Please improve forum communication. Bad moderator protocol exists.

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by Prodigal, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Please improve forum communication. Bad moderator protocol exists.

1. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Dear moderators,

I posted a thread of value: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=357439&tmp=1 with this link which contains new information posted by a developer about the functionality of warp gates. LordKerwyn deleted the thread for no apparent reason and without explanation. It was just posted this afternoon and was not posted elsewhere on this site. LordKerwyn is behaving frivolously in this regard. I don't think he likes me, he even temporarily deleted one of my posts when I opined against an idea he supported in theory. Please discipline the moderators in this regard. This forum has alot of potential and has a great interface and community feeling, however the frivolous moderating (some of it is) makes it less then conducive for discussing new information. Especially when a new information thread is deleted for some unexplanable reason. Thanks for listening to me, just providing feedback and discontent at some of the moderation "quality". Keep up the good work otherwise!

-Prodigal

2. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
  3. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

I skimmed that thread and did not notice that post the first time. I thought it was a big enough news item to deserve its own thread, point still stands that the reason for deleteing the thread could have been communicated. Sorry about any confusion.

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Your right I acted frivolously, I chose to delete your thread instead of locking it because it was a duplicate, passing the message on to Jon and have him follow through on the warning he gave you. Yeah that makes perfect sense im trying to persicute you....

Also as far as your almighty thread I deleted your post consisted of 2 lines with one being a link and the other saying "go look at the link..." which could almost be defined as spam if it didn't have any helpful information, so I must of acted hastily in choosing to delete a duplicate topic that was nearly spam instead of locking it and having it clutter up the Protoss section.

Your right I must despise you because I keep locking and deleting your duplicate threads, instead of god forbid, actually sending you warnings, fining you minerals, or swinging the hammer.

Rest assured your complaint has been posted for every moderator to view easily, I also included my recomdation about what should be done about my obvious inability to do anything correctly, god I hope they follow my advice....

5. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    @Prodigal
    Don't skim READ

6. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

Prodigal may not have noticed he was duplicating the other thread, but if he had to post this topic to get an explanation then perhaps the way the moderators moderate could be improved.

I haven't been on the forum for a while and after coming back to it the first thing I see is a thread with sarcastic posts from a moderator, which was really disapointing to see. Lord Kerwyn i'm sure you work hard for us to make the forum's work, but if someone offends or irritates you please just thank the person for their post and tell them what they did wrong. Not everyone has experience of using this forum.

7. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I agree, I think that you (Lord Kerwyn), in a number of cases has been very unfriendly and disappointing, even thought i of course respect you efforts to keep the forum clear. Still i think that the subject deserved its own topic, as the other reply was posted in a death topic. And how should BoP find that reply? I tried to use the search function on the subject, and I found nothing.

8. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

If you do a search with the words "warp gate upgrade" it's the first hit you get.

9. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yes but what has upgrade to do with it? The upgrade was nothing new intreduced, that has been known in 6 months...

10. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

"Warp gate upgrade" is part of the main idea in the new information.

Not to mention that you can also search for any part of the exact text and easily find the post. The point is that even though I put it in a relatively dead thread, it wasn't hard to find at all.

11. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Binary I sam sorry to have dissapointed you with my sarcastic reply to Prodigal's but lets say this, this is not the first time Prodigal has started something like this.

Furrer every action I take (besides anything an avergae member could do) is as a moderator, my posts are my own opinions on some topics unless some kind of moderator response is needed and I try and keep those away enough from my opnions that they can be distinguished.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    That means when you replied him, you was not acting as a mod, but as a "normal" user? Or was you acting as a mod? Because that was a very personal message. And I did not know about Prodigals earlier issues, I was just acting out of instinct. I'm sorry for my hardness, but you moderaters are so good, its hard to find any things you do wrong, and when you then do something wrong, I'm just pointing it out so you can get better, if that's even possible (long sentence :D).

13. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    This topic has become an interesting mix because it is directed at me because of my actions as a moderator, so as for explanations my first post was me providing the reason to why his topic was deleted as well as sorta trying to disprove this topic, my second post was my illustration of my opinion on just how unwarranted I thought this topic was, also it was me venting a little bit of my frustration over a couple of things that have been done by Prodigal, some being public. I (personally) really dislike topics like this that pbulicly question some direct aspect of the forum without knowing all of the facts, in general it is a lot easier and a lot more gets done if something is reported to the mods in general or privately PMed to a mod (obviosuly not me in this case). Does that help clarify things?

14. BinaryBanshee

BinaryBanshee New Member

No worries Lord Kerwyn. Sorry the thread turned into Kerwyn bashing I didn't see that coming :eek:

Perhaps there should be a part of the forum set aside for interaction with the mods on this sort of thing. Not a good idea for this to be had out in public in general.

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    The thread turned into what the author intended, thank fully that is now changing.

As for interacting with the mods that really is what this board is for unless the topic shouldn't be public then either PMing a mod or reporting a thread will have a similar effect but in a private way.

16. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    It seems that LordKerwyn hasn't been able to make the point clear to the members who've responded in this thread, though it's through no fault of his own.

There is only one reason that this forum is as clean as it is, and that is because the moderators here pride themselves on finding spam and deleting it. The Forum Guidelines are well written, easily readable and readily accessible.

As productive forum members we are ALL expected to use the search function before making posts. While I realize there is sometimes a mad scramble to create posts first and claim credit for a find, any confusion should not extend past the first few minutes.

@ Prodigal,

I have already had a private discussion with you through proper channels, which means a PERSONAL MESSAGE. If you have a complaint about a moderator, I expect a PM, and not a public post. I am extremely disappointed in how you handled this situation and I stand firmly behind LordKerwyn's decision to delete the topic because it was indeed a duplicate.

I think we will let this issue go for the time being.

In the future please remember to use the search function prior to posting in a meticulous manner so that we don't have new topics all over.

Also, don't forget, if you think a moderator MIGHT find your thread to be a duplicate, please save your text and PM a moderator for prior approval.

Thank you.

P.S. - I think you guys all know that we seek to encourage discussion, not hamper it. I do think that moderators should in the future use more discretion in deleting the posts that COULD be duplicates, but we will also continue to delete posts that are clearly in violation of the guidelines, as Prodigal's was.

17. Prodigal

Prodigal New Member

Joneagle_X,

Thanks for clarifying your stance on the forum situation. My point was that a certain moderator was engaging people in ways that was un-moderator-like, in terms of communications. The existent problem is not that this isn't a great forum that isn't laced with spam, but that the "duplicate topic" policy isn't consistently applied. In the Protoss, Zerg, and Terran forum there many threads with duplicate topics and "ideas". The reason I have personally reacted this way is because it seems that my threads were targeted, whereas other generic threads that are essentially duplicate topics (in a generalized sense, a policy that is too vague to be really consistent...interpretation is in the eyes of the moderator in this case) seem to prevail. Lately their hasn't been alot of traffic and if someone started a somewhat similar thread stimulates a conversation I can't see why that could be a bad thing, especially when people generally seem more interested in new idea threads (even though it could "technically" be classified as "duplicate). Then when that thread gets locked the new discussion gets shut down (even if it is vaguely similar to a different discussion in another thread). The point still stands that policy isn't always consistently applied here. Anti-spam locking/deleteing = good, but doing it just for the sake of a technicality? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to allow an interested discussion amongst forumers to continue.

I hope you understand that I am simply trying to provide some critical feedback, that is based on my experience here, hopefully this is feedback that can help to improve the experience for EVERYONE. I am not out to play an ad hominem game with LordKerwyn, thats his objective. Please consider these ideas...we are all here for the same reason ultimately....love of Starcraft!

18. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    In the future I hope you understand that you will be required to use the correct channels to voice these complaints.

Furthermore, you must understand that we are lenient with past threads that have already been creative, and we are most sensitive to posts made in General Discussion.

Topic Locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.