Older Marine or footman marine?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by D4rKNiGhT, Apr 16, 2009.

Older Marine or footman marine?

Discussion in 'Terran' started by D4rKNiGhT, Apr 16, 2009.

1. D4rKNiGhT

D4rKNiGhT New Member

Hello every1!! i call you for a vote. What do you think is better, the new marine skin (with the shield style footman from W3) or the older marine?

Well, my opinion is, the new marine with shield is horrible. How you can use a machine gun with one hand and defend yourself with a shield in a war against thousand of thousand of zergs? dont have any sense.

PD: er... i cant see the option for vote...well tell your opinion then!

cya!

2. Light

Light Guest

Yeah, shields really suck. Seriously, shields? You couldn't come up with anything better in 25(8?)--? Give em advanced armor, forcefields, a new purely defensive unit (which would be damn awesome), but shields is just crap. And its ugly.

3. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I agree, but why is everyone ignoring the Gears of War 2 shield? Never heard anyone talk about other games with shields on this subject.

And a purely defensive unit sounds cool, but Terran already are the turtle race. That would make it worce.
    However, it would be a great addition to the variety of units in the campaign. Just to keep it interesting to play.

4. Light

Light Guest

Eh, if they wanted it to be less turtly (tho I turtle all the time) they should have kept the original thor instead of making him a slow anti-air.

5. Renatus

Renatus New Member

Shields make sense from a lore point of view - they are commonly used in riot situations.

Tbh, i love their new shields and they really make sense when you think about a zergling charge.. You're gonna want to take the brunt of it on a shield and not on your armour, then haul or push backward while allowing shooting! They also defend against hydralisk spines!

I cant see the problem here :<.

On another note - they look nothing like footmen, infact this argument is insane..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I don't like the new thor. It is supposed to cripple enemy defeses. Be the ultimate assault unit. Now they turned it into a flack cannon with legs.
    And Blizzard is to blame for terran being even worse of a turtle race. Siege tanks even more range, new units focus on defense and keeping units at bay -marauder- etc. I too play turtle if I have to play terran, but I prefer to attack. -hence the zerg logo, even though the protoss look better imo-

7. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    Completely agree, shields suck.

8. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    I like the shields, some people may find it unusual to see an advance race using shields. You have to realize though that even in modern times we use riot shields. Heck even some scifi shows I watch have shields in it. It's just used as a way to get cover behind something when you are in an area with no cover.

9. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    i too like the shields, they dont look like warcraft 3 footmen in anyway, the shield are much more higher-techy looking and would make sense i mean.. your being shot at by other marines, or other materials or a bunch of zerglings are running at you wouldnt you like to have something to hide behind? instead of your face?

I dont see a problem with the shields and this is a very old discussion from back when the game was announced..

its nothing new.

10. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    Maybe a shield works against humans in a riot, but not against Zerg that can penetrate even Battlecruiser armor. Also, I doubt that it will stop a psi blade or even a regular marine bullet. -especially since they come from gauss rifles-

11. overmind

overmind Active Member

New Zealand
    The thing is, they are not riot shield looking, they are footmen shields. Riot shields were a compromise i wanted back when they were announced (still don't like the idea of shields but still) but blizzard seems to want to nod to warcraft.

12. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    More advance people,more advance metal.If a riot shield can protect cops from some gun fire, and bullet proof glass protects against most guns. I don't see why it's implausible for the terrans to come up with a strong back up shield for their marines.

13. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    plus it gives them a sense of security i suppose which makes them more sturdy in combat, giving them a way to buckle down and feel more protected when firing there shots could improve accuracy as well.

14. Bthammer45

Bthammer45 New Member

I personally don't like the shield maybe they could give the marines like 5 points for like a energy shield or something.

15. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    I like the shield, it fits the terran's style of heavy armor. It doesn't look out of place.

Having something like an energy shield wouldn't fit, as that's the protoss's style.

16. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Precisely! Maybe Blizzard did think of giving them a shield like the protoss. But that would be intruding on what makes the protoss. I'd like Starcraft too stay with having three distinct races.

17. ItzaHexGor

ItzaHexGor Active Member

Sydney, Australia
    If I were going up against hordes of Zerglings, Banelings, Roaches, Hydralisks, Lurkers, Infestors, Infested Marines, Ultralisks, Queens, Mutalisks, Guardians, Spine Crawlers, Zealots, Stalkers, High Templar, Dark Templar, Archons, Nullifiers, Immortals, Colossi, Phoenix, Void Rays, Carriers, Motherships, Photon Cannons, other Marines, Marauders, Reapers, Ghosts, Hellions, Siege Tanks, Vikings, Thors, Banshees, Battlecruisers, Nighthawks and Auto-Turrets... You wouldn't see me refusing a shield.

But seriously, there are a couple of ways of looking at this, from the view of the shield itself, and the view of playing in-game.

As for the shield itself, why is it so nonsensical? For those who aren't aware, the shield is strapped to the Marine's arm, so when wielding a shield, he is not holding his rifle in one hand. And if the shield, which is basically a piece of Battlecruiser hull, is so useless, for whatever reason, why is the Marine wearing armour? The shield is simply another layer of armour. In a riot, would a copper who's wearing a flak vest and helmet be better or worse off than another copper who's wearing a flak vest, helmet and holding a riot shield? I honestly don't see people would say it's useless. The prime example is that a Marine can survive a blow from an Ultralisk when holding this shield. Just picture that for a sec. Instead of the Ultralisk cleaving straight through the Marine, it's got to get through the piece of Battlecruiser that's in its way first.

To put it another way, adding a shield it like doubling the amount of armour the Marine's wearing, because, really, that's what it's doing, which brings me back to my original point of if the shield's so useless, why are the Marines wearing armour?

And as for the gameplay point of view, I'd much rather a visual upgrade to a 'oh, by the way, your Marines now have twice as much health as they did before for some reason'.

18. bralbers

bralbers New Member

North Carolina, USA
    Go Itza bringing down the thunder! I just did get a funny thought though, like when you get the upgrade instead the marine just became bigger. I ended up imagining a normal guy looking like a sumo wrestler. I'm liking the shield more already.

19. necromas

necromas New Member

Minneapolis, MN
    Agreed.

Also, the whole point of the shields is that you can tell when they've been upgraded since it makes a lot of attacks no longer kill them in 1 hit (like banelings).

Here's a pic for reference:

[​IMG]

I don't think they look like footmen.

[​IMG]

Don't even begin to argue about the practicality of it, when spines thrown by hydralisks can take down capital ships, and a unit can be 1 hit point away from complete destruction but still be able to fight at 100% efficiency, and it makes no sense the way the sides design their armies or that the most massive battles in an intergalactic war are fought with at most 200 infantry men on either side (or 400 zerglings I guess).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  20. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    I like the shield. That is all.