problem with comp.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by lurkers_lurk, Sep 29, 2008.

problem with comp.

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by lurkers_lurk, Sep 29, 2008.

1. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    #1: its my sister's comp, she is just giving it to me to help fix it, because i know a little(but still not that much) more about them.

#2: the problem: as soon as the comp it plugged to the wall it turns on but nothing works, the mouse and keyboard doesnt work, and the monitor shows nothing. and it will stay on till i pull the plug from the wall.

she has a better comp. but there are pics on this one that she wants, and will commit to hang me if i dont get them back intact.

how it came about: she just moved the comp. from one house(really our house) to another(her boyfriends about a year and a 1/2 ago) but it wouldnt turn on at all. so she gave it to me to fix, but in my house(i moved houses since then about a year ago), and it does what i said earlier.

she didnt turned to me til now because she got a better comp. but now she wants those pics. on this comp.

Edit: forgot about it, just remember that is a volt switch on the back, and when its on 115 and i turn plug it in, it turns on but nothing works, and when its on 230 it wont even turn on.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. Earthbjorn

Earthbjorn New Member

Is the outlet you are plugging into properly grounded?

Once when changing apartments, my computer went through a phase of randomly shutting down due to the apartments outdated, faulty non grounded wiring.

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    To add to this, even while you already said "forget about it", have you ever thought about just how fragile hard drives are? Just a tiny shock can cause the magnetic disks inside to crack, which results into your screen going black.

However, if that was the case, then you should at the very least still be able to get the standard BIOS stuff on, which isn't happening. If I were you, I would remove the hard drive from that (probably) broken computer and conect it to another computer, possibly even with an external cable if you don't have any room left in another computer. If it's such a new and good computer as you said it was, then the hard drive probably can be connected with an e-sata cable. You can plug those hard drives right into the back of any computer with an e-sata port and windows xp or higher.

I hope this helps, good luck.

4. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    the outlet is just fine, i can work my comp. on it with no difficulty.

ill try the hard drive switching, once i figure out how to open up my comp. for its outside design is that from 1987 or so. if i cant get it to open, ill just will try again with my new comp that will be coming in a week or two.

Thx folks.

5. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    I would suggest part swapping if you have the spare parts. Try to swap power supply, ram. Since it is an old comp you might not hate spare compatible part.

In this case hard drive swapping is the best bet to get those pics, make sure that you physically change the jumper state on the hard drive to have it as slave instead of master.

OR!

Take the comp and put it in the bath full of water. At least you will know EXACTLY what the problem is now :)

6. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    if you just want the pics, then swap the hard drive or something

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    If the screen is blank it's probably a problem with the video card.
    Also since the video cardinitializes first, if it's broke the system won't even boot