Potential Stalker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by NateSMZ, Oct 7, 2007.

Potential Stalker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by NateSMZ, Oct 7, 2007.

1. NateSMZ

NateSMZ New Member

I was thinking it would be cool, and fit the unit design if the Stalker could partially utilize the Dark Templar ability to bend light.

So why not have a "Void Flux" upgrade, which would make the Stalkers blink in and out of cloak? It would keep shifting back and forth, at a set rate (such as maybe every 4 seconds) to represent the Dark Templar struggling to control the waves of light around such a large area - so it would not give the Stalker sneak capability. But it would make it difficult for an enemy to judge how large a strikeforce of Stalkers was. It might also make it harder for enemy units to target Stalkers thus equipped.

Thoughts?

2. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It's a nice idea! But I don't know how would that fit into the game.

3. DontHate

DontHate New Member

umm.. i dont really understand. you mean like for a while it's cloaked then it's not cloaked? I dont' really like the idea of that becuase you could be ready for an attack then your stalkers randomly uncloak and he owns them. Starcraft's not a game of chance and luck, just strategy and tactics. it'd be cool if they could "blink" out of exsistance though, like fearie dragons.

4. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    At first I thought you were going to suggest the cloak ability which would make sense, because they could 'bend light' but only for a short duration and it might not cause balance issues because of the Stalker's limited pool of energy. Your version - if I understand it correctly - could easily be abused by blinking to become cloaked and then not use the ability from then on.

anyway, +1 for cloak ability for Stalker (it makes sense because of its name and dark templar origin)

5. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    I like the idea and kuvasz i dont think he is suggesting the stalker cloak whenever it blinks but instead the stalker just randomly cloaks and decloaks.

6. -LT-

-LT- New Member

You're right LordKerwyn. That's what he was suggesting and I think it's a great idea!

7. kuvasz

Hungary
    Right. I think I misunderstood the "blink in and out of cloak" bit. I thought cloak occured when you blinked and decloak when you blinked again. So random cloaking huh? Well if SC2 will have a distinct sound for cloaking and uncloaking like in SC, then I wouldn't research this upgrade. Stalkers continuously making wind noises would drive me crazy.

8. -LT-

-LT- New Member

It would be without the sound.

9. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

like the idea. imagine a room full of monsters at night, and the only source of light is a strobe light.

10. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

lol that would sound cool and what you said about the 'struggle to bend light around them' is the perfect way to phrase it that could be imba unless it is for very short periods of time that there cloaked
    from a tech tree standpoint this may not work because this could be easily OP becuz the lings (or w/e) would attack then stop when the stalker goes invis then try to find another target
    if balanced correctly this could be a very cool visual

i just got inspiration
    what if the cloaking was difficult so they only would use it while they werent fighting as a sort of passive ability so when there not moving or attacking they would auto cloak after maybe 5-10 seconds if blizzard adds a command that is somthing along the lines of 'dont not attack or chase' this could work excellently for ambushs

11. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    If they should have such an ability, it would be better if it was like shadowmeld from WC3. The stalker is invisible if standing still. The idea of them shifting in and out of invisibility seems too random and left to luck.
    But then again, I don't think they really need such an ability.

12. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

great idea!

the way i interpret it is basically it would be like a "part-time cloak" the cloaking wouldn't be random, rather the stalker will be cloaked for 10 seconds and then be uncloaked for 10 seconds all on it's own, the player don't have to do anything about it and can't control it.

13. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

@bnech i dont think that would be balenced early game though
    it would work maybe it the cloaked was 3-5 seconds then the uncloaked was 10-15 seconds

14. kuvasz

Hungary
    Then again, the all too familiar line "Starcraft is not a game of luck" is appropriate here. Which is exactly why this has no chance of getting in the game. My idea is more feasible because it's been implemented on other units and have been proven to be a versatile/fun skill.

15. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    You can always have it as a late game upgrade, but it kind of loses it's meaning then

16. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

@ longlivefenix, it would require reaserach, so you can't get it too early
    @ kuvasz, there are no chance involved if the periods of cloak and uncloak are fixed.

17. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

that would sound more fair but make less sense :-\

18. kuvasz

Hungary
    Exactly. I mean you could wait with an attack until most of your stalkers cloak (because obviously they wouldn't all cloak at the same time).

19. longlivefenix

longlivefenix New Member

thats why i like the motionless for 5-10 seconds then cloak
    scratch the attackless part

20. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    I still think it would be better if they had a kind of shadowmeld. It could be an early game upgrade and useful for ambushes. But I still doubt if any kind of cloaking ability for them is neccesary or fair.