Portable Battery Shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by SinCraft, Oct 12, 2008.

Portable Battery Shield

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by SinCraft, Oct 12, 2008.

1. SinCraft

SinCraft Guest

Portable Shield Battery

I'v thought too much since SC1 up to now and I find out why Protoss Players usually don't use battery shield or they don't put it as a main tool . In my opinion there is 2 reason :

1- Batteries have a little capacity to charge large armies or huge vehicles

2- We need this charge ability during the battle in the front lines

So that's Why I think Protoss really needs a "Portable Shield Battery "

Also this device can be used for charging energy but it must be protected against Science Vessel or something else like that

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2008
  2. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    this has been discussed a few times.

i think the main problem is it would overlap with the medivac.

3. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    Wait, we're worried a Protoss unit will overlap a Terran unit?
    The style in which they heal is different, so it's not like Blizzard will be putting the same unit except with different names.
    And I thought overlapping was like the Thor over the Siege Tank back when it was AG instead of AT, it's just assuming the same role on the team.
    But saying that the Shield Battery would overlap the Medivac is like saying the Zealot overlaps the Zergling, in the role of a melee fighter.

In my opinion =)

4. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    what i meant was it takes some originality out of the terran healing (medivac and repair).

personally i think this is a great idea.

5. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

Well i don't think it's so much that as the shield battery has lost some of it's purpose. In the original starcraft it was used either when someone was directly attacking your base which would still help in SC2 or for you to have your units fall back and regain their shields quickly.

In SC2 protoss units have kinda of a built in shield battery. When not under continuous attack (ie. constant attack from a zergling or fire from a terran unit. Just something damaging within a certain time period they have set) their shields regenerate at a much faster rate. You'd have to ask jon about just how fast they do come back, but from what i know the shields regain quite fast when the unit is left alone for a short time.

6. me555

me555 New Member

Yeah it would be cool if there was a unit that served as a portable Battery but wouldn't it make it a bit cheap for the other non protoss players if it was used like a medic?

The main reason there is a medic or medivac is to expand the lifespan of marines that are quite weak. The zerg and protoss reap the benefits of auto regeneration of shield and health. I mean arent the zealots awsomely strong early on in the game?

But it still sounds like a good idea.

7. SinCraft

SinCraft Guest

OK let me explain more .
    Q :What do you explain about battery ?
    A : The battery is a power source for emergency usage .It is actually portable.

In Original SC "Shield battery" is not applicable for cheap or even normal units such as Dragoon or Zealot

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Like it was said before: there is no reason to have a protable shield battery at the moment. I already started a discussion about this some time ago, before we even knew more about the regeneration rates. At the time we already concluded that it would be overpowered to have two ways for the shields to recharge at a very fast rate.

Furthermore, you just gave us another reason to not like the idea: you want something for emergency use. The Protoss already are a powerfull race, if you can get them into a state that a player would define as an "emergency", then that's probably your only chance of beating them. Having portable shield batteries would make the Protoss almost unstoppable in both offensive and defensive situations. That can't be good.

I don't like bashing new ideas, especially if they come from new members. (I also got a lot of negative reactions when I was new.) It's just that I can't see this being balanced properly, especially for multiplayer. Perhaps it can be used in the singleplayer missions? That would be a great addition, especially for those missions where you only have limited units and don't have the recources to build more. If you get overwhelmed when taking a wrong turn or something like that, the protable shield battery will give you just that little bit of extra power you need to escape.

Can someone add a poll to this topic? Since Blizzard just stated that there would be multiple units in the singleplayer game that would not appear in the multiplayer matches, this idea could actually be quite interesting.

9. Salvationvsfate

Salvationvsfate New Member

Somewhere big^^
    Rlly?, that'd be pretty cool.

10. freestyLes

freestyLes New Member

The protoss are already too strong..look at protoss compared to terran and zerg. The protoss are really fine as it is since the team has worked on them the longest. The regeneration rate of the shields have been upped correct me if i'm wrong. Protoss pretty much already rape terran and zerg at this point. Why would they need something like this to unbalance the races even more?

11. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    if you gave them portable batt. shields....
    they would be... like.... invincible....

think of a fleet of portable batts and a mothership...

12. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    And some enemy anti-air which would make the Mothership defenseless...

13. Crouse

Crouse New Member

Paw Paw, MI
    Yeah the regen rate of the shields when out of combat is really fast. At blizzcon they only needed to be out of combat for a few seconds, 4 i think. to start the recharge, and within another few seconds they would have full shield. It was fast enough that you could use a cycle of blinking stalkers to the back of a group to recharge shields. By the time they got back to the front they would have full shields. Given that works best for stalkers, but you could really use any unit you wanted. Point being there isn't really much use for a portable shield battery, as the only time it would be needed, your probably too out numbered for it to make much of a difference.

14. Capn_Crunch25

Capn_Crunch25 New Member

Illinois, USA
    i Blizzard was to tone down some of the powerhouse-ness of the protoss unit, i think i portable battery shield could be a fair thing to ask for...

15. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

The protoss alrighty murder the other 2 races. Look at BlizzCon 2008. Both games they won massivly. They really don't need anything else.

16. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    well, if they take away the rapid regeneration when out of combat a portable battery shield wouldn't be a bad idea.

17. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

Your correct overmind. But if blizzard does do that, it will push the release date even farther out. For balancing reasons.

18. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    or they could do what they always do and make heaps of patches :p

19. LoVeRBoy[E]

LoVeRBoy[E] New Member

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
    wow alot of fus over somthing that alot of peps dont rely use(from wat ive seen)

20. Cotcan

Cotcan New Member

The protoss alrighty done. Blizzard know what they are doing. The shield reg. is good enough. Do you really what to give the protoss a massive advange over the rest of the races. They alrighty kicked zergs butt 2 times in a row in the BlizzCon 2008. Do you want the noobs to beat the crap out of the pros, just because of a race differnece? Plus everyone would rush to protoss.