Protoss Shifter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by venado, Aug 26, 2007.

Protoss Shifter

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by venado, Aug 26, 2007.

1. venado

venado New Member

Protoss Shifter

Its a ground fast unit, (like vulture in SC1). The main role is as base defender.

It can shift to energy form (cost 75 energy), like photons cannons, but only in a pylon powered area. In energy form it can move even faster (twice than normal) but only in pylon area, and cannot attack when energy form.
    The shifter can cross a base very quickly in energy form, shifting back to normal form to engage enemy units.
    Attacks whit a phase disruptor (?), like an arbiter in SC1 (weaker than dragoon).

With an upgrade, the shifter can work in pairs to generate a psi-wall... two shifters can inmobilize themself, and create a psiwall between each other. This wall dont let ground units pass through, and ground attacks will be stopped.
    The shifters consumes their own shield to create this wall (2 energy points per second of each shifter).
    This can be useful to support immortal, because the light attacks that don't activate immortal's hardened shield will be absorved by the psiwall, and the immortal can attack from back of the wall.
    Air units can pass over psiwall. I dont think yet about reapers, but they wont (I hope).

Here it is a rough concept art that I made in photoshop (is only a draft)
    I hope you liked it.

I don't know too much about balance, so I'm hearing your comments!
    Thank you!
    :thumbup:

2. brc9210

brc9210 New Member

Dont like the idea but I LOVE the unit model

3. venado

venado New Member

Thank you! I'll work more on this.

4. kenshin72

kenshin72 New Member

Looks real nice i also like the shift idea but not the part where its as fast as the vulture it does not fit for protoss and i do not think they're the kind of gameplay who focuses on that base defence its more for terrans.

5. venado

venado New Member

Thank you! And maybe yes, doesn't fit for protoss... :-\

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nice. but i like the model to be a walker like not something that hovers or floats. yes something similar to a colossus. protoss loves 4 legged freaks.

7. venado

venado New Member

Yes, maybe a 4 legged unit. I think as a colossus modification first, but I chose this one.... I have to work more on this.
    Thank you! :good:

8. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

I really like both the model and the concept. It's a novel unit for both the game and protoss and the model looks really cool too. I can imagine a lot of really, really interesting gameplay with a unit like that.

9. -LT-

-LT- New Member

Nice model :thumbup: I like it.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Nice concept and model but the model just doesn't look like a ground unit

11. venado

venado New Member

Thank all of you for the feedback!
    I'll work more on this.

12. Boring unit model, Stop making up new units, the Protoss already have enough units.

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Try not being an asshole please. He is entiltled to his creative liscense. It might not be usefull or needed but that doesn't give you a right to badmouth it.

Try saying "I don't really care for this unit. I don't think the Protoss need any more units anyway"

14. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

i dont get the point of shifting, if it's already got decent speed, it wont need that to just get from one side of the base to the other. it might be usefull for defending outposts, but then you would need a pylon bridge.

wait...is pylon energy needed to stay in energy mode, or to just transform?

15. venado

venado New Member

I thought the first one, but maybe your second idea is better.
    Maybe the pylon bridge can be completed using phase prism... i dont know.
    TY!

16. manaplague

manaplague New Member

Not a bad concept but it's not very Protoss, they tend to be a lot more aggressive and in your face. The art is nice but a bit to much like the Tempest.

17. b0urne

b0urne New Member

Great effort and the model looks decent, but i'm not really feeling the concept

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Ya know I just had a though about a unit the model would fit.

The shield cruiser:
    Dark Templar support unit. Air unit.
    Has minimal weapons but has powerful shield related abilities

---Barrier: Shield cruiser projects an energy barrier that only allows for unidirectional weapons fire (weapons on the SC can fire out regardless of affiliation but units on the other side cannot fire into it regardless of affiliation.) It is an on/off spell like cloak with a moderate amount of energy required to activate the shield but minimal required to sustain it. The damage absorption is linked to the energy as the shield takes damage the energy reserve decreases until it reaches zero and the shield collapses. Shield is generated in a slightly curved wall in front of the unit.

---Recharge: To sustain the shield the unit will be able to draw energy off friendly units reducing their energy to replace its own.

---reposition/redirect: When the shield is inactive the reposition ability is available at no energy cost causing the unit to move sideways and backwards without turning to facilitate shield placement and keep weapons lock. When the shield is active this no turn function is implemented by default so the Redirect ability will be available instead to cause the unit to turn thereby rotating the shield

Upgrades:

Recharge

Shield link:
    Causes barrier to be linked to the vehicles shields increasing the longevity of the shield by transferring half of the damage from the energy reserves to the ship shielding instead. Damage against the barrier will deplete the energy reserves more slowly as long as the ship shield remains but will deplete that shield. Barrier collapse will still be based on energy: the barrier will still deactivate when energy reaches zero regardless of ship shield strength

19. DontHate

DontHate New Member

bird of prey, that idea is awesome. you should make it have like 500 sheilds with 10 health or something. I like it much better than the statis orb.

20. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

It might be interesting if all the statis orbs abilities got put onto a unit like that. I would make it very nice for base defense and a potent caster as well. Good ideas, both of you.