Phase canon looks like a flower.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by zeratul11, Feb 11, 2008.

Phase canon looks like a flower.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by zeratul11, Feb 11, 2008.

1. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

They look like flowers, just grotesque and ridiculous. Nothing "badass", "alien", "cool" or "wow" stuff in their design.

i suggest a new static base defense for the toss that looks completely the opposite of the above.

or maybe do something to the phase canons, cut off some of its petals and and make the attack projectile look powerful not some boring water ball and add some more details that will make it look intimidating. or change the whole look completely.

ok dont say its iconic and is something not broken as it was in sc1. we are in sc2, and IMHO and many others it doesnt look anything special or badass for sc2 or in this day sci fi standard, we are just OK with it because its the same look as in sc1 with just some design improvement.

but making it look MORE beter will not hurt.

any other ideas to improve the canons?

2. Kaosspy

Kaosspy New Member

I don't know the stats on the phase cannons of SC2, but from the limited exp I have on the issue... giving them greater damage would be a plus, maybe a little more expensive, but greater damage none the less.

I wouldn't put my money on blizz actually listning to me though, cause first off I only really know SC1 and second off I am not very active on these forms. But oh well!

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I really like the Phase Cannon as it is - a new version of the Photon Cannon that can move around. I guess I'll agree that it could look cooler, but I don't think that it needs anything else gameplay-wise.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Agreed. It was the weakest due to its ability to detect and hit both ground and air, it was very spammable too so making is stronger would imbalance things.

Also even though it looks meh now I'm sure Blizzard will fix it once the balance work is done.

5. L89

L89 New Member

And now...for the adventure of PerCy, the Phase Cannon...

One day, PerCy wokeup, overjoyed as always that he is able to tap dance along the nets of psi energy that make up his world. Though the base was under attack by another wave of zerglings, he gave it no thought as they haven't researched baneling yet and his fellow phase cannons were totally un-phased (or is it spelt unfazed :p) by the assault. Plus, it was his day off. So off he waddled though the fields of psi, relaxing his sensors to take in the warmth from the sun, the slight breeze and the smell of smoked zergling. Gradually, he unknowingly wandered further and further away from his home and was soon stumbling across a psi-less desert. He felt alone and being unpowered, vulnerable too.

Suddenly, he was spotted by a group of rabid marines who haven't showered and put on deordorant for so long that their sour smell came through their power suits...all thanks to the idoit up there who can't micro (and so it was decided that since the average marine life expectancy lasted only so many game minutes, cheap rivets would be used instead to fasten the suit on).

Anyways, back on topic, PerCy was now surrounded on all sides. And PerCy was afraid. So he charged through the ranks. Somehow he broke free (not hard since the fingers of the power suit were too thick to grab, grasp and grip anything other than the equally thick trigger of their gauzers accurately). Luckily for PerCy. Someone in the Blizzard hierarchy took a last minute notice of a random fanboy's suggestion of making the game more realistic and so ordered to give each marine a limited supply of ammo. So yeah, basically their rifles were now useless since the bayonet was only there for looks.

From across the universe, Jenny's voice came through (for now we'll ignore the fact that this is scientifically impossible but Star Wars did it first!)

"Run Phase Cannon, run!"

And so he ran, somehow. Even though he got no legs. But you get the idea. And since the marines have long since run outta steam stim, he soon became all alone again. By now, PerCy was puffed, still unpowered, and depressed. So he cried out to unleach his frustrations and all fell to blackness.

...somewhere back in 1995, Phoc the Photon Cannon heard the cry of distress.
    "Oh no! A friend in need...of some psi w33d. Luckily I'm a friend indeed!"

Something happened here

PerCy came back to his sensors. The surroundings seemed different. He lifted his flower-shaped head upwards and saw a more l33t looking face looking back at him.

