Photon or Phase?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gandromidar, Aug 16, 2009.

Photon or Phase?

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gandromidar, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Gandromidar

Gandromidar New Member

Queensland, Australia
    Hey guys/girls,
    I just wondered what the population thought about this. What is better? Phase cannons, or Photon cannons? I am not sure myself.

2. Ste

Ste New Member

Chicago
    I like Beam, Plasma or energy cannon better. :p

3. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
    Are you referring to name, or mechanics? The Phase Cannon used to be able to enter a "phase mode" where it could be moved around by probes, but could not attack and was more vulnerable (a mechanic that was later given to the zerg, minus dependency on workers). Later it was just renamed as the Photon Cannon, but still had that floating ball on top rather than the rising cone-thing that the SC:BW version had.

so we have Name, Mechanics, and Aesthetics. Which one are you asking about?

4. Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson New Member

Phase cannons play into the whole idea that they can phase into pure psi energy state, move around and then rematerialise again. However photon cannon just feels more right to me.
    What Ste suggests doesnt correspond to my view on protoss technology.

5. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Phase cannons = movable photon cannons
    Photon cannons = stagnant cannons

I guess there shouldn't a question on which should be preferred.

6. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    LOL. I agree ^

But the name could be changed just like everything else in this game.

We could call SC2
    * RTS warz
    *Fire fight
    *17 heads

We could call it anything, just like everythig else, blizz could make this game a whole new game just by changing names and characters, and tada! It's the new competitive more awesome replacement of the older RTS called Starcraft.

"Haha now we sell this piece of crap to you for 150 US dallors with 3 expansions each costing 75 US dallors and now we charge a member ship thing that out have to pay us 50 dallors a month to kill each other online!!!

(now I was thinging that In a raspy high pitched voice that vibrated alot, whitch was pretty anoying!)

But my point is names change and so does everything else,

Me personaly like this new name because it fits the mechanic.

7. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    well, i would much rather prefer phase cannons. imagine building 6 phase cannons, getting a phase prism into a base, "pylonizing" it, and phasing your phase canons into the base....DAMN >=D
    but seriously tho, it would be so kewl if there was a researchable upgrade for photon cannons to move around ^^

8. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    What if you could transport phase cannons in there psi state like normal units?

That would bring a whole new idea and fun strat to cannon rush or "cannon drop"

9. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    .....why would u do that.....
    if u pylonize a phase prism then u can just teleport the phase cannons there. hey, how about to make this ability balanced, it takes time for the cannons to get there and after they do, they are vunerable for a couple of seconds. during their trip there, they are also vunerable. the speed is the speed of a Charging Zealot

10. alex1

alex1 New Member

The protoss used to be able to move their Photon cannons. This ability was however removed and later applied to the Sunken colony. No idea if the Sunken colony still has that perk though.

11. asdf

asdf New Member

you see guys, photons are light. therefore, photon cannons shoot light to hurt enemies. they're frikken laser beams!!!

phase cannons, on the other hand, are some mysterious star-trek pseudosciencey technology... that hits you with phases? maybe they just change the frequency of the lasers, so they come out different colours?

well, everyone knows that rainbows are better than plain old single colours, therefore phase cannons are better.

12. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    uhhh no. they phase shift. wtf are phases -.-
    and photons are not light. they are quanta of light (they carry the energy)
    photon cannons basically shoot very condensed balls of photons. :)

anyways, i just got a thought. protoss buildings are warped in. shouldnt all toss buildings be able to move via warp-in? :)
    so how about a warpin ability on the probe that uses 50% of the biulding's cost to warp in somewhere on the map. the time will depend on the amount of space travelled (how about the space from one corner of 256x256 be near the full warp-in time of the building?). the two warp in/out places can be targeted by attacks and shut down in the meantime. full resource return if u stop warping

this might be imba. if so, how about an ability, for 25 minerals per warp, u can move photon cannons in a similair fashion?

13. asdf

asdf New Member

"and photons are not light. they are quanta of light"
    that means you're overcomplicating the definition to sound smart. that's like saying "miles aren't distance, they are quantity of distance."

and a phase is one full wave. a shift in phase means you delay or speed up the wave by up to 1/2 a wavelength.

in any case, blizz already removed phase cannons from the game, didn't they? so you've only got photon cannons to work with anyways. who cares if the other one's better, you can only use it in custom maps.

14. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    i know right damn blizzard whyu thy do that damn it was a good mechanic i WANT MEH WARP IN!!

15. alex1

alex1 New Member

Nice idea, I like it. Terrans can recycle and fly buildings, why wouldn't the Toss, keen on teleporting, be able to un-warp and re-warp building to another location, near a pylon?

That would be a nice mechanic, but obviously up to "balance" (such a holy word im telling you) :p
    what about a cooldown of 5 min?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  16. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    well the cool down would kinda make sense i guess.
    how about like a cooldown of 12 minutes for each building? OH OH OH!!!! a higher cool down for higher tech buildings and the min cooldown is errrr errrr errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr9 minutes, and u factor in mineral cost/build time too!!!! :D

damn our lives are gonna suck after sc2 is over >.>

17. alex1

alex1 New Member

Im just speculating here, but most of 1v1 games last less than 12 minutes (at least in SC1, most of battles were resolved after 10 min) so maybe 5 min for the cooldown would be better.

18. 1n5an1ty

1n5an1ty Member

Reality
    meh. still, its all up to balance :)
    and fastest time idnt equal to real time lol
    or do u mean the fastest time?

19. alex1

alex1 New Member

LOL okok I only play @ fastest speed ^^

20. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I liked the Phase cannons better, I also think that phasing out the defenses and moving them for the Protoss sounds better than Zerg colonies uprooting themselves.