe out whole players and many bases of units.

and yea it seems like the Zerg units have gotten down grades, but I don't think their that bad to play, all we need is a Battle Report with David Kim playing Zerg and we will see how F***ing bad @ss they are.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. alex1

alex1 New Member

If only David Kim would play Zerg or Protoss for a change ..... :p

9. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    That's a sneaky *** adbot.

How much damage does Psi Storm do anyways?

And how long does it last at the targeted area?

10. alex1

alex1 New Member

Psy storm in SC1 did 112 dmg over quite a long period (maybe 7 seconds? I dont remember)
    In SC2 it does less, with narrower Area of Effect, and I've heard it does 80 dmg but over a much shorter time.

11. bragesjo

bragesjo New Member

Sweden
    Using snipe i easier said than done, it deals 45 damage (ignores amor, no bonuses, only biological units, 25 mana)according to latest info. Well placed Siege Tanks in siegemode is probelby a better counter if some sort of spotter is used. Emp could also be usefull but it is tricky to fire it without being hit if there is a observer nearby.

12. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Don't ever forget that the High Templars can also cast hallucination, although it is an underrated skill, the benefits for using it are tremendous especially when used at the right time and at the right target. I've seen deception tactics in korean e-sports using hallucination to make it look that the player has a lot of carriers wherein fact he just had 2 and made it look like he has 6. With good hallucinations, snipers success ratio will be lessened.

13. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Forcing a Protoss player to use Hallucination is already a partial victory- every point spent on a Hallucination is a point not spent on Psi Storm.

--

A so far unmentioned Zerg counter: Infestors. Neural Parasite.

14. alex1

alex1 New Member

Last I saw from the Wiki, Hallucination has been moved to the Nullifier, so what's left for the HT is Storm + Phase shift. The latter being quite nifty I think ^^.

But In any case, Hallucination is much more useful than you think. Besides the "bluffing" and "scouting" factor, it is also used as an antiminer and as some gamers like to call it, a Tank "bomber". I would bet those roles haven't changed too much in SC2.

15. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I never really explored hallucination during sc1 but can someone confirm if a hallucination of a probe can gather minerals? Since they gave the hallucinations the power to attack, maybe harvesting isn't much a difference. I could just imagine how useful it can be as a resource harassment or possibly a proxy miner.

16. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    They definitely can't harvest minerals. That would be a cool macro mechanic, however.