Overmind Lore discussion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by VodkaChill, Mar 25, 2009.

Overmind Lore discussion

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by VodkaChill, Mar 25, 2009.

1. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    One of the greatest characters, IMO, in the Starcraft history is the Overmind.

He's BIG
    He's in control
    He can fly
    He has more vocabulary than any Protoss

But knowing all this seems to be little compared to all the lore we ignore about this magnificent character that was, to my regrets, killed twice.

The whole Lore behind the Overmind is very obscure.
    How does it lift from the ground?
    How does he open wormholes?
    What did he do for countless millennia before he decided that the swarm should be respected?

In SC , he wanted to create the perfect race, by merging with the Protoss of the perfect race. How would he do that, infest them? Telepathically?
    In brood wars he dies again. His motivations died with him. Same motivations as Duran, that like the Overmind, witness the passing of countless millennia and wanted to create the perfect being. Duran is closer to the Overmind that we might think.

This topic is to gather all the information about the lore around the Overmind, his abilities, his motives, is knowledge of the future*.

* Overmind Quote: “Now shall the events set in motion so long ago be made complete.[...]Soon shall our two races be made as one."

2. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Ding DIng DIng!!!! Overmind flies????

3. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

It dive bombed Aiur. That requires flight.

Duran isn't the Overmind's minion. Duran's masters have slept for countless ages, which is something the Overmind did not do.

4. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

The overmind, I thought, is the collective consciousness of every zerg alive, and through time developed personality. Created by the Xel'Naga, the overmind is what defined them as "purity of essence" because of it, all zerg have the same desire centered around one being unlike the protoss who have individual personalities with the potential to conflict with each other, breaking unity.

With all that said, I could tell you that the overmind's body is the entire swarm itself, the huge brain-like structure that we saw in game-play was actually a ton of zergs clumped, twisted, and merged together (source: the sc manual). It is why I would think the overmind is considered "immortal", killing that enormous brain would only mean the overmind will just use more zergs to create another one; you would have to kill EVERY zerg still alive (or effect it directly using its same energy, like the dark templar could). I hope that sheds some light for ya on the overmind.

By the way, I totally agree with you, the overmind is by far the greatest character in SC; kerrigan sucks in comparison and is not worthy of taking his place as leader of the swarm.

**EDIT**
    This is probably a little bit off topic, but what I found most interesting about the zerg/protoss conflict is both desired in what they lacked which the other race had. For example, the zerg desired to be stronger so they absorbed and assimilated other creatures through out the universe... while the protoss wanted to be more unified, so they invented the khali (don't know if I spelled it right) system. I hope we will get to see the zerg and protoss unite as a new race, nullifying the weaknesses of both races. It would, I feel, complete the starcraft saga with some major epicness.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  5. Hayden351

Hayden351 Member

actually isn't it just a few cerebrates put together.

also: isn't it odd that in the game you fight a lot of protoss and yet you can't infest a single one its like fighting for no reason, how is getting the protoss's home planet sposed to help him his goal was in front but he couldn' capture a single one i thought that was really odd.

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The Swarm had been under attack for quite a while before this happened. The Overmind knew that the Protoss felt overconfident and were indeed mighty warriors. He wAND the location of Aiur. He saw Zeratul and the others as a real thread to the swarm, so he wanted to completely destroy Aiur before the Protoss would merge with the Dark Templar again. -And after this Kerrigan hoped to break the Dark Templar by infesting Raszagal, and she more or less reached that goal.- Does this awnser your quistion?

7. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Raszagal wasn't infested, just mind controlled. Protoss who follow the Khala cannot be infested, except under very unusual circumstances.

8. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

the overmind flew in space to get to aiur.

9. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    He must be a pretty powerful psychic to lift his mass to throw himself in space when he left Char. He's also really powerfull to be able to revive any cerebrates.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    He needs to be powerfull indeed to fly, but reviving cerebrates isn't that hard. All their memories were stored inside the overmind, he only needed to grow new cerebrates and put the memories back with his mind link. The reason dark templar could destroy cerebrates, was that they destoyed the mind link while attacking by using the void psionic powers. This way the consiousness of the cerabrate could not flee to inside the overmind, so there was no way of ever placing it into a new cerebrate, loosing all the wisdom, control and experience of the killed cerebrate in the process. -that is why the broods with killed cerebrates went mad, they were born under the permanent influance of a mind that is now gone, so they have no idea what to do-

11. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Raszagal doesn't follow the Khala, she's a dark templar.

