Protoss Martyr Concept

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by NateSMZ, Oct 12, 2007.

Protoss Martyr Concept

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by NateSMZ, Oct 12, 2007.

1. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I thought it would add an interesting dynamic to have a unit capable of sabotaging resource crystals.

Since Protoss are the ones with the most crystal experience, I figured it should be part of their lineup. As I imagined it, it should be a robotic unit, that can burrow itself into a piece of crystal. A detector would be needed to see it. If an enemy attempts to mine from the crystal with the hidden "Martyr", the crystal itself collapses and releases a backlash of energy. This removes that crystal from the map, and causes a decent sized AoE blast.

Thoughts on the "Protoss Martyr"?

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Sounds like an interesting concept but I never liked the idea of destroying resources. It makes it sound like a 500 mineral immobile spider mine

3. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

it's a interesting idea, however destroying a whole crystal is way too much, maybe instead of exploding it secretly extracts 1 mineral and warp it back to base every time the enemy mines, leaving the enemy with only 7/8 minerals, i'd imagine this would be quite hard to notice, especially if there are lots of workers

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I like Riker's idea. It is a way to sabotage the enemy economy and I am a fan of subtlety. I would go for taking 2 minerals though than one so the unit has a chance of paying for itself before it gets discovered

5. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

Oh yeah, it wouldn't normally be cloaked or anything - just hidden once it burrows. To keep anybody from spamming these, perhaps instead of being a unit, they should be a spawned unit, ideally from the Mothership, that have a lengthy cooldown between being produced.

I just loved the idea of a person setting up an outpost - going to mine and BOOM out of nowhere, lol.

------
    skimming resources is a good idea too

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Only way it should take a whole crystal is if it can vape an entire expansion and the guard units the person brought

7. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

ok to combine the 2 ideas, the robot is overall a spy unit, it gives small field of vision when burrowed and slowly steal resources. if the opponent discovers it and attack it he'll only have 3 seconds to destroy it (timer stars as soon as the robot receives damage) if the robot survives the 3 seconds then its self destruct sequence would be complete and it would explode causing the crystal to lose 100 minerals and damaging the surrounding area

8. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

oh yeah - I always forget to explain fully... the idea was that the Martyr burrows itself in there and alters the molecular structure of the crystal so that it is in an imbalanced state and ready to react with almost anything.... then some clueless drone or whatever comes and cuts into the crystal and sets off a reaction - the power is mainly directed inward and destroys the crystal structure - but a backlash also happens and vaporizes nearby objects.... it's not massive like a nuke or something tho

........ And I REALLY like BnechReakers last idea there, that combines the two concepts

9. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I like Riker's idea of siphoning off minerals then going kablooey when attacked. What do you think though should it give sight range or would that be OP

10. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

nah - no sight range beyond maybe 1 I think... after all, it's buried in crystal

11. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I figured none since it already threatens to take out those forces anyway and is stealing from them.

I have an addition to that idea.  If there are more than one it creates a chain reaction that gets exponentially more powerful with each one buried in the crystal.  One won't do much besides killing a few SCVs while a full field will annihalate the whole valley

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i thought it would be funny observing foolish workers mining hard without a clue that minerals are being stolen from right under their noses, the sight would be quite small (only see from crystal to edge of cc/hatch/nexus) and really there isn't too much going on around crystals apart from workers. if you are lucky, you might see more valuable info. e.g. supposed enemy secretly fast tech to viking air and one of them flys by the mineral area.

13. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    guys I have an idea. I am taking yours bnech and altering it a little with almost everyones idea I hope you guys like it.

Yes the robot IS a spy unit but instead of seeing the units it will see were they are but not who. Its like the radar tower for the terrans accept it feels the vibrations through the crystal since it is the crystal then and also it gives you 2 minerals for every 'chunk' a SCV/drone/probe takes away from it and yes it is cloaked. It does expload when it is detected and blows up in about the range/width of the explosion is about 2 and a half nexus' lined up. It is produced from the phase prism (not a gateway) because the thing is a huge crystal and the computer matrix is so good with crystals it has the ability to manipulate them. One form of this is transporting units by copying everysingle thing about them and turning it to energy the other is providing power and the last is creating the small mobile mini crystal manipulating computer robots called MARTYRS.

Like it? I know I do.

14. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

i like your adaptation the only thing i think need changing is slightly reduce the size of the explosion

15. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

some good ideas - coming from the phase prism does make sense... I just said the mothership because if they made that back into a super-unit, and there was a lengthy cooldown in producing these, then it would keep ppl from spamming them.... because it would give an unfair advantage to Toss economies I think if it was too easy for them to interfere like this

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

make its energy cost like the broodling, so it can't be used often, also enemy phase prisms shouldn't be allowed to come near your base too easily

17. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    Lol yea but phase Prisms ARE the new transport units but with 2 times the space and plus this would be a great addition to it! and maybe the explosion could be maybe 1 amd three fourths the size of a nexus in width or two?

18. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I'm digging the Phase Prism rework, and I think 1 Nexus range would be fine for the explosion... it would take out a number of workers... that's a powerful attack right there... two Nexus range means it takes out all the workers and prolly damages some buildings too... that's a bit much methinks

I like the stealing minerals concept too...

Considering Blizzard's got a free slot for Protoss with their Star Relic/whatever getting cut... something like this might even be worth their attention...

19. Darth_Bane

Darth_Bane Moderator

Seattle, Washington USA
    They actually have about 5 slots left they said there r going to b 16 units 4 each faction. I can dig the 1 nexus but I think maybe 1 and a half would be ok to right?

20. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

man, this idea is great, far better than the statis orb