protoss color....

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by goliath, Jun 24, 2007.

protoss color....

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by goliath, Jun 24, 2007.

1. goliath

goliath New Member

ever wondered why protoss chose the color yellow?? i mean most of their units and buildings are yellow .... anyone think its cool ? or d'ya like to see some other color on them in sc2? i think they should change their color to somthin else...it looks toonish to me....

2. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

I got two answers for you, depending on what you're really asking:
    1: All player colors are divided into certain sub-factions of the races. For example, each color for Zerg represent a Brood, Red being the Tiamat Brood and Purple being Jormungand Brood. For Protoss that's replaced with Tribes. Blue Protoss are called the Sargas Tribe, and Yellow are called the Velari Tribe.

In the first couple of missions in the SC1 Protoss campaign you play as Yellow, the Velari Tribe, as they defend Aiur from the Zerg, and BW/SC2 you play as Blue, the Sargas Tribe, since the Sargas are known to harbor "Rogue" Protoss.

2: The units and buildings may be colored yellow because that's simply the natural color of the material they're using. Someone said it was metal, but i've never personally seen evidence or claim that it is truly metal, so speculation is open that they're using some unknown-to-man material whose natural color is Yellow.

3. Gold

Gold New Member

i always thought it was gold, and i think it goes, although if your settings are down low, the blue and yellow will look very very cartoony

4. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

black and blue

5. goliath

goliath New Member

but still looks toonish...they should make it look lil real

6. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

it is real. in 400 years, it will look so believable

7. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    goliath, have you played StarCraft? WarCraft? Do any of these games look like they're going for "real"? Blizzard purposefully exaggerates their art to give it personality and distinctiveness. If you look at enough games, especially really good games, more often than not, stuff does not even look vaguely "real."

8. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    Gold in SC1 = light side
    Blue in SC2 = dark side

immortals come from dragoons so they are a "light" unit. stalkers are "dark" versions of dragoons. tempest is the "dark" unit of the carrier. etc. etc. All the buildings prolly come from the "light" side too.

lol just a guess though...

9. SirBaron

SirBaron New Member

Yes, storywise the Velari Tribe (Yellow) consisted of Protoss true to the Conclave, while the Sargas Tribe (Blue) consisted mostly of "Rogue" Protoss (i.e Dark Templar). That's why the color changes mid-campaign in Chapter III, since you go with Tassadar and the Dark Templar instead of the Conclave.

EDIT: Ah i see now that i misunderstood what you said. Oh well.

You are onto something though in your theory, most of the structures are of the Aiur-Design (at least those we have seen) while many units from Aiur have been discarded and replaced with similiar units or units of Shakuras-Design.

10. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha i was about to say...

like the "natural" color of buildings and units.

11. paragon

paragon Guest

I liked the yellow/gold of StarCraft
    I do not like the gold gold of StarCraft 2.

Company of Heroes looks real.

12. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

I feel like the protoss would incorporate biological materials like the Mimbari from Babylon 5. A lot of their designs look fairly organic.

13. paragon

paragon Guest

oh god not Babylon 5... what a horrible horrible show. Nothing good can come of it.
    Protoss don't look organic at all. Not even vaguely organic.

14. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

Sure they do. Reaver is pretty organic looking. Plus their armor has stripes a lot of the time. That's fairly organic. Sure, it's a bit of a stretch but it works I think.

15. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

well, the starcraft 2 protoss look extremely organic, now that they have smoothed structures and armor, instead of blocks.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

They used to have these great buildings that looked like golden cities and temples but now they have some ugly fake gold color and they look like colored glass. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    And the zealots run exactly like demon hunters. Bunch of pansies now. Where are my cold hard terminators walking onto the battle with purpose and no fear. Like they are just going to march right up to you and kill you with their blades. Now they walk like a bunch of faeries.

This makes me want to use terran even more exclusively than I did before.

17. coalescence

coalescence New Member

ROFL! Its the first time I noticed that you have 'race: Terran', because of the fact that you have 4 protoss pictures around your profile always made me think that you were a protoss player.

18. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

I think the Protoss should always be a "rambunctious neon pink" color. It fits in with the Protoss's intergalatic festive design scheme.

19. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    hahaha i thought the same too. the reaver was what through me off

20. paragon

paragon Guest

yes, quite the conundrum.