Protoss surrounding shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Sagathox, Aug 5, 2007.

Protoss surrounding shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Sagathox, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

As i was writing a post a few moments ago, i thought it could be cool if the protoss had a shield surrounding their bases, i think it fits the way they are making special shields for units, protoss only tech, the barrier of course shouldn´t be really strong, just hold a couple of strong blasts and then disapear, each hit takes away energy from the building its made, mainly my idea came from the tall dark templar buildings that were always build in pairs, maybe between them an energy shield expanded, i dunno, something like that, what do you think?

2. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

its ok with me, coz i dont really like rushes and the fact that bases in starcraft are easily sieged or destroyed because defensive structures like canon turret sunken etc have a few hitpoints.

3. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

thats pretty much the same mechanic as the sheild battery, would make for some awsome animations though

4. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    I think it'd be awsome if you could build "shield projectors" that can produce an additional shield around a selected area :p. I'd be cool for defense.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah....It'd go with the whole "bubble" idea that SCII seems to be rolling with

6. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

Yeah but to try to make it balanced, enemy units could enter it and then attack normally, so the only use of the shield field would be to defend against some long range units such as thor and siege tanks, until the counter units arrive, and i think its fair, because the terran now have bunkers, aa, a new gatling gun turret, detectors, planetary fortress and their siege tanks with some little thors, and what are the protoss using? ohhhhhhh yeah, some AWESOME... not really, moving weak defenses, cool uh? so i guess they really could use these shields and the game should still be balanced.

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    how about a giant dinasour thing with a sheild projector on its back?
    maybe units could walk through but not attacks?
    Maybe the craft part should change to wars?

8. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

It would be. I think that is pretty much what that one High Templar power is. It can stop units from passing certain places. Ok, it works a little bit differently.

I'm not sure that the Protoss need any more base shields than the ones they have around every building though.

9. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    Actually I was referencing the exact same shield the terran's get with thier new defensive matricks except for buildings. :p

However I dont beleive this should actually happen...I just think it'd be cool to look at

10. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I'd rather see the return of the shield battery with an increased cost but the ability to recharge unit/building shield within a certain radius.

11. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Thats just not toss like lolz.

12. GrahamTastic

GrahamTastic Member

Yeah! That would make it way more useful. I never used the original because it couldn't regenerate buildings.

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I could see a temporary shield generator that would put a bubble over a small area.... I've always thought the protoss should be able to create "force fields" if you will.

14. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

well i agree that for practical uses, maybe the battery shield has the same use as a bubble of energy shield, but it's 2008 people! they deserve some new and cool graphics, and a big round shield around your bases weak spots would definitly be one of my favorite choices. and it shure could come in handy with that little thor around.

15. Indigent

Indigent New Member

I think that since the comand center has the planetary fortress, the nexus should have a giant shield that is even big enough to cover the probes like the size of the time bomb. You could turn it on or off to save energy for later purposes when it actually needs to use it. It would be a neat way of ballancing out the planetary fortress.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well traditionally the protection of the Nexus has been left up to the cannons. Terran never really had that benefit. You had to build a barracks and then leave 4 marines there. More often people left turrets and then had to have a tank or two sitting around. This planetary fortress will allow the player the luxury of looking away from his mineral economy for a couple of seconds instead of being paranoid about a sudden drop attack like we've already seen from the vikings and reapers.

The Protoss have had this relatively cheap ability for a long time.

17. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I am picturing the big bubble shield the Gungans used in SW Episode 1... and I think there is a similar base-shield in SupCom.

I don't really care either way, but I would like something that has the role of a shield battery... something to recharge or recharge faster.

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I agree with 10-Neon the protoss dont need more shields they need a way to get the shields they have back.

19. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    The Gungan shields in The Phantom Menace are one-way. The Gungans can fire out, but the Droids can't fire in.... Heavy firepower does break through, though.

I don't see that being fair... but I do like the idea of either a wall-type thing the Protoss can throw up in a certain direction that can be taken out from the back, or a full bubble that can be put up for a limited amount of time.... like a minute or something....

20. NOLSniper

NOLSniper New Member

I like this idea as well /signed