# of Larvae

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by didd293, Jul 5, 2007.

# of Larvae

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by didd293, Jul 5, 2007.

1. didd293

didd293 New Member

Do you think Blizzard should change the number of larvae per hatchery. i think they should increase it to about five or six for that swarm feeling, though that couild make it too unbalanced

2. Skylark

Skylark New Member

It would make it grossly unbalanced. In fact, I thought about this one day and realized that the zerg, number of available resources aside, can produce about 10 worker units in the time it takes the protoss and terran to make 5. Now, the longer this goes, the smaller the gap becomes percentage-wise, because the zerg start out with three larvae (and by that token, three eggs with which to immediately spawn).

However, the fact that the zerg need to sacrifice a worker unit every time they produce a structure makes the aforementioned statistic somewhat fair, as they need more worker units than their protoss and terran counterparts. So...unless they place a greater burden on the workers (or something along those lines), I think it would be a huge balance issue if they raised the number of larvae.

3. didd293

didd293 New Member

make the delay time between each new larvae longer maybe? and make all the build times longer

4. Lord David

Lord David New Member

Melbourne, Australian Continent, Earth, Sector 001
    I'd probably just add towards the number of larvae with each Lair/Hive upgrade...

Hatchery: 3
    Lair: 4
    Hive: 5

This is obvious for those that dislike a whole base full of hatcheries... maybe even a hatchery equivalent (as in stacking) for any hatchery/lair/hive? Just a thought...

5. burkid

burkid New Member

that would be kinda unbalanced david, having 5 larvae. it should either go 3-3-4 or the spawning speed should noticably increase at hive level

6. Zergme

Zergme New Member

im with you there that sounds so cool

7. Meloku

Meloku New Member

I have no comment on how they will make it in starcraft 2, because I honnestly have no idea. However, I did always find it fascinating how they balanced 3 races that even build differently. GJ blizz.

8. mc2

mc2 New Member

I'd like to see either lord david's idea
    OR
    have a max of 3 larvaes at all times but increase the spawning speed, so instead of one every 20sec, make it one every 15sec

9. Zergme

Zergme New Member

yea thats also a good idea i like that too lol

10. Dxun

Dxun New Member

well i do believe blizzard wants to give us bigger swarms, so which ever idea they use I'm sure it'll be awesome :powerup:

11. josh

josh New Member

In Our House
    i wouldn't recommend increasing the spawn rate and number. zerg is already quick in building and cheap.

totally unbalanced. a cheaper hatchery is my suggestion.

12. Ych

Ych New Member

I think Blizzard might have an upgrade during mid-late game that would increase the growth rate of the larvaes. That, or increase the max of larvaes of each hatcheries to 4 larvaes.

Blizzard said that they want to make each and every unit overpowered. But in the end, it balances out. We have seen that the Protoss are getting many new overpowered Toys. So having this kind of upgrade to increase the larvae rate (or max amount of larvaes) will of course sound overpowered also. But in the end, it's going to balance out, which is Blizzards formula of making SC2.

13. mc2

mc2 New Member

The required for zerg to mass units is high at mid to late game. Because there'll be multiple hatcheries, and hence allow a zerg players to alter unit strategies quickly.

However (unless the player goes for the 4/6 pool-ling rush) the zerg are usually fairly slow to start in early game. Because overlords take up larvaes. And it's always a hard to decide whether to morph a drone or a ling with the ever precious larvaes in the early early game.

14. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

congrats on the legend well soon to be mc2 and i think the larva count is fine is it is right not. i mean all you need to do is build more hatcheries geez.

15. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    Maybe the player can research a special ability that temporarily causes the Hatchery to produce larva at an accelerated rate for say, 30 seconds in times of emergency, but require a few minutes to recharge, or hit it with a decreased spawn rate afterwards (like the Phoenix's Overload.)

16. burkid

burkid New Member

that would be nice, if you need larva now kinda steal the spawn rate of larva from later in the game, so more now, less later.

17. DontHate

DontHate New Member

yea. an upgrade to do that would make more sence.

18. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    What if you upgrade the queen to have an attack that is similar to broodling except you typically use it on your own units. What you do is research the spell "infestation", and when queen has 175 energy, you can cast it on a unit and in 5 seconds 5 larvae will burst out of it, killing it.

It sounds creepy, but it kinda goes along with the whole planet infestation thing. This can also be cast on an enemy unit, but if its not a zerg opponent chances are the larvae will just die off the second they're on the ground. What do you think? ;D

19. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    It won't really be all that useful if all the larvae just died the second they popped out, since you might as well just use Spawn Broodling. At least they have about 20 seconds of life.

20. marinepower

marinepower New Member

Fairfax
    That's why you have both spawn broodling and infestation. Spawn broodling makes units when cast off the creep, while infestation can be cast on units while they are on the creep. When used in an enemy zergs base, 5 larvae can be a big distraction, especially if u start morphing them into 5 200 hp eggs :)