Protoss Abyssal

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Arachanox, Aug 26, 2007.

Protoss Abyssal

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Arachanox, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Protoss Abyssal

As we have learned from various sources, the Protoss Colossus was a great war machine built during the Aeon of Strife. Unlike previous machines which were only used for domestic purposes, such as the probe, the Colossus was built solely to kill and destroy. After the wars ended, the Conclave was shocked by the terror it caused, and banned the Colossi from ever being used again. They were sealed off into distant moons and asteroids, and forgotten for countless years...that is, until the threat of the Zerg forced the Protoss into using these terrible machines again.

However, during that thousand years of peace, the wandering Dark Templar had come across a moon that contained some of the lost Colossi. Studying how they worked, and combining their own essence of the void with it, they were able to transform the colossi from a gold behemtoh with a shining blue core into a dark purple nightmare with a blood red nexus...

The newly fitted 'Abyssal' was quite different from its origin, the Colossus. Its twin lasers were removed in order to make room for Void Channelers, its kharidyain crystal power core replaced with a Dark Templar's soul. The Abyssal wielded dark powers much greater than any single Dark Templar, and they soon became renowed for their potential.

To create an Abyssal, 'merge' a Dark Templar with a Colossi while within the range of a Dark Obelisk.

Health: 150
    Shields: 400
    Energy: 300 (can be upgraded to 350)
    Armor: Heavy [base 3]
    Attack: None
    Cost: The price of one Colossi and one Dark Templar (see above)
    Special Abilities:
    • Dark Veil - costs 3 energy per second. Creates a large, black shadow that follows centered above the Abyssal, and is toggled on and off like cloaking. To the owner of the Abyssal, the black shadow is transparent and all units within it gain 50% defense against ranged attacks. To enemies of the owner of the Abyssal, they cannot see anything beneath the shadow (though the shadow is a large, obvious black dot on the screen) but they can still select their units from beneath it. The Dark Veil is good for bluffing and hiding units.
    • Mind Control - costs 100 energy. Not the classic mind control ability from the Dark Archon in Starcraft 1, but a bit different. When the Abyssal targets the foe to be controlled, it loses half of its shields, making it vulnurable to attack. The unit controlled cannot be directly selected, but fights against your enemies for one minute before being absorbed into the void and disappearing.
    • Photon Eater - costs 200 energy. When pressed, the player can click any location within the Abyssal's line of sight. Any units (allied or enemy) that are caught in the wide area around that point lose their line of sight for 5 seconds, making ranged units useless. Simliar to a mass 'Blind' ability by a medic.
    Other Notes: The Abyssal is very powerful, I know. That is why I have added a few downsides to it. It must be made between two units from opposite sides of the Protoss Tech Tree, and it must be made next to a Dark Obelisk. The Abyssal also takes about two minutes to forge between the Templar and the Colossus, not including the time it takes to make one of each of those units. Finally, Dark Veil and Photon Eater must be researched at the Dark Obelisk and Mind Control at the Templar Archives.

~Enjoy.

2. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

cool unit

war
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

3. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Meh. I like it alright....The Dark Veil is cool.

4. PainKiller

PainKiller New Member

Very nice!
    But The Dark Veil spell reminds me too much of WarCraft spell style

5. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

seems like it's just a replacement for the dark archon....

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

That's a great unit, I like the dark veil ability. :powerup:

7. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

@PainKiller - I wouldn't know, I've never played Warcraft.

@hillzagold - It was meant to be the next incarnation of the Dark Archon. Like the Twilight Archon replaced the original Archon, the Immortal replaced the Dragoon, the Colossus replaced the Reaver, etc. I'm guessing you think that because of the Mind Control ability, and my reason for including it is that I really liked it. However, since you can't directly control the unit you control, you can't control drones and scv's to get access to their tech trees. I didn't really like that in SC one.

@-|LT|- Thanks!

8. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    Yeah but much better and balanced I think. I like the mind control idea.

9. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

Thanks. Though I suppose it essentially is a replacement for the Dark Archon. I love my Darchon very much!

10. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    It looks like a late game heavy caster which is exactly what the Motherhsip is. Assuming they meant to be gotten around the same time the Mothership seems like alot better unit for the role expecially stat wise. The Mothership has a ground only attack which i think is on par with a carrier with 8 interceptors and it has a cloak for ground units and buildings along with planet cracker and time bomb. If you compair there abilities veil is like the cloak the planet cracker and mind control have similar purposes but i think the planet cracker would be more effective and time bomb works on static defnses as well as slowing units. Which leaves attack and the Mothership has one and the Abyssal doesnt.

Although i do think the protoss do need a new unit and if the Mothership is turned back into a super unit then this might become a good alternative but if not i think the protoss need another air unit in my opinion.

11. string_me_along

string_me_along New Member

I agree, but as I miss the Dark Archon, I'm completely fine with it. I'm not the biggest fan of the abilities though, and would like to see mind control return to the real version. Area of Effect blind is not a bad idea.

12. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    Contact Archlimit to do an artistic impression on your unit. Cool

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    First I have to say that is just creepy and disturbing then I will follow up by saying I like it. Don't much care for the mind control thing with not having control bu the abilities that work by creating darkness are very different and interesting.

14. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    No it can't attack which means it's more vulnerable than the mothership. I mean if it's out of energy, it's helpless.

15. A useless unit, the dark archon's abilities have been given to other units and mind control was never of much use in a real game. The idea that a dark templar would merge with a mechanical colossus makes no sense whatsoever, and why would that make it more powerful. Why cant it attack the colossus could why not add "void channelers" instead of replacing lasers. You have way too much time on your hands which you use to develop idiotic ideas.

16. ijffdrie

ijffdrie Lord of Spam

maybe, he is trying to develop his own computergames and is already practizing unit concepts, just like me BTW, and if you think ill stupid you'll have the same fate as the last two guys who though ti was stupid and tried to hit me

17. Arachanox

Arachanox New Member

@Ackbar - Well, first I'll start by adressing you, and then your comments about my Abyssal.

First of all, you are only being juvenile when you try to downplay a simple idea and go about calling other people idiots. Second, it would be a great idea to keep the lasers and the Void Channelers right? Make a super powerful unit that could defend itself and use powerful abilites with over 500 health to withstand even a nuclear missile, right? From a game developer's point of view, that unit would be insanely overpowered, and completely imbalanced, meaning only that your ignorance about the game itself forced you to comment on my system for balancing the Abyssal. Another note, if you actually bothered to read my first post before acting arrogant as if you made the original Starcraft, you'd notice how the mechanical Colossus gained its void abilites by combining the essence of Dark Templar in conjunction with the specially crafted Void Channelers, thus enabling the autonomous machine to liberally use the dark powers of the Templar. Didn't catch that, did you? Read everything before you post, and you may avoid pathetic excuses to insult someone.

I will not power you down, because I am against doing it to people these days. I will have you know that I do not appreciate your rude behavior, and if you have problems with any of my ideas, learn to say so in a dignified, civilzed manner. I do have conversations with people about how they notice flaws in my idea, but yelling and insulting people is NOT the way to do so.

Thank you, everyone else.

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    That is my point if you look at the tech tree stuff from blizzcon this Abyssal looks like it will be as hard to get as the Mothership if not harder. And im not positive about the numbers but it sounds liek there cost will be similar as well. With that in mind who would get this unit over the Mothership? (On top of the overlapping units roles which blizzard seems to be trying to avoid)

Although it still comes back to how the Mothership turns out if it stays the same as it was at blizzcon It would dwarf this unit if the Abyssal was put inot the game.

19. manaplague

manaplague New Member

It's a nice idea but the Dark Veil is a bit to Warcraft make it cost a bit more per second and make is a Dark Swarm like in SC1.

20. Mong0!

Mong0! Guest

move this to sj so taht we can spam the 1337 thread....