12. PsiWarp

PsiWarp New Member

Aiur
    We know, but it was stated her mind succumb to Kerrigan's telepathic control. She could be infested seeing as she was a Dark Templar, but she wasn't :p

-Psi

13. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Kerrigan wasn't able to infest a terran while keeping it's intelligence until the Dark Templar Saga, four years after the Brood War. Logically she couldn't have learned to infest a protoss either.

Furthermore, the terran she properly infested, Ethan Stewart, is obviously infested. In order for Raszagal to fool the protoss, she had to look exactly the same as before. Logically, Kerrigan has not figured out how to infest anything while keeping its appearance, so she couldn't have infested Raszagal.

14. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Then why did she think she succeeded in infesting Duran? And the wiki mentions this special creep being found by the terrans later, and it was still alive... Then it stops!? Maybe this is in sc2? -Since Blizzard considered that story to be canon iirc.-

15. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

1) Who says she thought she infested him? We don't know that for sure. She could have believed the Overmind infested him from (probably short) time after she was created.

The Overmind clearly didn't share his method of creating her with Kerrigan, because Kerrigan had so much trouble with it. (It took her several failed tries - see StarCraft: Hybrid - and four years - see Ethan Stewart or StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga: Shadow Hunters - to get it right, and Stewart couldn't pass for a human like Duran could.)

If she believed she infested Duran, then she's a fool or a rose-glasses-wearing optimist. In Brood War, she demonstrated great intelligence (and also backstabbing), although Duran did manage to fool her anyway :)

2) Yes, that creep might appear in StarCraft II. However, Raszagal died four years before StarCraft II, so it's irrelevant to the discussion about Raszagal.

16. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    You might be forgetting something important there:

'I am pretty mutch the queen b!tch of the universe now.'

She is way to arrogant to cosider she might be wrong about something, especially after she has shared her thoughts with others. -- And I would love to see this creep trying to attack her broods or something like that, since it appears to have some level of intelligence.

17. Flamingdts

Flamingdts New Member

She is very arrogant indeed, but she is also very intelligent at the same time.

The irony here is, she was nothing but pure arrogance during SC, allowing Tassadar to get the better of her, outsmarting her due to his wisdom and intelligence (which is why Tassadar is still my favourite character of SC). It was only in Brood Wars that the players begin to see the more tactical, intelligent side of her develop. if you take a game of chess for example, Kerrigan used to only plan for the next move, whiles Tassadar would plan for the next 5 or 6 moves. Now, Kerrigan has learnt to plan way ahead as well.

Her arrogance in my opinion will eventually become the downfall of her, but not anytime soon. She is too highly intelligent, and is only getting smarter by the seconds.

That being said, at the end of the day she still does not strike me as someone who could outsmart the likes of Tassadar and especially overmind. If the overmind has no power over her, Kerrigan would still no be able to destroy the overmind without the help of allies. Kerrigan herself is intelligent, but also a traitor, which is how she succeeds.

When the Xel'Naga does approach, I don't think Kerrigan will have an answer for them. We know the protoss won't be fooled a second time, though the most likely scenario is both the terran confedaracy and kerrigan's broods join forces in order to push by the next species created by Xel'Naga.

18. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I find that hard to believe.
    The Xel'Naga needed thousands of years to develop the Protoss and Zerg to what they are in the game. When the humans first began to stop eating their own poo, the Prottos and, after that, Zerg were already developing for millenia. I doubt that Duran or the Xellies can create a new race in 4 years now.

19. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Flamingdts: "When the Xel'Naga does approach, I don't think Kerrigan will have an answer for them. We know the protoss won't be fooled a second time"

Zeratul doesn't seem to know the answer yet, and even if he figures it out, it's going to take him time to convince the protoss about them.

As for the hybrids, they've already been made! The raw material was already there, and the xel'naga wouldn't need a heck of a lot of time to make more. (Duran said they'd already been seeded on many worlds.)

20. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    As were the Protoss, but the Xel'Naga tinkered with them for ages before they even showed themselves. However, the Hybrids should be almost done by now. It is just weird that Duran did all that by himself. Kinda reminds me of Micheal in Stargate Atlantis. -If you have watched that show, you should know what I mean here.-