"Hi, my name is Phoc. Welcome to my humble abode."
    "Eh, hey...HEY, you are the historically famous Protoss defence, the Photon Cannon."
    "Yeya, damn straight I am. It was me who heard your SOS [insert protoss robotic noise here] and rescued you here. BW, who are you...you look kinda familiar?!"
    "Oh sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. Me name's PerCy. I'm the Phase Cannon."
    "Okay, a phase aye...waht a queer name. Is it like phase for describing how light rays can interpose to to form interference patterns and that they sometimes are in and outta phase with one another. Or is it like face as in Blizzard needs to make you a better one. Haha sorry, No offence I'm just a funny cannon. "
    "STOP! Cut that physics abuse. You think you are so cool huh? Well lemme tell you something, I'm the new you. You are so not last year but like 13 years ago. So you better recognize yo. I'm your cooler bro fo sho. So shizzle my nizzle dude...oh wait you can't...you are a static defence. Hehe haha! You can't catch me...here, lemme play merry-go-round with you...you can be the piggy that is always in the centre. Btw did I tell you your name sounds funny?"
    "Why you little, you better apologize right now..."
    "Or else what? Shoot me?"
    "I think I will..."
    "Too bad I can shoot too!"

Back to back they faced each other, drew their aim...
    [Click]
    "Ah crap. This is a 1995 pylon..."

... and Phoc pwnd PerCy.

The end.

6. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i was talking merely about the look of the phase canon and there are some replies that includes the phase canons stat or use. weird. ^^

anyway phase canon needs some improvement visually coz it looks like a flower or a merry go round. if they want to keep the round look they should add up some details that will make it look "powerful" at least.

@ percy the canon. great story. i love percy on most part i tot he was a cute phase canon but not when he got arrogant with the photon canon. lol.

percy = rip.

7. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    [img width=159 height=157]http://www.starcraft2.com.au/phasecannon.gif[/img] [img width=150 height=150]http://www.rpgclassics.com/subsites/starcraft/images/photoncannon.gif[/img]

I think your right, not badass enough...

I prefer the old ones tbh.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes and the visual of massing them just looks so X_X just like in sc1.

i hope blizzard will do something about it. if they dont then they should create another base defense for the toss that looks completely different from the canons.

haha. i would pick the phase canon design over the photon canon.

9. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    I like the ball hovering over the base, but the base is just, errr... Lets just say the base looks to 'flowerlike'.

xD

10. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i actually...like the phase cannon. The ball defines gravity. the bottom part its just like the photon cannon, but now, doesnt have the spiral stuff.

i think it looks sexy =]

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

yes the ball looks sexy. my problem is the flowery look of the base part. =p

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I don't know, maybe I am not creative enough, but you must concentrate to see the flower in it :) actually I like it as it is now, but I also liked SC's Photon cannons, So that design would be also acceptable

13. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I like how the phase cannon is now, I never thought of it as a flower shape. I think it looks better than the photon cannon is, especially with the floating ball instead of a a spire.

As for the attack, what could look better than a sphere attack? Laser beams would work, but the sphere is a classic, both the dragoon and photon cannon had them in the original.

14. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Just think though, if you mass them and put some warp rays over them you can call it your "Garden of Doom."

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Haha Garden of Doom ftw!

I think the cannon kinda fails imo, cuz if the ball can float over the field the cannon produces which is probably psi/power from pylon what stops the little balls from flying any where they want in pylon power?

I think it should be connected to the base as it makes more sense and allows better designs to be put upon it instead of being restricted to the ball and base.

16. Inside Sin

Inside Sin Active Member

Earth
    Nothing a few scourge can't fix :D

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    That still leaves the cannons

18. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

and flowers.

il try to draw a improvise phase canon this week. ^^

19. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Anyone have a picture of the photon cannons form the WWI video? I wanna see it side by side woth the Phase cannon and SC1 photon cannon so I can decide which I like best

20. CarriersMustReturn

CarriersMustReturn New Member

I want a new projectile. That blue thing is boring. =(