Post-Game Statistics for Suicidal Units

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Michael_Liberty, Mar 13, 2009.

Post-Game Statistics for Suicidal Units

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Michael_Liberty, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Michael_Liberty

Michael_Liberty New Member

Denver
    Not sure if there are going to be stats and a score at the end of a mission like they did in the first. Personally I hope they do I always looked forward to the stats at the end of a mission or skirmish. Anyway with all the focus on suicide units being used a lot more frequently do you think this will count against the Zerg players score? Since your units technically died at the hands of your enemies does that mean that your opponent killed them thus butchering your stats because you chose to imploy a certain tactic?

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Personally, since different units have different uses and values, a basic units lost and units killed stat is meaningless. I'd rather have it be points value based so losing a zergling counts as almost nothing,, while losing a mothership gives a large number. With something like that you could lose 20 zerglings, but if you take out a couple of buildings, you will still have a good damage done/damage taken ratio.

3. Michael_Liberty

Denver
    I agree with this method, unfortunately it wasn't the one implied in the first SC as suicide units did count against you in your overall score as a unit you lost and the enemy killed.

4. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    To be honest, although I enjoyed looking around at all those statistic after the game was over, they held little meaning. The overall outcome is what's important. If you've won, it doesn't matter if you've lost ten times the number of units as your opponent. You won. I often loved looking over the results of any game that had deteriorated to me simply massing Zerglings, as the units produced and lost where huge, with a small fraction of that being the units killed.

That said, I could imagine it being annoying for serious gamers.

Oh, and if you don't mind, I'd like to change the name of this thread to 'Suicide Unit Statistics', or something similar, and the other thread to 'Burrowing Glitch'.

5. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Should count as a lose for you but not a kill for the enemy.

6. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Does the player ranking count the overall score or your total wins, both?

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    I just thought of something, if baneling's didn't count towards losses, would they count towards units produced?

8. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

I agree with Itza but there was always one thing I liked about seeing the stats at the end of a match.

Often when playing online and losing your teammates to D/Cs meant that it would be me against 2 or 3 opponents. Seeing my stats when I lost meant I could see how well I favored and measure my improvements (because anyone on bnet can tell you that the aforementioned situation is not uncommon :D)

9. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    It would be the Zergling that counts as being the unit produced, so losing a Baneling would be no different to losing a Zergling.

10. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Canada
    It would considering creating a pair of banelings = 50 minerals which can be used to create 2 more zerglings instead.

11. cameronielsen

cameronielsen New Member

If Blizzard has spare time they should implement more amusing awards a la Smash Bros. Melee and Goldeneye

12. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

I think they should have the kills of the suicidal units but no deaths unless it is shot and killed.

13. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Exactly my point, the baneling would have to count as a lose or the score would be horribly skewered.

14. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    Correction, it would be no different to losing a Zergling if that Zergling didn't count as a loss. Overall, the loss of a Baneling would be no different to the loss of a Zergling, as the Zergling was the actual unit produced that is now being lost.

Overall, it doesn't actually matter, in my opinion. Having fifty Banelings roll in and having half of them either die or detonate on Marines, Bunkers, etc, etc, and emerging as the victors would be no different to having fifty Zerglings charge in and having half of them survive the confrontation. Yes, the Banelings technically killed themselves, but, just like the Zerglings, they died in combat while dealing as much damage as possible.

And think of it from your opponent's point of view. Fifty enemy Banelings roll in, half of them blow everything sky-high and you wipe the other half out before they can level the rest of your base, and you haven't even earnt yourself a single kill.

15. Michael_Liberty

Denver
    Not if they are killed before they detonate. I know it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but i always hated my score at the end of a match if I was the zerg because my losses were so ridiculous where as the protoss and marines seemed like Spartans because my kill/death ratio was so outstanding. But I suppose if you want to avoid this, roll in the ultralisks instead of the banelings lol.

16. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If they're killed before they detonate then it's no different to your opponent getting a regular kill, like if you simply rushed them with Zerglings or something.

17. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

well if your opponit killed your baneling, he killed your baneling and you get a "loss"
    If your baneling rolls in and blows up it only makes sense to either have you get a "loss" and a "kill" or a "kill" and thats it.

18. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    seriously?
    i never knew that before...

hmm i wonder if infested terrans will be allowed to suicide?
    like, a suicide ability, maybe dealing 60 damage?

19. Michael_Liberty

Denver
    I wish it was a lot more, but since they are spawned and not bought I doubt they will have much use, think broodlings in SC1 with range basically.