please let this be possible

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by aem1, Sep 11, 2008.

please let this be possible

Discussion in 'Computers and Technology' started by aem1, Sep 11, 2008.

1. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    is it possible to change my video card? i have a Toshiba Satellite a300 laptop and Joneagle told me that the video card to this is an integrated video card that cannot be changed.pls tell me thats not the case. i bought this laptop about a month ago in order replace my old broken laptop and for school, and im hoping to play sc2 and red alert 3 as soon as they come out!

my pc specs
    -cpu- 2 processors running - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    -cpu speed-2.00 GHz Performance Rated at 3.89 GHz
    -operating system-Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit (Build Service Pack 16001)
    -video card-Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family ()
    -Video RAM- 358 mb
    -Video Card 3D Acceleration- yes
    -Video HW Transform & Lighting-yes
    - Vertex Shader Ver-3.0
    -Pixel Shader Ver-3.0

how would i know if its an integrated video card?

2. JacobBlair1

JacobBlair1 New Member

Chandler, AZ
    You would know by installing the card and running a game of big propotions maybe some type of massive online game you have to test it out first to truly know intel is bad so try to go for a better one go online do some research

3. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    No you can't change graphics cards on a laptop. In order to do so you'd have to replace the whole motherboard and reinstall all the RAM, HD, and there's large chance you'll screw up and break your laptop. It's not possible. I don't think you can even get a graphics card for laptops anyways. Just upgrade to a new laptop.

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Or get a desktop as well.

5. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    desktop would be the best option

Q: is it possible to melt your gfx card? im playing a 3d MMOrpg (rose online) and im playing at full graphix

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

SA: Yes

LA: Not literally melt the card, unless you're got serious internal cooling issues, but it IS possible to shot some wiring, fry some resistors, or, if you're REALLY lucky, melt the solder and screw up the rest of your computer. Are you running a desktop or a laptop?

7. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    You can't melt the chip as a whole piece but excesive heat can cause some of the leads and internal traces to melt bricking the machine

8. Ursawarrior

Ursawarrior New Member

somewhere....not sure
    so.... issues of melting gfx card is just because of cooling issues and not EXTREME performance/usage issues, im running a desktop comp and i live up in the mountains where its always cold

9. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    but still since we don't know the actual PC requirements is it possible that i can actualy play the game?

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    @ ursa The card will get warmer with more usage so you will need better cooling if you want to play Crysis than if you want to play starcraft.

Also whlie you might not damage the card, excessive heat can cause frame drops and artifacts. Worst case scenario is a system crash

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    @ aem1,

Well sorry you didn't believe me! ;) You asked specifically for my help... but anyway, you can't replace a video card that doesn't exist. Your laptop does not have a video card and so probably does not have the necessary PCI slot to house the video card nor the room.

Sometimes you can get lucky with a laptop that has a video card and you can replace it with a better, similar model. I did that with my Inspiron 8500, replaced the Nvidia Geforce Mobile 4800 with an ATI Radeon Mobility 9800 (128 MB) was a lucky shot though.

You can try Googling your model of computer with "video card upgrade" but I doubt you'll find anything helpful.

Buy a PC. ;)

EDIT: I just did the search for you and I didn't find anything meaningful. I'm pretty sure you're stuck. Sorry!

Next time check with forums like this before you buy the darn thing!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
    aem1 likes this.
  12. aem1

aem1 New Member

Cali
    ^ yea i know. You already confirmed it for me :(. (Thanks again J), i just want to know now, since we dont know the actual requirements, and Blizzard's history of bringing compatible gaming for the most minimum requirements, do i have ANY chance of playing Starcraft 2. cmon, i mean i can at least play supcom and COD4 on this laptop, so at least can i play sc2 on the most Minimum Settings?!? :confused:

-once again thanks and god bless.

oh yea i joined this forum two weeks after i bought the laptop :(