Overlords the new base defense?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by myrcutio, Mar 12, 2008.

Overlords the new base defense?

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by myrcutio, Mar 12, 2008.

1. myrcutio

myrcutio New Member

So, there's no more sunken/spore colonies, and the queen can only be in one place at a time, with 15 second cooldown. They did however mention that overlords can attack now, and spawn creep.

The attack i imagine will not be very strong, but i can definately see overlords having the option to land and BECOME defensive structures. It's a good tradeoff i think, you lose mobility but gain more in attack, and it fits with the zergs morph mentality.

2. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    That's a pretty good idea, but it's easily abusable. Overlords cost no supply and they're pretty cheap. By mid-game the player has tons of Ovies floating around, and if they turn them all into base defenses it can make a base that's near impossible to destroy. Not to mention flying an Ovie to the enemy base and planting it down at their mineral line, which would really screw them up.

Include this as a researchable upgrade and it'll be better. However I think I like the idea of a Queen controlling everything better.

3. Overling

Overling New Member

The Queen can be spawn after just the Spawning pool has been built, according to furrer's post on the Queen topic. She can also attack air, and build defensive structures. Her defensive structures would act similarly to sunken + spore, from what it seems. So we do have defensive structures, only not built by Drones, but by the Queen instead.

However, I do agree that the creep spawning thing of Overlords, or better said, Overseers, can prevent attacks such as offensive Cannons, as they won't be able to materialize over creep, and they have a limited range. Building extra creep should work defensively in these cases. But I'm against it becoming a structure when it already mutates into Overseer. He would overlap with Creep tumors, for a start.

4. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Zerg are vulnrable early game tho

5. WuHT

WuHT New Member

didn't think of excessive creep production/spread used to stop a cannon push.

--I dont' see why overlords need an attack though .. if they have the ability to corrupt gas/minerals then at least zerg and protoss need some way of getting gas to get decent anti air units (unless phase cannons are much better and queens have good GtA at hatchery le vel)

6. Gforce

Gforce New Member

having the overlords become base def would make it a bit to diffacult.

7. myrcutio

myrcutio New Member

true overlords would need some sort of limiting factor, but sunkens and spores didn't use any food in SC. Plus it would actually make your food supply MORE vulnerable since seige units could anihilate them.

As far as the queen goes, i don't really think it makes sense for her to spawn defensive structures. I think her basic attack is enough for early base defense, and overlords could supplement that later on.

Either overlords would be a primary base defense, or i don't see the point of them having an attack at all, since that overlaps with the queen.

8. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    The Queen is actually pretty weak on its own. With low hp and a slow speed it can not function without spawning defensive stuff.

9. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Overlords to not have any attack. They can generate creep and have other upgrades, but that's it.

10. DontHate

DontHate New Member

hahah, i was waiting for someone to say that after I started reading this topic. Neither does the overseer, for that matter.

I think the idea of the overlord or overseer being able to morph into a base defense is kind of cool! I see a lot of strategies with it being able to plop in a patch of creep on the ground and start turning into a building. It'd be cool if it could only turn into "creep colony"-esque buildings and require the queen to morph it untill it can be a full fleged base defense/offensive turret.

11. myrcutio

myrcutio New Member

Ah, so overlord has no attack? wonder where i heard that from...

Probably for the best, but i still like the idea of plopping an overlord down somewhere and making an outpost out of it. It's always fun to make an outpost just outside of a choke point, would be good to let zerg expand a little faster, even if it was just to make a creep colony.

12. Meloku

Meloku New Member

That better be an extremely weak attack. Otherwise, overlords would own protoss with a scout XD

13. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    Well the idea is fine. I was just clearing up the rumor that they had an attack. At this time they do not. :D

14. WuHT

WuHT New Member

Just by the queen tele-burrowing there would already mean a massive boost in potential attacking power. With a 15 second cd to return home if anything goes wrong, queens + overlords look fun!

15. leemen

leemen New Member

Seriously, I have had the similar idea with you. For Zerg base defences, only Queen can not act very well in multi-bases, even pro-players may face the problem while several assaults to different bases take place at the same time. Adding some other base defences will be good. One option is to fit overlord into this role.

My opinion is that OVERLORD, not OVERSEER, could land on to transform into some clony-like creature then take some weak attacking to air and ground. Overlord at ground can also extending the creep like the clonies did in Starcraft1, and the landed overlord can also take off and settle down at another places and the creeps under it dissappearing gradually.

For tansforming overlord as the defence will take some risk to lose the population and may nerf the Queen to some extent. I suggest giviing Queen the ability to enhance overlord's hitting or Attacking points. This ability just happen in a radius around the queen, thus only very few overlords could get the bonus simultaneously. This suggestion is something like Queen giving attacking ability to zerg's buildings, but I tranfer it to landed overlord, because I do not like the strange animation of building firing some bugs.

If the developpers did not like the idea, I hope they can make the clones back as another choise.

Anyone here can bring the idea to the developpers? I really hope this can be turn into truth.