Planetary Fortress

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Cabbage, Jan 8, 2010.

Planetary Fortress

Discussion in 'Terran' started by Cabbage, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

As seen in some game play videos, the planetary fortress is very hard to take down, especially when you have 20 SCVs repairing it, and when it is taken down, its usually late in-game.
    So, my suggestion is to make the missile turrent part into a seperate building, with around 150 hp. To be able to damage the turrent part, the enemy must use ranged attackers, so the fortress would be able to avoid melee units like ultralisks, zealots, zerglings and banelings.
    To repair it, the SCVs must be INSIDE the CC, so that the rate of fixing the turrent would only be so fast, as only around four SCVs can go into the building. Once inside, the repairing automatically starts.

Suggestions?

2. ShdwyTemplar

ShdwyTemplar New Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I would actually say the Planetary Fortress although good for defense is not really in need of change. I believe this is because of a few key factors.

The first being that since it is for defense and can't effectively be used for offense due to the Mineral Cost/Time to produce it. Not only is it the cost of the building, but is the cost of the repairing, and the gathering time of the SCV's used. Not only do I believe a more affective form of attack be used, but I believe that they can be easily avoided.

The second factor is where it lies on the tech tree. The Planetary fortress comes as part of a divergent split in the Terran defense. we either get the choice of the Bunker and Orbital Command through the Barracks or the Planetary Fortress, Sensor Tower, and Missile Turret from the Engineering Bay. Now for teching defensively the Engineering Bay seems like a much more desirable destination for defense. However, the Bunker allows for defense and offense.

These two factors I think provide enough reason to leave the Planetary Fortress as a strong defense of expansions that aren't defended as well as main bases. But for defense/attack I doubt would be useful. However that is only my opinion.

I think that by decreasing the amount of SCV's able to repair it wouldn't matter. There are numerous ways to avoid the tower and kill off the SCV's. Separating the tower from the Planetary Fortress's overall hit point bank just removes the point of it being a stationary base and makes it the equivalent of a useless addition. Killing it off removes the functionality of the Fortress.

Overall I would just keep it the same. It serves its purpose and it isn't being abused due to its cost.

3. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

What do you mean? I never said it was for attack. I only said that it was way OP.

-Edit: Oops! I forgot to mention that the missile turrent part is still ATTACHED to the building, and that's why its invulnerable to melee units, cause its still mounted on the CC. Sorry, Shadow, for your misconception.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. cautionmike_190

cautionmike_190 New Member

Philippines
    an early seige tank will knock that out

5. RHStag

RHStag New Member

Speaking of the PF. Can the Command Center still lift of once you gotten that particular upgrade? And if it can lift of, do you keep the upgrade?

i.e. in the original starcraft you would have to rebuild a sensor thingy when you moved your CC.

6. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The planetary fortress cannot lift off.

7. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The planetary fortress is perhaps overpowered if you look at the stats alone, and reason that everybody has a command center or three anyways.

But! Just like the planetary fortress is overpowered, the orbital command is ridiculously overpowered! So overpowered in fact, that having an orbital command almost isn't a choice of strategy at all.
    This is because it's the Terran macro mechanic. If the entire macro mechanic was a choice on the level of, say, teching to ghosts or upgrading C8-charges for the reapers, it obviously wouldn't have the desired impact on macro to begin with.

That's why the orbital command gives you scans, supplies and mules for a very cheap price - you're supposed to get an orbital command!

That's why the planetary fortress is so powerful. How else would it make you think even for a second to give up the entire Terran macro mechanic (in one base) for a turtle structure? By being a damn good turtle structure!

8. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Still, its OP.

I mean, come one, other races have equivalents of orbital scan, but none of them has "a main hub with a badass cannon" along with the ability to repair with 20+ workers.

Early tank rush that pwns the cannon? Perfect! Better than needing around ten tanks to take it down.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Terran have nukes. None of the other races have those.
    Protoss have immortals, with their very special shields. No other race have equivalents for those.
    Zerg units get about 30 percent faster on creep. Ain't no other race who can do that yo.

What's your point? It's the differences between the races that makes the game so damn good.

10. Novacute

Novacute New Member

Why does everyone believe Terrans to be an excessively over-powered race? The guy above me (sorry, cbs naming) hit the spot. The planetary fortress isn't meant to be used as an offensive structure like the Photon Cannon or the Spine Crawler. As stated in SC2 Wikia, the fortress possesses high HP and reasonable damage. However, it is cannot be used in an offensive manner as it cannot be airlifted. Your concern probably stems from witnessing battle report 4, where the planetary fortress owned by David Kim, withstood 'significant damage'.The fact is, the opponent was utilising an ineffective combination which limited his potential damage output gained from bonuses. An appropriate combination such as the Immortal and units which deal bonus damage to buildings (or better yet, Banelings) would have easily decimated a planetary fortress. It is with regret, a form of punishment blizzard deals to it's players who do not take advantage of the new damage system.

11. Cabbage

Cabbage New Member

Why should I care? Sheesh, I was gonna play terran anyways...

Har har...

Well there's no point trying to argue a matter that can't prove itself OPed or not yet. So I guess the majority overruled me.

Playing terran, definitely.

12. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Me too, Terran player only.

Something I don't understand : When enemy attacks the PF does he attack the whole building or just the turret in the top of it ? We can see the frequency of attack of this structure has diminished from the original Terran gameplay to battle report 4. This structure is less OP than before.
    But I agree, it is still OP now. Especially if you use 20+ SCVs to repair it this structure is overwhelming. But the price of this structure explains its strength. The Terran player is rewarded.

13. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

The planetary fortress and turret are just one "unit" (well, one structure).

It's pretty powerful in the early game, but by tier 2 or 3 there are siege range attackers and AtG attackers, either of which can simply not take damage from the planetary fortress' cannon.

14. teraformer

teraformer New Member

kansas city, MO
    re

Agreed

Unlike some other games where each side has different units but they all work the same way and do the same damage.

15. SOGEKING

SOGEKING New Member

Yes, now I see the planetary fortress is not invincible. Can it attack enemy air attack ?

About balance between races, seen that zerg are still weak against Protoss. Will it be very different in SC2 ?