POLL: BlackHole Suggestion

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TheFearless, Aug 16, 2007.

?

Which BlackHole Suggestion should the Protoss Mothership have?

1. BlackHole # 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. BlackHole # 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BlackHole # 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. any of the above, BlackHole pawns and it makes the Protoss Mothership a Mothership

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. none, BlackHole is overpowered and needs to be removed for balancing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

POLL: BlackHole Suggestion

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by TheFearless, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TheFearless

TheFearless New Member

Protoss Mothership

after the change, the Protoss Mothership is not a Mothership anymore. So many nerfs were given to it especially the well-loved, pawning and owning "Black Hole". It is not a super unit anymore. We would rather have 1 powerful super unit than multiple weaker units. But, with my suggestions hope the SuperUnit title is given back to it.

Blackhole # 1
    drags units to a blackhole and are temporarily removed from the game, units will return after a certain amount of time and will have reduced Hitpoints (similar to the Arbiter's Statis Field but does damage)

Blackhole # 2
    the original Blackhole as seen in the footage of May's Worldwide Invitation but then the number of units dragged to it are limited
    (maybe 5 units maximum? )

Blackhole # 3
    units within the AoE are dragged to the Mothership. after a certain amount of time, the Mothership and the units near it will incinerate.

All three blackholes will also affect your units. That is the drawback.

EDIT: the suggested black hole affects air units only

So what do you think?

2. Sagathox

Sagathox New Member

none is my perfect choice, but number 2 is the closest,but i think it should stay almost the way they show´d it in the wwi, just make the aoe smaller, but not that weak, i want to crush the mostly all the time (at least for "noobs" (i really dont like this term)) used strategy of massing air units (carriers most likely), so the game has a lot more to offer, if they want to beat me they should make small groups of forces that come from different directions, so that i waste my black hole and then from each side a couple of warprays and phoenixs try to take down my mothership, so i get some support, and then... oh no carriers, from the back!, im doomed, well, it was a good game... not! my ally has just send some vikings! damn they were obliterated.... gg

something like that, i just want a real super unit to have some real fun, using and beating that kind of mothership would be a really cool challenge for me at least, so i vote number 2 with some tweaks, just try to make the poll a little more open minded and please erase the one that says all the three lol, that makes the poll itself useless lol.

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

None is my perfect choice either. I made a suggestion in another Mothership thread, and here is what I think:

The Black Hole ability should be targeted on a specific unit. Once the ability is activated, an animation happens on the targeted unit for about five seconds, then the black hole opens up, killing the targeted unit. It sucks in all units in it's AOE, but has a slightly smaller AOE than the one shown in the gameplay movie. It also only works on air units.

This will do two things to nerf the ability. First, the decreased AOE will not drag as many units into it. And second, since the enemy player will see the opening animation on a unit, they can evacuate the area if they react in time. Of course, they could also add a "Singularity Detected" similar to the "Nuclear Launch Detected" to alert the player as well.

For lore, it could be said that the Mothership utilizes the mass of an enemy airship to create the Black Hole's singularity.

4. daniel9800

daniel9800 Guest

Can I suggest...

Blackhole #4:
    Creates a blackhole and sucks all air units(allied/enemies) around. After a few seconds another blackhole will be created randomly anywhere on the map but the effects is reverse , the units sucked by the blackhole return.

5. Ych

Ych New Member

I agree that Blackhole should effect air units only. If it effected ground units, it would be imbalanced.

Having the ability to suck only air units would actually balance out the Mothership IMO.

6. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

i dont like black hole in SC2 at all. it fits the protoss very well tho but i just dont want to see it in normal game play. I would like to see it on the SC2 editor tho

7. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    I always thought Black Hole was AA ONLY anyway... was there confirmation or evidence that showed the BH effective against ground?

I just want a Black Hole that slowly pulls all air units toward its center while dealing damage over time to the air units caught within the AoE while the effect lasts. I think the focus mainly should be the snare effect rather than a huge amount of damage.

8. Ych

Ych New Member

Remy, I think the 1up 4 hour gameplay interview before BlizzCon stated it sucked in all the units instead of just air units only. So I guess back in May, the Protoss video demo misinterpurted the Blackhole ability of only effecting air units. Or Blizzard decided to change the Blackhole ability and made it effect all units. Whatever it is, I don't think it effecting only air units would imbalance the Blackhole ability.

9. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    Even from the 1UP interview I assumed it was just air units, but I'm not really sure either way.  But I don't really like insta-kill abilities, especially one at could effect multiple units in a single cast.

10. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I agree that is should be AA only... I'm not much of an expert on upcoming Protoss unknowns ;)

11. TheFearless

TheFearless New Member

blackhole is AA only

12. Remy

Remy New Member

US East Coast
    That's what I have believed too, but is there any source to confirm this?

13. BnechbReaker

BnechbReaker New Member

black hole number 2 sounds best, it should cost all of the mothership's energy

14. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    A cool idea, but I don't really see it in the actual gameplay.

15. daniel9800

daniel9800 Guest

At least it wouldn't be as imba as hell!

If you like to see blackhole in an actual gameplay, the starcraft 2 developers should consider this idea... ^_^

16. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    If the Mothership is going to be a unit you can make more than of then almost any version of balckhole that could kill multiple units could easily be overpowered. Assuming the Mothership is made back inot a super unit (which i really hope happens) the Mothership still shouldnt have the balck hole ability it should have something that would make it a more effective centerpiece unit instead of a solo one shot kill unit which the original black hole allowed.

So in the end my vote is none the Mothership shouldnt have balck hole it should have something that makes it more of a support/team player unit.

17. kwifler

kwifler New Member

I like black holes a lot, especially since I am an advanced science enthousiast (such as physics in outer space, etc). One balance for the black hole effect would be to make it a self-destruct ability, effectively wiping out all units in the area including the mother ship.
    In reality, it is theorised that nothing can escape a black hole if in proxcimity, not even light itself. Perhaps a gravitational distortion would be a more accurate term.

18. Frost

Frost New Member

Great idea, love it. Exactly what i thought when they first introduced it. Wouldn't be overpowered, sacrificing a huge expensive ship to take out like 3-4 other aircraft... maybe more if the units are stackable and the enemy isn't really bright.

19. TheFearless

TheFearless New Member

i wish blizzard could really take any of these into consideration. we want BLACKHOLE !!!

20. manaplague

manaplague New Member

The only way i could see a playable Block Hole (from a balancing stand point.) would be one that slows down units that come into it's range and does a DPS like Psi-Storm.(affecting only air units of course.)