Player's colour schemes on units

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LimaBeanMage, Jul 12, 2007.

Player's colour schemes on units

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by LimaBeanMage, Jul 12, 2007.

1. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

Well, it is inevitable that unit/building color design is up for changes but how far will it go? I was sort of annoyed by Terran's new loud color designs but I could manage. All the units seem to have more color and it is all of it is a bit brighter. I like the zealot's new multi-color psi blades, it rocks. The new color system seemed to spice things up... but then they decided to touch my pylons....

I think it adds a good bit of diversity to the game but it might cause too much diversity at times. When I see a PvP battle I expect to see Protoss versus Protoss, not Red P vs. Blue P. They are the same race and have the same foundations in technology as well and should show it I think.

I also think that this can actually take away from the game play. Starcraft was always the gritty looking RTS in Blizzard's series. Opposing units looked the same except for some minor yet obvious enough color differences to make them stand apart. Starcraft 2 actually appears to be too colorful to allow the same sense of realism and intricacy. It seems fair for units to have different paint jobs but it starts to become awkward when power sources if not energy itself starts to have a personalized color.

2. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Re: Taste the rainbow

Screw reality, i mean, if it was based on reality there would not be such a thing as imba as they would not be considered balance and imbalance but advantages and disadvantages.. I like the idea and I hope the keep it, however the only thing I am annoyed by is the terrain colours, in on of the lead vids they looked too bright.

3. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT

yea i agree with screwing reality. Games wouldn't be fun if it had reality because reality has like no creativity.

Terran colors should be as dark and dirty as possible, but I also think that the Protoss should be as bright as possible, and the zerg being as gruesome looking and bloody as possible. But that's my opinion ^_^.

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Um... So if we were attacking each other with 20 zealots how would u tell the difference unless something stood out. This is a game and to make it easier to micro each unit needs to be easy to identify.

5. Ghost

Ghost New Member

^ Well said.

6. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT

Not to be off topic, but Dreadnought, your avatar is sooo fun to watch haha

...and well said too ^_^

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Id also like to say that the golden zealots makes the protoss look rich (which im sure they are) I dont think they will have pink as a color (the red pylons do look a lil pink though) But perhaps if they just made their armor differently colored and not the energy that would be better.

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

OMG Zealots with gray blades would look awesome.

9. for-glory

for-glory New Member

Grey would be amazing. I like you're idea flying tiger. Like have race specific colours....protoss rich and pimping ...terran dirty and dark and zerg would have to have the mike tyson of colours

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Ear-biting?

11. for-glory

for-glory New Member

was slightly afraid you would say mentally retarded...

12. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

no, they'd sing the monster mash on ESPN terribly and make you want to shoot yourself...its a new ability for the new zerg caster unit they have yet to reveal

13. generalrievous

generalrievous New Member

lol, like it!

14. LimaBeanMage

LimaBeanMage New Member

You could tell them apart in the original starcraft, or at least I could apparently. Simple color designs are good, they helped people micro and identified players. But a good number of units and buildings in SC2 looks as if they were assaulted by a stimmed marine carrying paint buckets. That is actually part of the problem for Terran that so many people point out. In certain light they appear to be almost neon and drenched in color giving them a "more than starcraft" cartoonish or toy like look about them.

And what is all this "screw reality" sentiment about? I meant similar to reality as the original starcraft was, not real reality.

15. kingsky123

kingsky123 New Member

too japanese cartoonish i think i get what you mean

16. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT

but is the psi blades suppose to be blue... who really said the psi blades after be blue? The non-reality is, its all about the creatively, they are making psi blades their own colors... colors that represent their tribes.

17. Ych

Ych New Member

At first when I saw the Orange Zealots and Pylons, I had a big WTF too. LOL. But the look actually grew on me. I think those colours would really distingush which unit is which and during a large clash of battle, you can micro a lot easier.

18. mc2

mc2 New Member

Currently Blizzard is only intending to have a max of 8 players per map. They "might" consider changing this by adding more than 8.

So let's just say there are 8 players max. The colours will most likely be the same as the ones in SC1. red, blue, orange, yellow, white, brown, teal, purple.

So we probably won't be seeing pink or grey, etc.

And I would also like to see in single player campaigns, Gold or Silver for the player. :p

19. paragon

paragon Guest

you forgot green which is in a screenshot and was in brood wars

20. mc2

mc2 New Member

Green is kind of similar to teal. I never liked teal anyway, so it's a good thing that they are replacing teal with green.