New Thor Ability

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Dec 14, 2007.

?

Is this new ability good?

1. Yes. I love it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I guess it's O.K.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't like it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

New Thor Ability

Discussion in 'Terran' started by -LT-, Dec 14, 2007.

1. -LT-

-LT- New Member

So what do you think about this new Thor ability?
    Should it stay in the game?
    Do you want to change anything about it?
    Discuss it here. :gossip:

2. Loki

Loki New Member

I think it's neat that the Thor will still be useful after "death". I could see it as a sort of uber turret that your troops could rally around.

3. ninerman13

ninerman13 New Member

I also think it's a sweet idea. It gives even more of the impression that the Thor is supposed to give of huge imposing crushing gigantic death.

New strategies can evolve around a player's immobilized Thor's because I'm sure they can hold their own for a little while until they are repaired. Enemy players will have to make sure they fully destroy the unit to eliminate the threat.

4. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    It is one of the most unique ideas so far in SC I think. It will just fit the terrans. Huge unit: hard to kill

5. Namor

Namor New Member

Can anyone find out if the immobilized Thor is stuck to attack in one direction or is it just stuck so it cant move???

This new "ability" will encourage players to fight in open areas so that the crippled thors can be left there :p

6. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I don't know.. at first glance it seems a really nice idea.. but then again, if the opponent can actually amass a force powerful enough to destroy the Thor for the 1st time, then it won't take long until it finally falls again.
    Still, I like the fact of 2 deaths.. It's kinda heroic.
    But I think the most important thing about the Thor is that Blizz has already certified us that It will be a heavy antiair unit, so know we know what to do when Mr. Protoss goes mothership on us.

7. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    Yup I guess thats the problem of the Mothership owning everything on the face of sc gone huh.

8. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

i wonder how it will look like or how the animation will look like when the thor uses its second life. i think it would be nice if it look half destroyed and cripled and still firing at will.

i think the artilery at the back will be use as an aerial strike raid bombardment. i hope it still hits hard with its ground attacks.

9. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

I might actually smash it down to turret form for base defense really. It could be useful, if you micro it's attack, you wouldn't have to put it back into stand ground.

10. karlo

karlo New Member

SOL system
    ok that new thing for the thor is nice.

11. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I like it. It gives off the impression that Thors are supposed to be the "tankers" of the Terrans with their two lives. Plus, it gets you more bang for your buck.

12. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Hungary,Székesfehérvár
    I think this would be nice too, but with the current concept, it could fire only in one line so the enemy couldeasily dodge it. Maybe they redesign and give it a rotating cannon, to make it more effective in its "second life"
    I don't really now how would it look like but I am sure Blizz's designers are already working on the project :)

13. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    Obviously it'll be able to rotate, or else there really wouldn't be much point in having that second life, would it? I think it would look better if its legs were blown up and it was standing on its "knees" so to speak and using its cannons.

14. Shadowdragon

Shadowdragon New Member

The problem is that a second life doesn't change the thors role, it just makes it harder to kill. What they did (or will do/might do) is closer to adding hit points then adding a unit-changing effect.

But if people want the thor to be a super turret, MAKE it a super turret! Here's a few ideas to toy with:

1. Add a fortify ability to the thor, increasing armor, range, and turn speed at the cost of movement.
    2. Allow an SUV to create a kind of bunker for the thor that soaks damage (thor can't move), but the thor can break out of upon command (faster then deploying/undeploying).

If the second life ability is really what's wanted, that can be improved a few ways to:

1. Give the Thor individual armor that soaks damage. When armor "breaks", Thor speed is increased, but armor rating shoots down to zero (along with a big drop in health). Think of the armorless thor as a different unit, starting with full health (just not much of it).

2. Same as Blizzards idea, except give the thor an auto repair if it is not attacked within a length of time. Self repair continues until thor can move again (making damaged thors a bigger threat).

My only question is if the thor replacing the cobra means the thor gets a speed boost...

15. Wlck742

Wlck742 New Member

In your head
    I think it's the best to just make it like it is now, if it even has to be that way at all. Thors with seperate armor's actually, okay, but I'd prefer it the way it is now. As for auto repair, that would be a bit OP since repair requires resources and an SCV on the spot, which is kind of the reason why it's pretty hard to repair a Thor in the middle of battle.

16. Psionicz

Psionicz New Member

Under Your Bed
    When they say replace they don't mean the Thor is the new Cobra they said it has replaced it within roles of being the heavy ground AND air support unit. So the Cobra isn't gone for sure.

And plz enough talk about super units, Thor is perfect right now and I hope Blizzard don't change it.

As for the crippled mode thing I'd say the Thor will have like half the HP or something, maybe one arm will not function but it can turn pretty slowly but not move. Or with this arm not functioning they may do something where the Thor redirects its energy into one gun and that gun gets a power boost but is slower to fire.

17. Gasmaskguy

Gasmaskguy New Member

Sweden
    Why would they complicate it like that? It will just be immobile. Still able to turn, still able to fire both cannons. Not being able to move is all they mentioned.

18. TerranGod

TerranGod New Member

i dont really get how the new ability works

can someone explain?

19. -LT-

-LT- New Member

When the Thor is killed it becomes immobile and is some kind of powerful turret. You need to kill it again then to completely destroy it. When in turret form, SCV can repair it to become mobile again.

20. i2new@aol.com

i2new@aol.com New Member

The fact that thor is has to be killed twice is ganna be funny and a major laugh. I cant wait to mass thors with marines and meds and fire bats :) Or Tanks covered by the massive air raoing thor! My god i'm going Nuts just thinking about it.... :)