New Pylon System

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Pix, Jun 12, 2007.

New Pylon System

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by Pix, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Pix

Pix New Member

Hey, you know that you can overlap Pylon fields - with several Pylons together? They build up a darker colour of the field, yeah?
    Well how about some of the really new advanced Protoss structures require this sort of layered Pylon thing? It would make the Protoss more unique, as you have to build more Pylons for certain structures, and would be quite realistic since some Protoss structures would obviously require more power than others. Plus, it would be a balancing tool - keeping the really cool buildings from becoming too overpowered.
    Any thoughts or problems with this idea? I think it would be pretty awesome, I dunno...
    ~Pix~

2. WHAT!

WHAT! New Member

i lke this idea,or maybe you have to upgrade that certain pylon to have a stronger,uhh battery pack?

3. Pix

Pix New Member

You mean like selecting key pylons and upgrading them to support the advanced buildings with a greater power out-age?
    ~Pix~

4. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

yeah, i agree it'll make the game VERY complex. i can totally imagine the trouble to build a building that requires an overlapping psionic field in order to construct. especially since i play protoss. don't like it.
    isn't it troublesome enough that protoss units become unpowered when they have no more pylons? why make it worse as to have buildings have higher psionic drainage when blizzard made phase prisms to make it easier for the protoss? not that i'm criticising your idea, but it kinda goes against the flow.

anyway, i like how blizzard has made it that you can build units, then summon them to any part of the psionic field. so you can kind of build these units, then summon these units to another expanded outpost's psionic field. also, i don't think it makes the game really unbalanced as it takes time to summon these units.

5. Pix

Pix New Member

How will it make the game "very complex"? All it requires is common sense. Building two or three pylons instead of one?
    I uhh... I fail to see how this would make the game any more complicated... :-\
    ~Pix~

6. 10-Neon

10-Neon New Member

Gainesville, FL
    That could apply to other buildings as well: maybe factory structures can build/warp units faster and research might be completed faster with more Pylon support.

7. WHAT!

WHAT! New Member

i still like my idea of upgadiing it,as it would stop people from whoring like 10 pylons for 1 building.

8. Pix

Pix New Member

But if they pay the minerals to put 10 Pylons around the building, why shouldn't they get the benefits?
    ~Pix~

9. PsiGlaive

PsiGlaive New Member

Sounds interesting, imagine if you would that an overlapped pylon field could warp in more units at a time too!

10. mc2

mc2 New Member

Whenever I play Protoss, especially in money maps, I always ended up having lots of overlapping pylon fields anyway because I always like to hit the unit limit of 200. So if I have 3 Nexus that means I need 17 or more pylons around my bases. This would naturally create lots of overlapping fields already.

But it is a good idea. I'm not too sure of Blizzard will implement this in the game itself, probably they'll incorporate something similar in the expansion pack.

11. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

Yea, thats a pretty clever idea. Also with the advent of the phase cannons, perhaps their will be a late game advanced upgrade that allows you to transition all of your buildings into "phase energy" form in order to mobilize entire bases to new resource locations.

I also hope Blizzard bans money maps. ;)

12. [LightMare]

[LightMare] New Member

but, if the buildings require a 10 pylon power, that's like impossible, because the diameter of the pwer output of the pylon is not really big

13. mc2

mc2 New Member

then it probably wouldn't go to the extremes of 10 pylons. probably something like 3 pylons is pretty enough. Shield can recharge faster too, for structures and units.

14. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Yea money maps suk donkey ballz.

15. gr3ykn1ght

gr3ykn1ght New Member

well, seems like everybody's for this idea... hahaz... i don't know why i feel that this will make the game more complex, maybe i'm too used to expanding, so i don't get many extra pylons around to overlap stuff... while i expand, i build pylons cos i need them and thus i hit the food limit long before i actually think of overlapping pylon fields... at the most i only overlap 2-3 fields, but that's about all. maybe i should change the way i place my pylons...

16. FlyingTiger

FlyingTiger New Member

CT
    I think it will complicate things a bit. It's something less to worry about. Like will the building have to be placed completely over the overlap or like does it only require a little portion of the overlap.

The you have to worry about if you have a small base and you can't afford to build another pylon if a building requires 3 pylons since you don't have enough room or something. It's just the little nuances that could affect gameplay if you implement such thing like pylon requirements. Keep it simple!

I mean then you have to balance that out with the zergs and terrans. What would you do for them? How come they don't have a requirement for their buildings? Just my thoughts.

17. coalescence

coalescence New Member

I think that will unbalance the game, because people will make cluser of pylons and add phase cannons with gosu shields.

18. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

how bad can 3 overlaps-max could get?!
    would be kool to implement this if pylons were weaker

19. PrivateJoker

PrivateJoker New Member

I think the probes should be able to throw pylons at Battlecruisers for massive damage.

20. PowerkickasS

PowerkickasS New Member

ub3rness
    lol battlecruisers only