Protoss Defensive Structure Concerns

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by PhantomFF, Jul 22, 2007.

Protoss Defensive Structure Concerns

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by PhantomFF, Jul 22, 2007.

1. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    Something I've been slightly disconcerted about ever since the first demo of starcraft 2 came out, is the fact that even though photon (or phase) cannons are now mobile and have easier to acsess power grids. They seem no more powerful a structure then they were in SC1.

Now with alot of Terran units coming out of the woodwork, I look back and think; Will I be eternally using units to defend my base because of the difficulty with phase cannons. The new units coming our are (of course) on par with thier protoss counterparts and leave phase cannons (as the lone protoss defensive structure) looking more and more out of date.

Of course, Protoss in this game have gained alot of crucial mobility, so that thier nice expensive units and buildings get alot more bang for thier buck. The problem being that protoss buildings lack the either outright defensiveness of the Terrans or the (in my head ONLY) ability to defend themselves like I think the zerg buildings will be able to do.

So I guess what I want is a protoss defensive structure that is more sturdy and capable of taking care of itself, or rather something to match what seems to be rising odds against an old friend of mine. (poor photon cannons :/)

2. Ych

Ych New Member

I think that Terrans are meant to have strong defence. It is one of their distinctive identity. If the Protoss were to have a strong defensive structure, then they would be too similiar to the Terrans.

Just like you mentioned, the Protoss will have the Warp in ability that would make them more mobile. You could also use Warp in to defend your expansions if they are under attack. Terran, on the other hand, wouldn't be soo mobile. So they make that up with their superior defence and radar stations. Not to mention, if you are looking for strong defence, Protoss probably isn't the race you are looking for. Protoss will not have defenses that are in similiar strength compared to the Terrans. But they make up for that with their superior mobility with Warp-ins, and their superior individual unit strengths.

Both the Protoss and the Terrans will have totally different mechanics and strengths/weakness. In the end, it would balance out. With all 3 races that works very differently in terms of their mechanics which balances out, it is the reason why SC2 is going to be a great game.

3. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    Aye, I am aware of the Terrans strong defensive leanings, however I guess my point was lost in the babble.

In SC1, the photon cannon was the best all around defensive structure one could find (if a little delicate) while the terrans combined many smaller type defenses into something that was much better then the protoss defense. However in SC2 I dont think that will be the case any longer, which makes me want a little bit of a sturdier defendability of a protoss base.

(and yes I've always been better with terrans but prefered protoss >.>)

PS: Yes I do know it will be balanced out eventually :), but these forums are to discuss opinionations and I personally think it would be cool to have protoss get another defensive structure/solid based defense.

4. GuiMontag

GuiMontag New Member

I would like to see a DT inspired definsive structure. with the photon cannon it really comes down to the cost, photon cannon cost about 200 minerals, if it were versing 4 marines then it would probably win. If you want something that will be able to destroy tanks then it would need to cost 500 minerals, which isnt really worth doing

5. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

if you were concerned about defense, put colosus all over your base >_>

6. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    I'd prefer to put colosus all over THIER base :), but I think it'd be cool if they get a "burrow" option that plants them in one spot. That'd make a cool defense.

And yes I see your point Gui...but then again Protoss were never about cheep >.>

7. TidalSpiral

TidalSpiral New Member

That is a good question, because he's right, the Photons were like the definitive defensive structure. Remember having to navigate an ocean of those bastards with your dropship of ghosts? :p I bet they'll still work, you'll just need a few Reavers and a four leaf clover in your pocket. And if defense doesn't work, "blink" is looking to be a wonderful distraction.

8. PhantomFF

PhantomFF New Member

MD
    Yea, stalkers are looking more and more to be a stable in most Protoss forces.