Nullifier

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gasmaskguy, Jan 22, 2008.

?

What name do you prefer for the Nullifier

1. Nullifier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stasis Orb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Star Relic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Nullifier

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Gasmaskguy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    This thread is about the newly uncovered Protoss Nullifier, a tier 1 caster. The High Templars Force Field has been moved to the Nullifier, and another ability which we yet don't know the effect of; the Null Void has been given to it. Any speculations, ideas or opinions about the Nullifier? Better than the Stasis Orb?

2. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

Well first of all, the name 'Nullifier' is MUCH cooler than 'Stasis Orb' or 'Star Relic.' It sounds really good and seems to be very Protoss-appropriate.

It sounds like this unit is going to be responsible for decreasing an enemy attack's threat. Creating a force field to block choke points or divide troops can nullify (note the word play!) an attack pretty well. This makes me wonder what is now going to fill the new slot in the High Templar's spells, but that is for another thread.

As far as Null Void goes, I would guess that it is some sort of mini black hole or power drain. Perhaps it will sap the energy of enemy casters or damage enemy units while freezing them in place. I could see this ability doing any number of things.

All in all, I can't wait to see the new unit in action.

3. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    lol. Yeah, I expect most, if not all of its abilities to nullify enemies. Maybe a miniature stasis field, or energy drainer of some kind. And yeah, the name Nullifier is a lot better.

4. Seradin

Seradin New Member

Aiur
    you should change the name to the Nullifier and the new high templar, i want to talk about it aswelll in this.

5. don_bocci

don_bocci New Member

Nullifier definitely has a nice ring to it and the force field ability fits well with the name. As far as Null Void goes we could take it in a few different ways if we go by the name, if we take Null as a verb it would mean to make nothing, so to Null a Void would mean to make nothing nothing. That doesn't make much sense, but if we interpret Null as a negation, Null Void it would mean to make not nothing which we could interpret into an explosion of some type. Considering the Protoss's nature this explosion probably would have to do with energy perhaps something like the Dark Archon's Feedback ability only it just does damage and not a flat out kill.

Ok so after all that I think that its is more likely going to be a defensive ability as suggested by the name and the fact that the High Templar are already offensive casters so Null Void is probably something to do with stasis or maybe it just creates energy for a caster who has none. ~ To make not nothing. ~

So thats my speculation but then again this is Blizzard they have been known to surprise us all from time to time.

6. ShoGun

ShoGun Guest

Nullifier is a ground unit, correct? I believe blizzard mentioned they were experimenting with a new Protoss air unit, is the nullifier it? Also, I think allowing casters to transfer energy to each other is a great Protoss mechanic. Can someone shed some light and list each and every Protoss and Terran mechanics currently in starcraft 2 for reference? 0_o

The Protoss now have one more unit then they did in starcraft 1 which is fifteen as opposed to fourteen in starcraft 1. Currently they have . . . Probe, Zealot, Stalker, Immortal, High Templar, Dark Templar, Twilight Archon, Observer, Phase Prism, Colossus, Phoenix, Warp Ray, Carrier, Mother Ship, and possibly the Nullifier.

And incase anyone wants to know, right now the Terran have SCV, Marine, Reaper, Ghost, Viking, Siege Tank, Banshee, Nomad, and Battle Cruiser. Possible units to be added are Medic, Dropship, and Firebat (or some unit to replace its role), so that is all together twelve units, compared to thirteen units that were in the original starcraft. I am expecting one of the two things for the Terran . . . Blizzard will move the Viking back to the factory, and create another air unit, or blizzard will keep the Viking in the starport and create another unit for the factory.

7. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

@ ShoGun - you have come to almost the same conclusion I did in this thread, where I predict the total unit counts for all three races based on what we have seen thus far. The only difference is I assume two possible new Terran units, for a total of fourteen.

8. Itsmyship

Itsmyship New Member

Where only cool people live... So Cal!
    I'm predicting Blizz will stick with the Nullifier this time. From what I've heard so far, people seem rather content over it, although I do expect it to be pushed back a bit in the tech tree bit, maybe to Robotics Facility or of that such. Another thing I expect Blizzard to do is do something with the Carrier, I don't exactly know what, but I'm expecting them to add a tweak to it or such.

As for Terran, I agree with Shogun that they're bringing the Viking back to the Factory and that they'll put it back to how it originally was where you had to research flight form. I also expect them to mess around with the Thor quite a bit. It just seems far to unfinished right now. I also expect the Firebat to return in all its blaze of glory. Question though, did they find a replacement for the Predator yet?

9. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I doubt that. The Nullifier is so early tier 1 that it can stop zergling rushes. That's too early for air units.

10. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    The nullifier is not a new unit. Did you miss the part in parenthases where it said "(previously named the Stasis orb)"?

I'm am interested in this null void thing though. Sounds to me like it would block weapons fire or unit control or something

11. MeisterX

MeisterX Hyperion

New Port Richey, FL
    I like the idea of a new tier one Protoss caster, but this definitely signals something else for the Terran at the lower tiers as well.

I'm convinced at this point that the Viking has moved back to the Factory and away from the Starport, which might be why they've redesigned the Protoss early game to compensate for the Viking's abilities in tier 1-2.

I still don't like the name "Nullifier" though. I don't really like an adjective that is based on an actual verb "nullify." That's what it does, not what it's called. Lol.

I liked Stasis Orb a little better, but not much.

12. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yea, they need Protoss units with some Protoss dialect or them words no one has heard before like Corsair and Arbitor. imo I think it adds a better feel to the Protoss. ''Protoss Mothership'' just sounds boring and plain.
    Not too sure about either names; Stasis orb or Nullifier, they both sound meh... Star relic sounded decent even tho I've never heard about the units abilities.

---

I've noticed people mentioning they do or don't like the name for the new/re-worked Stasis Orb/Star Relic so I wanna know which name you guys think is best and why, also say why not the other names...

I vote Star Relic as it just seems more Protoss to me and the word relic plays into the theme of Protoss with them being all knowledgable, they know about the universe hence star and relic as they've been around for a long time and they live for a long time compared to others.

13. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Re: Poll: Which name?

I voted Nullifier because it doesn't seems as high tech as the other names, and the nullifier is tier 1-2

14. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

Nullifier is a great name for a tier 1.

15. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed

But does Nullifier really sound Protoss tho? Just reminds me of something which would relate to Final Fantasy

16. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden

It sounds a lot more Protoss than Zerg, that I can tell ya. And it just fits the theme of trapping, and thereby nullifying enemies.

17. EonMaster

EonMaster Eeveelution Master

Black City, Unova

I like the nullifier. And I agree with what GMG said, the name fits.

18. Light

Light Guest

Stasis orb for me :p nullifier sounds goofy.

19. -LT-

-LT- New Member

I like the Nullifier. I think that one is the best.

20. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

Well, Protoss unit names seem to be either myth based or overtly practical, so Nullifier fits pretty well.