New Scarab ammo types.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 18, 2007.

New Scarab ammo types.

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by PrivateJoker, Jun 18, 2007.

1. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

What with the frequent and deep upgrades, ability advancements of pre-existing SC units, its not too far fetched to speculate that the Reavers may have multiple Scarab types for construction. Lets say the Reaver could make a very long range Scarab, same range as a Siege Tank, except it does much lower damage, with an enormous splash. Or maybe a very high powered, expensive Scarab that is remote triggered and could wipe out larger unit masses in one shot. Anyone like this idea? This is just speculation anything in regards to new Reaver abilities is possible. Maybe an anti-air Scarab?

2. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

I couldn't see the reaver having the ability to hit air targets. I could see them getting some upgrades to damage and distance though.

3. UchihaItachi0129

UchihaItachi0129 New Member

i agree anti-air would make it a bit overpowered. i mean 100 damage base with splash >.<
    and i dont think they'll make any other sacarb options. i hope they do make a speed upgrade though. it moves as slow as a slug >.<

4. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Well lets say the Scarabs peformed very different functions, but could be fired as long as its in the Reavers launch bay. Say the anti-air scarab would hit an air unit and create an area Plasma fire that does 35 splash damage to nearby units, but damages the hit target by 75% of its HP. I'm just making it up, but I think it wouldbe cool if you could cue up different Scarabs. Further planning could be imposed if you could only fire the Scarab shells in the order that they were constructed.

5. Frost

Frost New Member

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, but i don't want it lol - NO MORE MICRO STUFF...even though it isn't really much uhhh ???

6. sordid

sordid New Member

I like this idea a lot..

7. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    hahaha that was what i was thinking too!

i'm prolly just being too conservative right now. change is good but overcomplicating things that were already good and simple is asking too much. Just having like all these functions for the reaver would just be like giving the marine, a defend function, grenades, a rocket launcher, and a stim pack. It's just too much!

but hey keep those ideas coming!

8. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Lets say Reavers are "robotic catterpillars". What if the Reaver could go into a phase transition and conform into a "Butterfly Reaver". A slow mobile flying artillery siege unit, not unsimilliar to the Guardian, except much more expensive, slower and with specialized ammo types. (With this type the anti-air scarab wouldbe impossible)

9. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    haha oh the sarcasm

i'm sure people would look at your post and be like. WTF IS THIS GUY THINKING BAN HIM SC TRAITOR !&#^!*#%&!%$#&!#^&

10. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet New Member

Of course! And we could also give the Zerg killer bunnylings, and give the Terrans Purple Dinosaur Battleships, and...

Maybe these special scarabs could be constructed at the Robotics Support Bay (Or whatever structure will be needed to build Reavers in SC2), and then loaded into reavers. If a reaver carried no special ammunition, it could just build normal scarabs.

11. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

The more micro, the better! Am I the only player that wants to have to micro each step that each unit takes? It would be much more difficult, time consuming and fun this way.

12. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Haaa, I used to joke in the Starcraft Battle.net forums, years ago, about the Zerglings being special bunnies. And that the "screechy seagulls that barfed too much" made me angry when they barfed on my little digging bunnies.

13. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

I can def. see the range of the scarab being increased with an upgrade but I don't think they would want people having a queue for which scarabs they would want to use. It would get overly confusing with a group of them.

14. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    @PrivateJoker:

eh but then it wouldn't be starcraft, right?

that's prolly why people (or me at least) don't really like the ideas of adding all these spells and special function because it'll be like warcraft in space, micro-hell. starcraft is based on mass armies going at one another. it's also another reason why all the top starcraft players mostly zerg and some protoss. the terrans require the most micro and it's hard being good at that race in a game where mass armies shine.

added: but eh if you're the master at terran micro like boxer.. then hey you are good to go!

15. mc2

mc2 New Member

Reavers definitely could use a speed upgrade as mentioned eariler on. scarabs are pretty well-balanced in SC1 so I don't like how Blizzard is decreasing the range of them.

I think Blizzard wants to make each unit as distinguished as possible. So a scarab that's powerfu enough to destroy a large unit is too much like the yamato gun, and we don't want it to be too much like the siege tank either. I do like more splash for the scarabs though.

16. paragon

paragon Guest

Or NaDa who is statistically the best player in history and plays Terran.

How about an EMP scarab with a longer range. For those units that are running away and then you EMP scarab them and catch up and kill them. Or if a building is producing or upgrading something, it stops temporarily.

We still don't know that the Reaver range is decreased.

17. coalescence

coalescence New Member

Speeding up the reavers would really unbalance things, reavers are dangerous enough as they are seeing that almost every protoss players use them in reaver drops.

18. MrFrancko

MrFrancko New Member

Yeah, plus now during reaver drops you'll be shielded. That's some dangerous stuff!

19. Nikzad

Nikzad New Member

wait, how will you be shielded?

20. Space Pirate Rojo

Space Pirate Rojo New Member

Canada, eh?
    During A class today a bunch of the guys and I got into another one hour long discussion about possible unit ideas and someone suggested that Reavers should be able to ball up and roll faster than crawling but they couldn't attack and it would take a while like a Tank getting into Siege mode.