Overseer suggestion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Rebel Head, May 20, 2010.

Overseer suggestion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Rebel Head, May 20, 2010.

1. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    I played quite a bit of matches as zerg. They are by far my favorite race, so adaptive and easy to manage :D One thing I feel the zerg are missing is more CASTERS! The overseer would make a great caster. All it can do now is detect, and spy with its changling, but I feel it should also be able to support on the battle field (other than detecting). So my suggestion for the overseer is give it the transfusion ability that the queen currently uses. The ability will see far more use when in the overseers hand as it can be a great support for units like the ultralisks, and brood lords. Not only would it be good for supporting units in battle, but also on the homefront to heal your buildings under attack. Most players wont have very many queens out in play which really makes transfusion for queens weak for keeping your base intact, but with several overseers around it's not a problem. I would also suggest for the queen to give her the deep tunnel ability that was seen in earlier alpha versions to make up for the loss of its transfusion ability.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. RHStag

RHStag New Member

Blizzard has stated repeatedly that the Zerg will still undergo some changes, including spellcasters and the Ultralisk.

3. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    i did not hear about spellcasters...but i heard about the ultra. o_O

4. superamazing

superamazing New Member

New England/Texas
    I'm glad to hear that there will be spellcaster changes. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but zerg are so boring right now...

5. asdf

asdf New Member

how much do overseers cost? its role is just about purely detection, kinda like the observer... but no free cloaking.

6. Rebel Head

Rebel Head New Member

Virginia
    The overseer cost 50 minerals, and 100 gas, on top of the overlord's price of 100 minerals. It can detect, which the overlord lacks, and it can spawn a changling which is used to spy.

Glad to know that blizzard is making a lot of these changes to the zerg.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

I could still recall that there was supposed to be a dark cloud skill for Overseer which was intended to decrease the affected enemies vision and attack range, I think its quite interesting but is still to be tested. But personally I would rather still have the dark swarm back or much better the defiler. I still think that the defilers abilities far outweighs any current zerg caster.

Yes the Infestor has his going with that neural parasite and fungal growth of his but that infested terran skill just kills me for its uselessness..

Anyways, back on the Seer, its observation prowess is indeed remarkable along with its changeling skill, but theres still 1 more slot for spell possibilities and I hope that they give the Seer something worth it that may make zerg players opt for the overseer atleast 30% of the time.

Of course we have to note that stealth useage in-game has been terribly decreased and perhaps it has to do with balance between unit costs and unit availability. I mean how many times have you seen a zerg player researched burrow? How many times did protoss players opted for darktemplars or motherships? and do terran still need mobile detection considering 70% of the times they wont be facing stealth/burrowed enemies and if they did, they definitely will be ready with their comsat stations.

IMO the Overseer needs to add a skill that will make enemies opt for detectors aswell. And im suggesting its some sort of skill that will give temporary cloaking to a clump of zerg units. Kinda like a 5-10 second hide skill that would also deactivate if the affected units attack. Its just an idea but the point is its something that will force out the enemies to get detectors.

8. deth moad ue

deth moad ue New Member

I kinda like that idea -- i find changeling to be borderline useless -- i wish they'd replace it with parasite -- like what the queen had in SC1...

But i think fungal growth, parasite and MAYBE infested terran should be overseer abilities.

Dark Swarm, plague and consume should go to the infestor.

9. Arc

Arc New Member

fungal growth is actually a reworked plague, dark swarm and lurkers should make a comeback

10. asdf

asdf New Member

dark swarm would actually make ultras useful... and roaches less so, without having to actually nerf the roach or PATCH 13 the ultra.

11. deth moad ue

deth moad ue New Member

Wow..it's not even a nerf anymore....henceforth, units that are badly nerfed for no good reason have been "patch 13ed"!

And Arc -- you could argue that it's reworked....but the term i usually use is craptasticized :p

12. Arc

Arc New Member

haha lol, well obviously, it was "craptasticized" fungal growth is but a speck of plague's prowess, but nonetheless, I want dark swarm back, the developers are sh*tting on us zerg players

13. Overseer

Overseer Guest

Welp, Overseers now have the ability to poop out Infested Terrans now.

So they can pretty much support the battle field with extra meat to take damage, or severly cripple the opponent's resource gatherers.

14. Arterial

Arterial New Member

Well I wouldnt say severely cripple, them infested terrans are pretty weak. At best you'd destroy 2-3 before the enemy destroys them. Against an expansion maybe you'd destroy more workers.

15. Gardian_Defender

Gardian_Defender New Member

Oregon_USA
    well its free, and if you attack at the same time and their not pro players they may not realize it unitl after the battle, which gives the infested terrans enought time to do "TERRIBLE TERRIBLE DAMAGE!" and then even if you got destroyed they have no workers. You could also drop in several locations to split up their forces or to bring their forces away from the front line.

So I only see it being used as a haras, especially if you can freek them out enough to put up turrets everywhere, then don't harrass again and they've lost all of those minerals for no good. or you could make a bunch on the side lines and do a "doom" drop of infested terrans and push with your forces as well.

In conclusion its only useful for mind games, which could verywell allow you to win a match or lost it.

16. Overseer

Overseer Guest

Ehhh that is true... against good players usually, they can catch it immidiately and they would set up turrets around the gatherers. Its just my personal experience so far that I based my opinion I guess. usually a pack of 6 Overseers usually did an awesome job laying in 6 ITs against the gatherers.

17. FallinDevast

FallinDevast New Member

The overseer being an espionage/sabotage detector unit is fine imo but with their spells they spend most of their time on the enemy base, pretty pointless for a detector which should be in your base or rallying with your units. Replace Infested terran with a true support spell which takes advatage of zerg's large numbers.