Nydus Worm Blizzcon build

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by VodkaChill, Oct 23, 2008.

?

Blizzcon'S Nydus Worm build

1. Love it! Can't wait to use it all the time.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Like it.

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. Not sure what it is.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Dislike, but what choice do I have.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Strongly Dislike.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%

Nydus Worm Blizzcon build

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by VodkaChill, Oct 23, 2008.

1. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Here is a quick view on the Nydus Worm pre-Blizzcon and Post-Blizzcon. Posted by Karune: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=11676580175&sid=3000

Poll seems to be pro this mechanism. What is your opinion? Let's have a SC2 Poll, but please read Karune's description before voting :)

I kept most of Karune's choices since we want to compare our numbers. I slightly changed one answer.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. Alasdair

Alasdair New Member

Toronto
    I don't like the idea at all, I think that the Nydus Canal was fine.

The amount of maneuverability this gives the Zerg will make matches against Zerg just scouting everywhere for a sneak attack through a Nydus Worm drop instead of spending their time trying to actually beat the Zerg

Maybe a cool new thing they could do is have site where you build hole (build mutiple holes...), and you just have one Nydus Worm and it can run between the holes and drop troops it's loaded (where you would have to load in a hole that the Nydus Worm is already at.

I also think that the overlords should get their transportation capabilities back =)

3. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    yes i read this a while ago, and it made me think weather i should keep the Nydus Worm in my database or not because Blizzard no longer thinks of it as a building. in the end i decided to keep it in just in case they change it back to a unit for some reason or other.

4. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States
  5. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    The Nydus Worm started great, but way too strong. Then it went bad. Now it's getting better, but still it does not have the punch of the first Nydus Worm.

I really hope they change it. The Blizzard Poll does not seem to be representing the real feeling about the worm since most people hate it...

6. Aurora

Aurora The Defiant

The Netherlands
    I don't like the new mechanic, especially since it no longer costs the player any minerals, but energy. Like Alasdair said, the new Worm is much easier to spam across the map. That's not increased maneuverability, that's maddness. My vote: dislike. (However, we do have a choice, the development team isn't asking us what we think just "cuz they can".)

I like the idea of having only one Worm that you have to order to go to specific entries and exits, but still having multiple holes at the same time, which just aren't in use. These could be harder to destroy, but the player can't get a Worm into a hole that's under attack. (except if it's the only hole you have) This reduces the scout and sneak atacks, and players would really have to guard their channels again, like it was in SC:BW.

By the way, does anyone know if the Worm can also be used by allied troops? (and if it can, do those allies have to be Zerg, or can other races also use them) I tried to find information about that, but I can't really find it.

7. Kaaraa

Kaaraa Space Junkie

United States

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  8. darks_11

darks_11 New Member

I don't know about you guys but i think this idea is awsome!!!! 4/5 stars

9. AngelLestat

AngelLestat New Member

Problems of the current Nydus Worm

1-It doest'n have a good dynamic or strategic options.
    2-Inefficient and expensive if you want to move few units as a drone.
    3-Uses like climbing a cliff or cross terrain and then quickly download units or move them to another side are unthinkable in a game with this system.
    4-Too much decisive, because when you use it may mean victory or a great loss.

The solution is make a pre stage where you can mutate that pre stage in the actual Nydus System how I explain here with the pictures.

http://www.starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5069&page=4

Pages 3 and 5 it has more images.
    The last 2 images can solve some engine problems with the first idea.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    An ability simply cannot replace the Overlord's transport IMO. Either reinstate the Ventral Sacs and keep the Nydus as this weird ability that almost works like Warp In, or make the Nydus Worm, again, a unit that has to move and deploy.

11. Arvendragon

Arvendragon Member

Canada
    What?
    The Nydus Worm is awesome. It needs only an Overseer/Overlord to target, contains infinite units so that it does not matter if any Overlords die, the units appear instantly, and it can not be killed.
    What's NOT to like?

12. Zerks

Zerks New Member

what really aggrevates me is that, the Zerg dont have a "transport unit" anymore, its a unit that is made by energy which iim sure last only a little bit....

so in effect the Zerg dont have a transport.

-Zerks

13. VodkaChill

VodkaChill New Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    The Nydus Worm as an controllable uncloaked unit that can move across any terrain was the best idea. Without the creep pre required to deploy and undeploy. A real transport

Cloak was better but balance was the issue. Make it cost a lot so that Zerg does not have 100 of them XD

14. GupLup[E]

GupLup[E] New Member

MI
    eh, i think overlordds dropping is still better. u could bring like 5 overseers and make 5 nydus worms and just hope they dont get killed. in SC1 u could send a few overlords, and just drop units. so much easier.
    also, alot of times in later game, when i hvae cracklings and drop tech, i like to drop 2 ovies full of lings at an expo and take out the cc/nexus. now in sc2, that wont be possible to do on decent players who bring a few guys and kill the worms.