Protoss Spellcasters?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by lvhoang, Apr 17, 2009.

Protoss Spellcasters?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by lvhoang, Apr 17, 2009.

1. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    I just noticed that the Nullifier lost is Molecular Disruption........... no more offensive ability for this unit? this would make me use it less I think ;(

Also the Psi Storm from the HT seems to have a much smaller radius....

this is a major issue for protoss players who in SC21 really relied on their spells. Now what?:wacko:

2. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    They have plenty of spells at their disposal, they're just spread out across different units (and 1 building).

Blink, Force Field, Hallucination, Psinoic Storm, Phase Shift, Anti-Gravity, Time Bomb, Vortex, that warp prism ability, Argus Link, Null Shield, and Proton Charge.

Sure they don't have anything quite as powerful as the arbiters stasis field, and the psi storm shrunk, but the zerg lost dark swarm and plague, and the terrans lost irradiate and EMP.

I think blizzard is trying to avoid battles decided entirely by blanketing the enemy army with 1 spell.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    yes, you're prolly right, I was just wondering whether the Nullifier makes enough sense (in terms of usefulness) as a unit.

4. Mong0!

Mong0! Guest

Ive never player SC21 :O
    xD

5. Dragon God

Dragon God New Member

Vancouver
    The terrans still have the emp, the ghost uses it.
    kinda launches it from the gun

6. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    WOw seriously? Im probably gonna use the nullifier very little, and psi storm has also been nerfed in damage along with its less AoE... anti-gravity on the phoenix is bs, porce field just creates chokes, which arent really that helpful during battle, the mothership abilities are very costly and high-tier, and the dark pylon abilities are support.

7. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Last I heard ghosts had lost emp too. And even before they lost it, it was nerfed to limit the damage it did to shields and energy (something like 100 shields and no idea about the energy).

8. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I still say give the temp or the nullifier the anti gravity and give the phoenix a offensive ability like every 3 seconds of attacking it launches a missile at the unit doing 16-20 damage versus armored units.

9. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Phoenix will obviously have to be buffed up a bit if blizzard wants us protoss player to use it....., as well as the other spellcasters :(

10. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    I absolutely agree with ivhoang.
    @Bthammer: maybe a researchable ability that does a certain damage with AoE?

11. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    Yup, something like this would definitely be nice!

12. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  13. lvhoang

lvhoang New Member

Seattle, WA, USA
    ...if only Blizzard's Karune came here more often he would see a lot of useful and balanced ideas to finish off the beta!

14. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    If they move anti gravity it would have to go to the templar so it's not spammable early game from the nullifier.

What is wrong with it where it is though? I think it fits perfectly, gives roving phoenixes as least some ability to take ground units and is a much more flexible ability in a fast air unit, IMO the only thing that needs to be changed is the phoenix needs aoe in it's normal attack and it will be fine.

And to the main point of the topic, every race's spells have been nerfed, no dark swarm, plague, emp, irradiate, lockdown, broodlings, parasite- oh i'm sad now :(

Also; giving an air unit blink seems against the point, they can already move free from restraints like cliffs and can cycle back without needing to move more than what you are cycling, albeit not as easily, quite a pointless ability for an air unit.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  15. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Anti-gravity fits well on the phoenix. I think it would be too powerful in the hands of templar (on top of the other templar abilities) or nullifiers (since nullifiers can be massed more easily).

I think phoenixes will be a staple in any late game protoss army, not only providing AtA support but also using anti gravity to snipe enemy casters. Or if you have enough phoenixes, to simply remove a large portion of the enemies ground forces from the fight, like a wave of lockdowns.

16. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    @overmind:
    - Razor Swarm
    - Spawn infested marines
    and i thought that the queen still had parasite...

17. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

It makes more sense getting rid of that offensive skill for the nullifier since the name says its no-offensive type unit, and a late game skill like stasis would suit perfect for that unit if only it wasnt that cheap to spam...

18. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I somewhat agree it also give the Phoenix a lot of playability.

19. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I feel like right now though a lot of casters are going to really fall out of use, which is really sad you know? Casters add so much good strategy to the game but right now I can't see a good reason to build nullifiers, infestors or ghosts and the nerfed psi storm and the price of the mothership make me think we'll be hesitant to use those either. A lot of the spells atm seem like mere gimmicks.

20. Ych

Ych New Member

Nullifiers will proof to be very useful if used correctly. Force Field is very useful to wall-in your choke or to block incoming enemies. I can bet you that the pros will do some amazing things with the Force Field that will make us all go," WOW!! How did he manage to pull that off?" Hallucination in SC2 has been revamped a bit. You can choose to Hallucinate any Protoss unit on the tech tree depending on the price (with the exception of Carriers, Mothership, and Colossus. Not 100% on all the units, but from what I remembered, it's the higher-tiered ones). That means, if you Hallucinate a Probe, 6 of them would pop-out to say, a Void-Ray where only 2 would come out. This means that you can Hallucinate a unit even if you don't have the tech-tree necessary for it. You can fake your opponent by tricking them with your hallucinated units making them think that you are going for a certain tech-tree when in fact, you are not.

The reason that Psi-Storm was nerfed in SC2 was because of the introduction of Smart-Casting. In SC1, when you highlighted all your High Templars and told them to Psi Storm an area, all your High Templars would storm that same area. However with the introduction of Smart-Casting, when you select all your high templars to storm an area, only 1 of them would storm. When you select a different area, the second high templar will storm a different area. Think of it as been the same as Wc3. When you tell all your Sorceress to Polymorph a unit, only one Sorceress would polymorph it. Rinse and repeat, and every single unit will be polymorphed without the Sorceress wasting all her mana on the same unit. From this, I believe that Psi-Storm even though was nerfed, will prove to be as powerful or infact, more powerful then it's SC1 counterpart.