Obelisk -vs- Orbital Command

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by n00bonicPlague, Jun 20, 2009.

Obelisk -vs- Orbital Command

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by n00bonicPlague, Jun 20, 2009.

1. n00bonicPlague

n00bonicPlague New Member

I've been doing some thinking about the Obelisk, comparing it to the Orbital Command.
    In this thinking I have found what the OC has in surplus and the Obelisk lacks heavily:
    -- the ability to save you time and resources
    -- a virtually limitless level of mobility

MULE Drop saves time and resources you would've spent on building SCVs. Call Down Extra Supplies saves time and resources you would've spent on building Supply Depots. Scanner Sweep saves time and resources you would've spent on building Turrets, Sensor Towers, and Ravens. This creates true competition between all of the abilities that the OC has. Also, the OC can cast all of its abilities anywhere on the map, making them useful no matter what the situation.

The Obelisk, however, has only one ability that can save you significant time and resources: Proton Charge. The other two abilities -- Shield Regeneration and Energy Regeneration -- can save you some time and maybe some resources, but the Obelisk's lack of mobility and its limited casting range prevents those two abilities from being readily available, thus causing them to be rarely used, which then leads to poor competition between the abilities. Ultimately, the only ability that is frequently used is Proton Charge.

To solve this problem, there are two major things that need to be done. First, we need at least one more ability that can save a significant amount of time and resources, and thus provide enough weight to balance against Proton Charge. Second, we need to give these abilities mobility, but without directly copying the OC's unlimited range. There are many ways that this can be achieved, but I suggest the following.

First, make the Nexus and Obelisk share a communal energy bank, where each Obelisk increases the storage size of the bank and each Nexus increases the recharge rate of the bank. Next, create an ability called Psionic Flux, which permanently increases a target pylon's psi supply and radius of psionic influence, but only once per pylon. This ability will save time and resources that would've been spent on constructing additional pylons. Then, give Proton Charge and Psionic Flux to the Nexus, while leaving Shield Regen. and Energy Regen. with the Obelisk. Finally, the Obelisk should not provide psi supply, but it should provide a small radius of pylon power which allows it to act as a warp-in point for Warp Gates.

The suggestions in the above paragraph should solve the Obelisk's problems and provide a well integrated macro system for the Protoss. Naturally, all numbers are subject to balance.

Anyway, wadda yous guys think?

2. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Im not much concerned with the feudal/farming business but what I think is...

1. Those other two races have far more advantage in resource gathering compared to the zerg, why cry about it when you could shed some tears for the swarm?

2. In terms of benefits, I think they fairly match well since they both give plus to gathering and 2nd mule drop is not permanent so it balances out the obelisks proton charge skill,. The other abilities are rather incomparable the way I see it, they tend to support the player more than they effect the game in terms of turning the tide of battle into one definite victory.. but it might possibly, both of them...

3. A solution of gaining a bank system that individually alters its stats along with the Nexus is far too complicated to put time into... Energy recharging is a very distinctive structure for the protoss and I believe that nobody wants to storm themselves inside a protoss base with an endless psionic storm now do we?? or what about the Mothership beside those??... 2ndly about Psionic Flux,.. did anyone ever have a serious insecurity against the pylon? Probably 1 out of 100 person would say so, but the structure is just fine as it is, its not too big to get in the way, and its definitely not expensive to make alot of, so whats a skills purpose to alter the stability in that scenario?

4. The Nexus, --- the Command center has skills, the Hatchery can evolve. so now you are suggesting that the Nexus be given at least something... I might agree on this on giving the nexus the ability to at least give purpose for its bulk, but somehow I cant visualize that coming into the game... because it just wouldnt be normal,. I now understand that SC races is supposed to be imbalanced to maintain its trademark uniqueness, we will just have to adjust and see what can happen.

3. Novacute

Novacute New Member

I disagree. Obelisks are relatively cheaper than a command centre to build. The fact that multiple obelisks can be built to increase effectiveness of protoss units (shield regenration and energy regen) already allows them to have the additional offensive edge. Also, let's not forget that Proton charge can be readily used at any given time, and most likely, an experienced player will always have their probes 'charged' throughout the entire game. (Also, you're allowed to build as many obelisks as you want) The terrans however, don't have the luxury of calling down mules due to the fact that Command centres are expensive, mules are temporary and normally, no more than 2-3 centres are built in a 1v1 game. This limits the use of such assets for the Terran player. In effect, the resources gathered can potentially equal during the course of the match.

Additionally, the terran faction is the only faction with a relatively late mobile detector. Without the scanner sweep during early games, they are at a significant disadvantage against zergs and dark templars. In terms of mobility, Protoss already have a warp in ability for it's units which essentially makes them one of the most effective 'shock' faction, comparable to the Zerg (creep bonuses and nydus/transport worm). Asking for further mobility will ruin the game balance and destroy the distinct features of each respective that Blizzard implemented. With the addition of psi, i believe it draw too much parallel with the Terran 'add supply' capability. The pylon is a solid building, and let's not forget, it now allows protoss forces to 'warp in'. Again, such an ability will ruin the balance seeing as how pylons are incredibly useful as a supply structure.

(OFF TOPIC) I agree with freedom's argument. The fact that zerg doesn't have an advanced macro resource gathering mechanism already place the latter at a disadvantage.

4. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

Nothing needs to be done to the OC. it runs of energy but your not gonna spam them are u??? not if you need them for scans before you each a raven. The obelisk can be easly massed and is WAY more helpul to units then the OC is in general.

Can the obelisk be built off Pylones energy or did they change that sence it doesnt give off that same energy anymore???

For its low coast and the high coast of a OC and only having a few you didnt think about there constant over uses that would be put into effect.

5. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    im going to have to say that Obelisks have to built on pylon power, since they no longer supply pylon power themself.

6. n00bonicPlague

n00bonicPlague New Member

Yes, I agree that the zerg are the most lacking in proper macro mechanics, and I almost brought them up into this, but I decided that they needed a separate topic (which I haven't made yet).

7. freedom23

freedom23 New Member

Which probably wouldnt need a topic since its so obvious that Blizzard will note of that eventually when they realize that the creep bonus is insufficient for the zerg to compensate against the other two..