NEW Zerg unit: The Swarm.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Jun 29, 2008.

?

What do you think of the Swarm unit?

1. I like it!

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. It's OK / I don't care

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I don't like it.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%

NEW Zerg unit: The Swarm.

Discussion in 'Zerg' started by Gasmaskguy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    I found the news over at starcraftwire.net, you can read the full article which futures other news here:
    http://www.starcraftwire.net/articles/664/list-of-new-zerg-changes/page1

What I was more interested in specifically letting you know is the existance of a new Zerg unit. It's not a big one, but I like this future as it further separates Zerg buildings from the Protoss and Terran buildings.

"The Swarm is a Zerg creature that apparently lives inside buildings. When a building is destroyed, a number of Swarm creatures are spawned, depending on how prominent the building. Extractors and Spine Crawler produces none, while a Lair will produce over 15. They have a very short lifespan outside the building (like 4-5 seconds), and will all die simultaneously when time runs out. In the meanwhile, they can still hurt you, with their 4 Melee damage and fast attack speed. It's a fast ground unit with Light armour at +0. They have minimal health, and expires within very few seconds. This is a great way to stall intruders that have to spend time killing them, or manage to build a defence, and works great with the Zerg in general. It often kills, or decently damages at least one attacker, if it is in an early tier."

In other news, all Zerg structures take damage without creep now. In SC1, a Zerg building that doesn't generate creep will survive on it's own after the destruction of all the creep sources. The building keeps the creep that is under it. But, in SC2 that Creep also disappears and the building will take 2 damage/sec.

2. lurkers_lurk

lurkers_lurk New Member

Red Bluff, CA
    =P, they are trying to trick us again, The Swarm, lol, might as well call it the Broodling

3. Tralfagar

Tralfagar New Member

It seems interesting to say the least, but I'd be worried if the static defenses can create a sizable number of them...

4. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I say meh. It's a cool idea, but it's not going to be much use after early game.

5. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    nice, atleast zerg building alone have a little defence.
    i dont like the name though. =]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  6. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Not so sure of this.
    It brings up memories of the Scrin Harvester when C&C3 was first released.

Destroying units or buildings only to lose units from the death throes leaves a bitter tast in my mouth.

I would rather the Zerg buildings have a way to fight back than have combat units emerge from the dead husks

7. kuvasz

kuvasz Corrections Officer

Hungary
    I would prefer this to the buildings fighting back. This isn't warcraft in space.

But I don't see how the swarm would solve anything or help the Zerg, although it's true I have no idea what the Zerg has now because they change everything every other day, so they might have lost something important recently and Blizzard is trying to make up for it with this.

8. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Reminds me of RA3??? When buildings were sold 1 sec from death units poped out :)
    Good idea, but is it true? There poped none of these out at WWI!

"Unit Mutation Change
    As all MBS production order now changed, Zerg's has as well. The difference is that you'll notice this from the first Hatchery. In difference to other production buildings in StarCraft I, Zerg has always used multiple builders (Larvas), and so the Zerg early building is now "nerfed". It's no longer possible to use one keypress to make all selected larva into units, you will have to click once for each unit to be transmuted. If you have 150 minerals and press "D" when selecting 2 Larva, only one Drone will be made. Click "DDD" and three will be made. The reason is to balance out the later game, so you can select many Hatcheries, but you can only make one unit per key-click."

This one cant be true... At WWI you could one click and 3 drones wouild be produced, like you could select 8 gateways and click once

9. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    ^
    well tahts what the guy said, he went to WWI and he played it.

10. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Nah, Swarm sounds cooler. And the Broodling is already in the game, spawned by the Swarm Guardian... Swarm Guardian?! Maybe they should switch names or something. :p

11. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I think its a cool idea, I said that once a long time ago. It stops it from being overpowering and gives Zerg a unique aspect to them.

Btw, buildings can attack, the Queen can do some buff to them and they start shooting Spawm Clutch type projectiles.

Also, I noticed you can move Crawlers off creep but they move slower and their health decreases.

12. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    I havent played it, but i have followed it (also form the live stream in eu.blizzard.com), 24/7

13. AcE_01

AcE_01 Active Member

Australia
    yeah me too =]
    but i think this guy is telling us the truth. Maybe it will change, who knows.

14. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    But It wasnt included in that build, so It cant be the truth (he said it was from that build Ace).

15. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I'm impressed. Every single one of those changes mentioned in the article seem like great ideas. Way to go Blizzard!

16. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Read my last posts ninerman13, some of the changes werent in the build.

17. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

You ever have one of those days where you are just like not there or something?

My bad. I guess half of my comment still stands though - the ideas seem good.

18. Kimera757

Kimera757 New Member

Can anyone confirm this Swarm unit?

19. furrer

furrer New Member

Denmark
    Yeah some of the ideas are great, I jsut want to show that another sc2 site isnt trustworthly.

Kimera, as no one from Blizzard has confirmed it, and it wasnt in the build at WWI, no.

20. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    I CAN CONFIRM IT.

You see it at 7:10 when the group of Banshee destroy the Baneling Nest. Notice the small creatures scatter out and rally to the Hatchery, then they disappear.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n9dqRrc1UE8