Protoss Shields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 30, 2007.

Protoss Shields

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 30, 2007.

1. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Hmm, so I was just thinking about this. The Protoss shields in SC2 seem to be a lot less substantial than they were in SC1 (with the exception of the Immortal's uber-shield). And, there's still no plan to give the protoss any ability to heal material damage ( Q & A batch 19 ). The Colossus can get an upgraded shield, and the Mothership we saw only had 350 shields to go on top of 950 hp.

But, I have a theory as to why:

1.) The Protoss shields are regenerating faster, in fact at twice the rate they did in SC1 ( Q & A batch 19 ).
    2.) The Protoss shields are also tougher (note in the introductory demo, how they commented that "Normally, this would expose your mothership to significant enemy fire, but the marines just don't have the firepower to punch through that thick protoss shield."
    3.) Fewer shield hp that regenerate faster might make the gameplay faster, and make it more worthwhile to build structures like shield generators or other repositories of energy for your troops. (Does anyone know if shield batteries are coming back?)

There are some flaws in this theory, however. First, they've almost certainly nerfed the mothership's HP--it can't still be 1300, gotta be more like 650 if the BC is still at 500. Also, all-around tougher shields could, even if they were not as depthy, seriously change the dynamics in early game as Zealots battled marines and zerglings.

Any ideas on how the protoss shields are going to work? It's obvious that they're doing some different things with them, but I'm not sure if it translates into "few shield hp that are tougher and regenerate faster."

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the shield/health of the mothership is 600 combined. so its not so powerful anymore. tho i like the new changes to the shields altogether.

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If you watched the gamplay video closeley enough you will notice the Colossus shield regenerates in about a second. The only caveat is that there was a 15 second delay.

I would like to see a shorter delay myself but one reason they can have less shielding is that weapons damage will not be as effective VS shields. The bonuses vs certain targets will probably not be added on to the shileds wihich is the opposite from SC1 where they took full damage regardless of damage type.

4. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Aha. Thought so. The regeneration of the colossus shield did occur very quickly--so quickly, in fact, that I'm certain they rigged it with triggers. They did that for the mothership's energy, and explicitly stated it.

I think a lot of people are being led astray by some of the mechanics in the gameplay demos--a lot of it is going to change, but there are other factors that don't show up on screen as readily as hp that have probably been changed around in those demos. Like, the Battlescruier's plasma torpedoes ability. It killed the marines in less than a second. It's gotta be something more like 3 or four seconds to do that kind of damage, so I'd bet the buffed it up for demonstrative purposes.

Many disagree, however--I've hardly seen a single member independently conclude that some aspects of the demos were tweaked.

5. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    well...i think, that the plasma thorpedoes really do kill small units like marines and zergligs that quick...

i reckon...that the plasma thorpedo does around 5-10 damage each laser........look how many lasers they are shooting...
    but then again....it probably uses tons of energy to pull of plasma thorpedoes and yamamoto gun..so yeah...EMP and feedback would be really nice to counter those big BC

6. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    When you said:
    That is just because it was said when the Mothership advantageous situation. It was because that was when they just activated the Planet Cracker ability on a clustered group of Marines, so it is not that the Marines cannot punch through the Protoss Shield because of how strong the Shield is, it is because they did not have enough time, because the Planet Cracker killed them all too quickly.
    Protoss Shields will probably end up working as they did in StarCraft1. However I'm not sure in the Shield Battery is being reimplemented, and if it isn't then they will obviously have to increase the regeneration rate of the Shields, or change the way in which they regenerate.