Powerup or Powerdown Protoss?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by longlivefenix, Dec 20, 2007.

Powerup or Powerdown Protoss?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by longlivefenix, Dec 20, 2007.

1. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

The current protoss have a power house of units that can slice through enemies with ease. They have units that can easily slip behind enemy defenses and cripple the economy of your opponent. Here is my own review of this mighty race.

Probe: :powerup:
    The probe looks funny but i think it looks good (even though it is basically a ball with pieces stuck in it in a symmetrical way.) ;)

Zealot: :powerup:
    The unit has nice abilities and they look very nice. I like how the color of your team is reflected in the color of their blades (good call blizzard.) There are two things that i think need to change about it; the sweeping attack and the hair. The sweeping attack is one of the most awkward attacks currently. I'm sure that i would attack with a stab to make 'em hurt the worst. The braided hair just looks silly. Even if it is a family tradition it just doesn't fit on the zealot.

Stalker: :powerup:
    Currently I think the that the stalker is one of the best units to come to Starcraft. I will even be mad if they change or scratch it.

High Templar: :powerup:
    The high templar now has much more innovative abilities. This unit has one of the best unit models. The barrier ability is one of the best spells in any game. My only question about this new ability is what will it block? Will it only block missiles or will it black more things like bullets or acid? Also will the barrier block units from entering and exiting it?

Dark Templar: :powerdown:
    This unit currently needs an overhaul. The double scythe looks amazing and I think that it is much more innovative than the normal boring scythe but I can't say that about the whole character model. I hate how spikey the model is. All of the joints look like they could kill you just by touching them! I think that they also look imbalanced currently. They really are too fast. You see them run and its faster than the zealot while it's using its charge ability and it has so much health! This eliminates the need for any unit combination because you could just mass dark templar and destroy anything. Even air units couldn't kill them before they reached their (the opponents) base! This unit is way too powerful.

Immortal: :powerup:
    This unit is one of the best looking units in the game. This unit has the over shield that reduces damage to 10 or less. It is easily one of the most devastating defense destroyers (especially against terran.)

Phase Prism: :powerup:
    Honestly I think that this is one of the unsung heroes of Starcraft 2. This unit will be the most helpful units (and it looks cool too!) The animation of the prism when it deploys is superb. That is fun to watch.

Phoenix: 8)
    This unit is currently useless. It is probably the coolest looking fighter in any Sci-Fi faction but I don't see any use for it because of the complete downgrade of air units in Starcraft 2.

Colossus: :powerup:
    There is no way that this is getting a power down. No possible way. Only problem I see with it is its massive 144 damage per second. Honestly that is over the top imbalanced. I think that the damage rate is definitely going to change or else this will not only be powerful it would be invincible against anything that is not protoss.

Warp Ray: 8)
    Looks very cool but still needs a purpose (just like the phoenix.)

Twilight Archon: :powerdown:
    A complete downgrade in character model from the original Starcraft. This unit has possibly the chessiest attack. I absolutly hate the one arm attack. The attack makes it look effortless and just plain bad. To fix this I think that they need to take the two arms over the head attack like in the original.

Observer: :powerup:
    Cool character model but I can't comment on it any further....

Carrier: :powerup:
    Carrier has arrived.

Mothership: :powerup: :powerup:
    Words cannot describe how beautiful this unit is. It wins the best unit award. The one problem i see though is the cloak field and how pointless it is to have on a unit that is so expensive. The one upside to this ability is that it can cloak buildings. The planet cracker is way to small currently and does too much damage. I think that the planet cracker should be 3 individual beams that deploy straight down to make this unit more of a mass killer. Blizzard, you get the powerup for this unit :powerup:.

Please tell me if i forgot any units ;)

2. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    The Warp Ray is for attacking heavy units and structures, will be very potent against Thors.

I agree with you on the Dark Templar issues.

As for the Phoenix its a basic all round unit so it doesn't need a specific role.

I agree that 144 per second is huge damage and would need a power down or something.
    But remember we don't know its offical specs yet.

But remember they will change a lot of things when Zerg is completly released so...

3. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

i wonder how much the phoenix will do damage wise
    that will determine how useful it is ;)

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    On another site it said it does 5(+1) between two attacks(so it could mean 10(+1)), but it fires a volly of around 3-4 shots pretty fast then pauses which makes up for the low attack power if both shots amount to the 5 dmg.

5. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Something I'd like to say about the TA...

I like the character model A LOT, but I agree with you on the attack. I mean....If it can wreak as much havoc as it can with one arm....Why not two?

6. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    The Phoenix is vs units like mutas because of its overload. Therefore its fine. And the warpray is vs building/high hp because of its greater attack over time

7. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I think the phoenix is as useless as the scout was in SC. Maybe it will worth to buy, cause of the overload, but if it costs too much, I will just forget it.
    And.. i am happy with the twilight archon as it is, maybe it is too powerful, but in SC you could solve this wit ha simple EMP, or Guardians

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    As far as i remember they said that the phoenix would be fairly cheap

9. ZeR[g]LiNg

ZeR[g]LiNg New Member

Warp ray is for a heavy unit killer, while pheonix is good against swamrs of light/medium air

I think Carrier is a bit lacking of a role though. I've never used it except for fastest map possible maps, where I massed them. That's about it though

I tihnk mothership would be a great support unit

10. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

yea the carrier was mostly used in the fastest possible maps but i think that the phoenix, as hunter said, is gonna be used only as much as the scout
    the scout was probably the least used toss unit right underneath the arbiter

i think that the zealot attack is soooo stupid though!!!
    it looks like the zealot closed his eyes and started spinning around randomly trying to hit something
    they really need to replace the current attack with the old punch punch attack that i have come to know and love :p

11. Vindicatormsc

Vindicatormsc New Member

both Mothership and the Carrier are heavy air units.but the Mothership os much more of a heavy support air unit,while the Carrier is more of a damage dealer(but not so specialized as the Warp Ray)

i think the Phoenix will be worth buying,it would be great for worker harassment.but i might be wrong...

oh yeah,we sure need the old punch attack back for Zealots...

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Scout was useless?! never have I played a Protoss player who didn't use Scouts, yes they was expensive but they was the strongest basic air fighters, exellent for harrasing and destroying critical targets and very good at leading attacks.

The Zealots are fine lol leave 'em.

The Carrier was good for a long range assult on a base or support, the AI would attack the interceptors instead of the units 50% of the time. Although, when caught alone or something they was not good at all.
    A Combo I quite liked with Carriers was have an Arbitor follow the lead Carrier along with an Observer then attack the enemies main defense, once weakened or the Carriers came under fire send in some Dragoons and Zealots.

13. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

scout, in my opinion, sucks

too expensive and kinda useless
    stronger than the wraith but doesnt have any special abilities...
    nobody uses scouts that ive seen

edit:
    oh and this is response to zergalicious

14. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

the scout was ridiculously priced and completely lack effectiveness in all situations except against a wraith or in a crazy mass against carriers / bcs
    but still if there is a crazy mass of carriers / bcs you probably have a crazy mass of carriers / bcs / devourers / scourges so it was pretty much useless

15. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

the only reason i would get the scouts would be to take down battle cruisers. But once BW was released i started using the corsairs.

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Probe:  :powerup:
    Agreed.

Zealot:  :powerup:
    Agreed, but I dissagree witht he team color statement I think anything protoss thats is made up of psi energy should be blue, it just looks odd being any other color.

Stalker:  :powerup:
    Agreed

High Templar:  :powerup:
    Agreed

Dark Templar:  :powerup:
    I dissagree for a few reasons, the first (dealing with the power of the unit) is anything that has to do with balance will be dealt with later in the beta so im not that worried about DTs being OP. As for the design of the unit, this really all depends on the opinion of the view I personally like how the DTs look atm.  

Immortal:  :powerup:
    Agreed

Phase Prism:  :powerup:
    Agreed

Phoenix:   :powerup:
    This unit is the replacement for the Corsair instead of the scout. It looks like it is going to have price similar to the corsair and with overload it will inherit the Corsair's job of dealing with mass units. Really in my opinion the only thing the Phoenix is inheriting from the Scout is a ground attack.

Colossus:  :powerup:
    Agreed, again though balance comes later so dont worry so much about the numbers.

Warp Ray:   :powerup:
    This unit has a use and that is dealing with heavy units and buildings.

Twilight Archon:  :powerup:
    I agree with the attack portion of your post, but the last time I heard something about this unit I heard he hovered instead of walked. Also I think this will be a good unit in general so it get the power up from me.

Observer:  :powerup:
    Agreed

Carrier:  :powerup:
    Agreed, but I would like to some change come to the Carrier either give it a new ability or give it better stats, or make it cheaper but do something with it.

Mothership:   :(
    I truly love this unit (if that isnt obvious :p), but I wont give it my support until it becomes a super unit again. The concept was just to cool and to perfect for the Protoss to let die like this. 

17. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    My only main problem is the Carrier and the Mothership issues. Carrier has better range but Mothership has better fire power and abilities. I'd say the Mothership is 1up on the Carrier...

18. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Atm the Mothership is better than the Carrier but it costs more as well. Most of the overlap problems would be removed if the Mothership became a super unit again.

19. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Hmm yea maybe so, I'd say the attacke was basically the same but Interceptors do less damage and confuse enemy units whereas Mothership attacks are a lot more powerful but all the fire is focused on the Mothership. But this is balanced by its ability such as Time Bomb and it has a higher shield or HP?

So I conclude that a Mothership is stronger than the Carrier and would serve more purpose (I know I'd pick a Mothership other a Carrier any day)
    So I now agree with you that it should be a super unit but increase its supply cost to like 50 or something, 8 is was too low for something like a Mothership as one Mothership can equal to a few Carriers.

20. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    i think as a super units it should be 20 food