Open Day at Hyperion

Discussion in 'Forum Information, Questions and Feedback' started by kuvasz, Feb 28, 2009.

Open Day at Hyperion

1. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    It'd be nice to see illustrative screenshots and have a tour guide lead us through on what things are and how things work, with a Q&A session at the end of the tour, all compiled into its own thread. Ultimately it'd be nice to allow everyone in the board for a whole day, but I understand if that is shot down.

In real life these things build unity by showing that the host isn't overly secretive.
    Also I think it's interesting to take a glimpse at how things work behind the scenes.

So... when's it going to be? :)

2. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    lol, trust me, not much goes on there

3. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I saw that board once, right about the time we switched forum software, there was a permissions error.
    Aparently, me liking the old software and layout is a big deal.

4. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    You liking the old SMF board is not a big deal, your stating of that opinion when the layout wasn't complete, while other members were ranting made you look like an ungrateful jackass. Personally that is all in the past but I can't speak for anyone else though.

~~

Kuvasz, kurai is right there really isn't a lot of disscussion in the Hyperion. Something like this really wouldn't be feasible because if we cloaked all of the disscussion about specific members (the majority of disscssion is about specific situations that some members create, we don't like taking unilateral action about most things regarding members who are true members so we disscuss it alot first) there wouldn't be that much disscussion left that would be interesting.

A rundown of the 6 most recent threads is basicly: 2 disscussions on a member as a whole, 3 disscussions on some situation some member has created and 1 short bookeeping thread. I chose 6 most recent because beyond that the next most recent post (beyond the 6) in a thread is from October. And just to give you a little bit more information, of those 5 disscussions/situations only 1 of the members involved was perma-banned another was temp banned and the rest were just about what could happen and how to prevent it from happening versus any actual condemations of a member.

And here is a screenshot for you, I know its not really what you want but it is the best we can give without having to censor half of the Hyperion general disscussion just to take a screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    overmind is in Hyperion? :eek:

Also, I only see 4 threads, not 6 ;)

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

When you report a post, it creates a thread in the Hyperion.

7. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    Oh sweet, so my clever little comments about bots are actually shown!

8. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    That's quite nice Kerwyn. Maybe you could elaborate on how you decide on penalties (poll or strictly posts to back claims, equal say or in proportion to power), who the most active members are, and things like that. I'm not interested in exposing everyone's wrongdoings, but rather how things work behind the scenes.

9. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    there's behind the scene work!? *looks at kerwyn* why didn't you tell me?

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Uh.

I think he means behind the scenes of the forum Kurai...

11. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    yeah, i know, just playing x3

12. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Generally the proccess starts with someone bringing up a topic of concern along with some opinion about the topic. Assuming that everyone ins't in agreement then there is generally a decent amount of back and forth and once the debate seems to be at an end action is taken in the direction of whatever the majority consensus appears to be. As far as power is concerned with the exception of Jon and Sc2 it is an equal playing field, obviously some people have access to more tools than others but there is no real chain of command (the one exception being when another Hyperion member is being disscussed and then the conversation just involves the Globals and above in a private disscussion). Actually we had a couple of threads recently that really epitomized this proccess, both are 40+ posts in length and the average post length is longer then this (I would guestimate the average post length is close to my earlier post in this thread).

13. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    ...and for those who don't understand politics or are too lazy to read Kerwyn's post:

-topic comes up
    -everyone in Hyperion(selective underground society where no one knows how to join) has a say
    -majority wins

Thus, like the US congress, nothing ultimately gets resolved quickly enough :D

oh yeah, as sc2forums isn't present atm, Jon wields than Ban Hammer of Doom and controls the majority in the Hyperion's House of Management!

Anyway...when are the next elections, and can I vote for myself?

14. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Actually, I wield the Banhammer of Doom, Jon just tells me where to strike.

15. LordKerwyn

LordKerwyn New Member

Deep Space
    Jon has got the unstoppable force version of the hammer (ie the kind that can make mods go away), and if it ever was absolutely nesseccary I could forge one myself, but I would just prefer to stay out of any situation that would require its use (the idea of acting against any mod leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Also, Eon think of the Hyperion more as an oligarchy versus a democracy (even though the comparisson to congress and acting swiftly is very apt sometimes), no one is elected they are just "invited" to join...

On another note the Thor's Hammer award goes to Fenix and his ability to slaughter bots (and sometimes members) without any mercy.

16. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Is 'Reported post by overmind' from me reporting a bot or one of my posts getting reported?

17. KuraiKozo

KuraiKozo New Member

Uranus lol =D
    yes, ovemrind, it is. any post reported will get duplicated with its reason in the hyperion. and as willy said we see your...witty comments and reasoning behind the report.

18. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    Can I see your inviting criteria? I want to know if its a lost cause of me ever getting in or if I actually have a very, very small chance of one day getting in.

I still wonder how kurai became a mod while I still stay as a lowly member, as I was the one to show her the site :(
    just remember I'm always here if another mod spot opens up :D

19. Meee

Meee New Member

Poland
    The way I figure, if we aren't in yet, we don't have what it takes

20. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Basically, we look for people who present a good face to the forum.

This includes being helpful, being polite to members, both new and old, presenting good ideas, so on and so forth. We also look, though to a lesser extent, and they way you write. Proper grammar, spelling, that sort of thing is a plus.