Overlord transports

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ekulio, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Should the Overlord remain the zerg transport or should a new transport be created

1. Yes, leave as is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but Overlords need to be faster.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. They need to find a new transport.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They don't need a transport because of the nydus worm.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Overlord transports

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by ekulio, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ekulio

ekulio New Member

I've always loved zerg but one of the things that really really bothered me about them was the overlords. They're way too slow for a zerg transport. I want my transports to keep up with my mutalisks and I don't want to have to wait five minutes for them to get across the map. Zerg are amazing at rushing on land maps but it takes forever on island maps because of how slow the overlords are.

I have two suggestions. Either make overlords way faster, or better yet find another unit to serve as the transport (such as the queen)

Your thoughts?

2. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    i was thikning that maybe you could have a variation of the ultralisk to be a mid-battle transport, obviously not the primary one, leave that to a flying unit (like overlord) but just as one to run units in and of of battle

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I think the current Overlord + the new Nydus Worm solves the problem. While yes, the Overlord was a bit slow, it still was sufficient and worked as a transporter. And even though we have not fully seen how the Nydus Worm works, I am betting a good player can use it to transport units very quickly.

4. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Also with the speed issue, after you research the speed upgrade as well, they moved quickly enough to get to where you wanted to go. As alleady stated the nydus worms will most likely allow for very fast transport of units, kind of like how they were in SC 1. I say the overlord is perfectly fine the way it is.

@ Alasdair, I think you need to fix your sig, the picture isn't on it, only the directory, meaning you but the code in wrong.

5. ssjfox

ssjfox Hyperion

I think that the overlords worked fine for the zerg transports. Like you said ekulio the zerg are amaziling fast on the ground and they can expand faster than the other two races on ground because of their hactheries costing less to make. The overlords are so slow to help balance the game out imo. If the zerg could transport units through the air as fast as they could on the ground than they would just own the battlefield. I dont think the overlord needs to change as I think it helped balace the game and also like eon said when you upgrade your overlord with the speed they really arent that slow.

6. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    Also, if you have enough overlords, you can transports whole waves of attackers to the battlefeild to keep up the fight happening there. My skills haven't gotten that good yet, but I have seen that being done to me in single player campaigns. The overlord is also a great scouter early game before the other 2 races start, giving the zerg an added bonus in exploration.

7. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

I have read a SC book, and discovered that the Zerg actually use a Behemoth for interplanetary transport. I wonder if that could be an evoultion of the Overlord, so it fits more large units and makes a more effective transport.

Besides that idea, I think the Overlord and Nydus constitute a great transport system.

8. headstock

headstock New Member

i agree that the overlord was fine, but to add another reason to this...

the overlord was required for supply, so naturally you start building them straight off the mark.

They might be slower to start off untill you research the speed upgrade, but once you reasearch transport for overlords you have heaps of transports straight away

all the other teams have to build shuttles n'all that, and they're built specifically for transport.

Zerg get to upgrade a unit they already have heaps of, so it might move slow to start, but you can transport a hell of a lot more, and it only takes one research, so you can start fair quick.

If its speed was increased too much, people would say its over powering for the zerg to instantly have so many speedy transport. \

I think the lack of speed in starting off is a fair balancing act.

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    The Overlord can no longer transport! Blasphemy!

Overlords, a floating Zerg unit that determines unit cap, no longer have transport or detection abilities. Transport is now given the responsibility of Nydus Worms, and Overlords need to be upgraded to Overseers to detect.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/858/858170p1.html

10. -LT-

-LT- New Member

They don't need a transport because of the nydus worm.
    Overlord transport will be useless now.