Protoss Observatory

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 27, 2007.

Protoss Observatory

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by CaptainPicard, Oct 27, 2007.

1. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

It's time to talk a little more in-depth about that small and slightly boring but essential protoss unit (which will be making a comeback): the Observer.

Observers were built at a Robotics Factory, for which you had to first construct an Observatory. Thus, for SC2 we can expect Colossus and Observer units to be built at the Robotics Factory. (This brings up an interesting point as to what can be built in what order at the Robotics Factory, which I will start in another post.) But, to build the Observers, we will likely first need an Observatory.

I never liked the idea of having to build an additional structure just for the purpose of building one particular unit, especially when that additional structure does not produce units itself. Of course, I understand how well balanced the game was and that such tech tree features were merely in the interest of achieving this balance. But, I wish there could be more incentive to building structures like the Observatory.

The way I would solve it is to have the Observatory be a sort of detection facility in its own right, which would perhaps detect psionic energies in the fog of war at the range of a Sensor Tower, but do so passively and thus not be revealed to the enemy. This means that Protoss would be able to see spellcasters of all races as well as other protoss units with shields in the fog of war. Let there be some bluish markers with a neat-o alien character marking the ground where enemy units are moving.

This way, there are more reasons to build an Observatory, which I think makes the game more involved. In the new game, we'll likely need a Cybernetics Core for even more than just Immortals and Stalkers and upgrades to those things, so that probably doesn't need to change. But, this Observatory still seems like it'd be a terminal branch on the tech tree--make it a "tech shrub!"

Bonus 400 minerals for a great post. Dude cut it out, you're sucking all my minerals. :D

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I think that is a really cool idea. CaptainPicard, you are on a roll.

3. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    You mean the ability to create observers is not a good enough reason to build the observatory? Have you ever played Protoss? ;D Observers are extremely useful and I don't think the buildings needs more abilities to encourage players to build it.

4. Unentschieden

Unentschieden New Member

Is the observatory still in the game? Maybe they took it out to remove confusion with the neutral building.

5. CaptainPicard

CaptainPicard New Member

Yes, it is still in the game. There is a Protoss tech tree published somewhere (look in my other recent post in this forum).

6. kraft

kraft New Member

I think the observer is an unit useful, the protoss need an Observer. The build (Observatory) I don't like very much...
    The Think the observer we can build it enoght observatory...

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I'd rather that it, instead of having a constant ability like a sensor field, have a player-activated spell attached to it. It might be something vaguely similar to Scanner Sweep, but...not.

8. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Here's an idea: Instead of giving it scanning abilities that would overlap with the other races anyway give it stealth capabilities instead.

you can give it counter-counter measures that disable the use of comsat scans in an area so the enemy actually has to bring a detector.

Another option would be to add another layer of stealth so when a cloaked unit is detected instead of appearing just an icon appears denoting its location in either the air or ground like how the sensor tower does. The the units can't be attacked by any direct fire weapons (marine rifle) but you know where the units are so you know where to fire a plasma torpedo barrage at it or drop a time bomb on them to delay them while the counter counter measures were off. Having multiple detectors could counter the ability so a double comsat or 3 nomads would make the unit appear. If the ability is used on uncloaked units like zealots then it would put them under normal cloak. It would also work on buildings allowing you to allow your cannons to survive a little longer

9. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I like the idea but it would have to cost atleast double of the cost of comsat sweep (in terms of energy). Also the current building that unlocks the Observer isnt called the observatory I am pretty sure its called the Null Circut unless blizzard has changed the name since the info was released.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    What happened was the tech tree at one point in time had the reaver requiring a robotics support bay and then the null circut unlocked the observer and colossus. Now the support bay unlocks the colossus and the observatory is back

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Hmmm thats interesting because the tech tree i looked at said that the null circut only unlocked Observers but if you tell me it changed ill believe you.

12. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It depends on which one you looked at.

13. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    I like the idea of the Observatory being a Detector, but they should not be used like Sensor Towers. They should be more expensive so that Protoss players won't surround their base in Observatories. However, the Phase Cannon is already a detector, and can be moved around the base, so, in saying that, does it even need to be a Detector? It definitely doesn't need extra incentive to be built, because Observers are just about the only offensive Detector that Protoss have. The Observatory should not be like a Sensor Tower, in that they are able to detect units in the fog-of-war, because this is a new mechanic and should be unique to Terran. I don't think that it should cloak units either, because that seems like the complete opposite of what it stands for.

14. DontHate

DontHate New Member

i like the idea of the anti-scanner sweep. Not sure this should be used for the observatry, but maybe the dark obelisk. Well anyways, say some terrans scanner sweep ur dt's, and they're visible. Then u can use the dark obelisk to recloak them with another "cloaking" sweep. It can also be used against senser towers so they can't see u in hte fog of war and also they cant' detect u. Anyother thing could be if u have a few zealots and there are some marines on the other side.

15. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    LordKerwyn's completely right, I forgot that the thing had been recommissioend as the Null Circuit, but I think that's good for this discussion, as it ends up making more sense to attach things like the anti-scan to it. Come to think of it, I am pretty sure I've seen games use the idea to a success.

Red Alert 2 had a Gap Generator that created fog of war around the building, so players would have to constantly re-scout the area to even remember what was placed there. I am all for giving otherwise dull buildings abilities, but I am not sure about this one, exactly.

16. jamaylott

jamaylott New Member

well, i mean what kind of abilities can buildings truly have?

they can defend from attackers....
    change their positions (rens-lift-off)....
    even salvage while building.

but it seems all these abilities are reserved for terrans, its as if they are the only ones with a slight edge and all other races are stagnant to some degree?

i would love to see a gap-generator style ability added to the protoss race.

>>>>>>>>>>>.

I thought of a cool ability for zerg buildings last night....

what if all buildings except for the hatchery could burrow? this would allow a cool anti-ish rush technique. to balance it out, perhaps give them a negative hp bonus.... divide by 2 lets say.... so that spawning pool is safe for now while its burried - but cant upgrade tech, and is vulnerable if scanned by a comsat or revealed by a scout...?

17. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

Terran have supriority in buildings, Protoss in units and Zerg in producing.

Anyway, if you want the Null Circuit to have an ability, then it would be a detector. Since dark obelisk might be able to cloak when finalised, the Null Circuitry would detector cloaked units.

Or the Null Circuitry provides detection abilities for all the buildings it comes into contact too. Wait...sounds too Terranish.

My final suggestion would be the ultimate. Null Circuitry, as it suggests, has no circuits. A null circuitry shuts down all non-allied buildings in its range, including Zerg. Of course, it takes a long time to warp in, so you can't rush Null Circuitries (not like a mobile bunker). Players could be stupid by making one at every resource gathering point, but I wouldn't advise it, because to make this effect happen, it needs about three pylons (balancing issues) but it will allow production of observers at one pylon power or less than that.

18. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If it has no circuits, then what are the three Pylons powering? Also, I see no reason why Zerg buildings would be effected by this.

19. Larvitar

Larvitar New Member

I wish I do not have to answer you.

When I say Null Circuit, it nulls other types of 'circuits' or mess them up. Zerg has a circulatary system to keep them alive, and when that system is messed up, the building is rendered useless.

To perform such a task, the Null Circuit requires 3 pylons, a lot of power, to power up its function. Only with such power can it mess up circuitries that are not in direct contact with it.

20. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Sorry, I thought you meant that the building had no circuits, which didn't really make sense to me. But, if Zerg buildings are effected by the Null Circuit because they have a circulatory system, then all organic units would also have to be effected.