PS2 Question

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by kuvasz, Apr 20, 2008.

PS2 Question

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by kuvasz, Apr 20, 2008.

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I found a quite cool game for the PS2 in the form of Worms Blast :D The trouble is, it's actually a PS1 game.
    I've heard that since PS1 consoles have a very limited memory capacity and that the games don't load too much into the console memory and so the disc is kept spinning at all times. My question is: how bad is it for the PS2 console (specifically the optical bits) if the disc is read very frequently for small amounts of data (which is not the way PS2 games work)? I've heard it busts the drive fairly soon.

Could someone with more knowledge enlighten me please?

2. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    I don't know about consoles but If the game is for PS1 you could try to make iso of it and emulate on your PC. That way all your drives would be safe from harm

3. kuvasz

Hungary
    There's actually a PC version of it, so I wouldn't need to emulate it. The reason I want to play it on the PS2 is that the general gameplay - especially two player mode - is much more convenient with the two joypads, as opposed to the one keyboard.

So far the game on the PS2 has been working fine, no hiccups, no shattering display, or anything else that I've been warned to keep an eye out for when playing a PS1 game on a PS2. However, I wouldn't like the console to start acting weird in about two weeks' time just because I insisted on playing that game.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Play for shorter periods of time, an hour at the max, and give it time to cool off in between.

You could also pop open your PS2 and place a better motor in there (The stock one sucks giant hairy monkey balls), but that voids the warrenty. If you've had it for more than two years though, that's probably the best option (As their warrenty is only two years parts/labor)

5. kuvasz

Hungary
    Wouldn't that cost me about the same as a new console? Warranty is not an issue though because it's already rigged *cough*

Oh, and before I forget. Does the disc (CD in this case) determine the minimum burn speed? I couldn't find anything on this with google. It's important because I seem to only be able to burn at x16, which is four times as fast as the recommended maximum for burning PS2 games.

I can imagine my PS2 going nuts with a PS1 game burnt at x16. Luckily I've only had the game since yesterday, so it hasn't been stressed too much, hopefully.

Any help if highly apreciated.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

A new motor? No, they're like 20-30 bucks.

Burn speed? I dunno about min speed actually. I'd assume there really is no minum speed.

7. kuvasz

Hungary
    I thought so too but it seems there is. Even though I set x1 in the burning program, it displayed a data transfer rate that roughly equals to x16, according to this chart.

I'll look into this new motor thing. Hopefully they'll be cheap because of how old the PS2 is, although the cost of electronic stuff is considerably higher here. Thanks for the tip.

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Wait, where's 'here'?

9. kuvasz

Hungary
    Hungary. And by higher cost I mean the actual price plus compared to the average salary.

10. Vestige-

Vestige- New Member

consoles ftl, go play some sc man lol

11. kuvasz

Hungary
    Alright, I seem to have found a website that deals with changing parts and stuff, but now I have further questions about this.
    Would I need motor unit BA 5815 FM or BA 6664 FM?
    I've heard the reading head(ww?) breaks from continuous operation as well. If so, which one would need to be replaced, B or C?

My console is version 15, model number SCPH 77004, if that helps anything.

12. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    my PS2 is 1 year old :D.
    my PS1...YAY LOL...
    i have to say around 2-7 years,lol.
    sorry i cant help u,sorry :D.
    is having a PS1 that is around 3-7 years above waranty?

P.S
    i cant play PS1 cause i cant find the wire that sends electricity to the console,lol.
    And i cant play well with PS2 cause i dont know where the Memory cards are,YAY lol.

13. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i cant help you, but i do wanna tell you something.
    My friend has played his ps1 games on his ps2 for about 3 years. And then his ps2 got stuffed. So yeah, dont play ps1 games for like 6 hrs on your ps2.