Observer- needs more interactivity

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ShasOkais, Nov 2, 2007.

Observer- needs more interactivity

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by ShasOkais, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ShasOkais

ShasOkais New Member

Canada
    Honestly, back in SC1 the observers were very boring units. I agree though that they're very useful but c'mon, the units got to be more interactive.

Cloaking is good :good:

Size is good :good:

But why not give them an expensive upgrade for an armament. Not like a normal attack upgrade but more like an ability (like the forerunner sentinel beam). TBH,Yes I got this idea when I was playing Halo. Give the observer one powerful shot (Yamato Gun for example; for those of you who don't play Halo) but it has to recharge for like 2 minutes after every shot. The shot should be like a mini- Warp Ray beam that lasts for about 5 seconds. It's not that strong and definitely it cannot kill a battlecruiser but its probably useful for killing lone workers or marines. Of course this isn't that cheap a weapon since you should only get these things in late games and you can imagine you would need like 15 observers to take down one out of five battle cruisers or carriers. The science vessel can't get all the fun. Its worth a shot.

2. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Um NO.

3. Z-BosoN

Z-BosoN New Member

That would kind of ruin the purpose of the observer. I would suggest for an upgrade - if any - something related to armoy or hit points, making it harder to destroy.

I still think the original speed and scout range were fine though.

4. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    It was already one of the best units in the game.

The perfect spy

5. The Watcher

The Watcher Guest

I do agree with the science vessel having more fun and being more usefull, and its needing SOMETHING, but I just don't think an attack is the answer, more support abilities I say.

Like a protoss parasite detection, by having a psionic tag attach to the unit to follow it around, and transfer data to the obs.

and if you don't like it, don't use it!

6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I always though it would be cool to hack the enemy and gain his sight range for a short ammount of time (till your observer dies)

7. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah.....Little robo-bug.

8. Shadow Templar

Shadow Templar New Member

If there is an upgrade, it should definitely one that helps it's spying capabilities.

Something like a temporary speed boost for escaping, or possibly a blink. Maybe even a one time radar sweep, although this does overlap with the Radar Tower. Or, heres a fun one, if you click on it enough times, it copies the phrase of the unit that has the highest population on the map. An example would be if your opponent massed zerglings, and you spammed clicked the observer, it would make zergling noises. That would be an interesting, yet potentially powerful ability.

9. hillzagold

hillzagold New Member

do you not know the meaning of the word 'observer'?

10. Patuljak

Patuljak New Member

Slovenia
    LOL ;D

Nah, the observer certainly doesn't need an attack. A temporary speed boost could be cool, but I don't think that it's needed. Speed/sight upgrade is enough.

11. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    I'd like to see a deployable mode where it has a larger sight range. Maybe, when the sensor upgrade is researched, it can't use it in normal flight, but can use it when it stops and deploys, like the Mothership's cloak field and the Phase Prism's psi field.

12. Quanta

Quanta New Member

I like BoP's idea

Maybe you could get an upgrade so that you could have your observer attatch itself to an enemy CC/Nexus/Hatchery ect. It would lose cloak and shields and would be unable to move or detatch but you would gain the enemies entire line of sight for either some time period, maybe 10-20 seconds, afterwards the observer dies or until the observer is killed, or something like that.

13. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova
    maybe something like the observer has the ability to deploy a tiny unit onto an enemy and gain its line of site until the enemy is killed. However, the unit can be known by the enemy and a medic or shield battery like object can remove it. Like the parasite the queens used in sc 1.

14. Trooper_Lozer

Trooper_Lozer New Member

sorry to say, but i really dont like any of yalls ideas... itsjust they dont fit the observer much, it is plainly a observer nothing more... its meant to go and spy on the enemy. if anything make the observer go faster when it is uncloaked, that way u could sort of be smart with it. like if u need it to get somewhere really fast make it uncloak but it will speed up alot. that way u run the risk of losing it. at the same time however u get the added benefit that it could be used anywhere on the map quickly. i think it would be usefull supposing you needed a detector somewhere on the map. uncloak it and send it there then cloak it again so it dont get killed so fast.

15. headstock

headstock New Member

I quite like the idea by BirdofPrey and Quanta.

An observer that attaches itself to the enemy nexus, command cetre, or hive, will give you the enemies line of sight for a short amount of time.

Pretty kewl i reckon, but i'd suggest a significant cost for the user... maybe the requirement of an extra 4 pylons worth of supply than your actually using,...

OR maybe your own nexus' will be disabled for twice the amount of time you gain line of sight for.

Something that will try to balance out the ability to see what the enemy sees, cause it would be quite powerful.

I do like the possibility though.

16. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I was thinking the observer would decloak ro have a large vespene cost to use the ability

17. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    vespene cost? You mean to upgrade the observer to have the ability.

Or are you talking about power to use the ability?

18. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Sy 100 min and 250 gas to upgrade and 100 gas to use it.

The chance to see EVERY single one of your enemy's units is certainly worth 100 or so vespene is it not? In fact that might be a tad cheap since it gives you such a great deal of information

19. EonMaster

Black City, Unova
    I'd say at least 400 min and 400 gas for the updrade.

20. Jamaca

Jamaca New Member

a nuke is way to bland to even be considered

it would be cool however to have a survival mechanic

has anyone played battleships the warcraft3 map?
    in that map you could play as a trader which was a weak ship but it had abilities that increased its speed and a fog thing that made it invulnerable

the observer can use all its energy (giving up invisibility) to use a speed boots or maybe give it invulnerbility (trans dimentional behaps? would be hard to put in from a lore point of view i dunno)

this would ad a balancing act as you would need to chose invisi or speed etc
    more interactivity and mroe fun, without some random nuke

edit- just thoguht up an idea, if zealots can disassemble their atoms for charge why not give it to the observer

for 5 secounds the observer disassembles its atoms giving up invis and gains 30% move speed bonus and 100% evasion
    fits from a lore pointof view and incorporates the 2 ideas i had before, not to mention re-enforcing a protoss theme