New Protoss Unit... well sort of

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by taz, Sep 6, 2007.

New Protoss Unit... well sort of

Discussion in 'Protoss' started by taz, Sep 6, 2007.

1. taz

taz New Member

just checked SC2 main website, they've just put the mothership

here's what they say in the description:
    Protoss motherships are mighty vessels that were constructed centuries ago during the golden age of protoss expansion. They were intended to act as primary command ships to lead vast armadas of protoss explorers into the darkness of deep space and bring them safely home again. Those days are long gone, and the surviving motherships later became holy shrines to the protoss, representing an honored way of life and a part of the proud history of the protoss race.

At the heart of each mothership is a huge khaydarin crystal infused with an incredible amount of psionic energy. By tapping into this energy, a mothership can warp or crack the very fabric of space and time itself. The devastating power of a mothership can wipe out squadrons of enemy ships in the blink of an eye or lay waste to entire planets. As the golden age reached its apogee, the motherships were left in place as titanic monuments at the farthest reaches of protoss exploration. It was believed that their like would not be needed again.

After the loss of Aiur, however, the motherships were called back into service from the far corners of the galaxy. Now they are crewed not with mystics and historians, but with warriors. The oldest and most powerful weapons of the protoss have been awakened and are prepared to burn the galaxy to avenge the loss of the protoss homeworld.

it has the ablities that they introduced in BlizzCon
    the link is:http://www.starcraft2.com/features/protoss/mothership.xml

2. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

YES!! Thank God it's a super unit again!!

EDIT: Hm, they killed Black Hole for the cloak.....And is it just me, or could the Mothership only cast Time Bomb on itself before?

Also, you can still have multiple ones, so I'm sure that the basic attack is still nerfed.

3. b0urne

b0urne New Member

i still see the basic attack. the link still shows the mothership shooting what seems to be souls of protoss warriors...poor brave soldiers, fighting even in death. this is wicked, time bomb's new effect is much, much better; and cloak affects buildings too! WICKED...TAKE THAT, THOR!

4. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah, the building cloak is rather awesome. With enough motherships, you could cloak a whole base.

5. b0urne

b0urne New Member

actually i wanted to ask a question also: can you create a mothership ANYWHERE on the map? it seems like that's what happened in the first in-game demo.

and does time-bomb affect tanks as well? or just munitions that you can see, i.e: missiles

6. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

To the first, you probably warp it in at the Stargate.

The second, we're not sure, but it's most likely just visible.

7. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

no motherships are currently build in the stargate as seen in some blizzcon gameplay.

wheres the black hole? sh*t.

only 2 or 3 motherships allowed in gameplay is fair enough. not a super single unit and not more than 3.

8. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Black Hole was axed I guess.....Too imba.

9. b0urne

b0urne New Member

instead of limiting the count to just 2 or 3 motherships, why not make one mothership use a significant supply number, like 10 or 12.

10. Fenix

Fenix Moderator

Yeah, that makes more sense

11. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

because multiple mothership imo looks more powerful and cooler specially in real starcraft universe. i want to see in the cinematics multiple motherships attacking, in the protoss final assault against the xelnaga. ^^

black hole to imba. = can be balance in many ways. i think blizzard are planning to use it for the campaign as the ultimate ability of the protoss mothership wipping out all legions of zerg flyers in the space. thats why they remove it. =\

my idea about the motherships is there are 3 unique type of motherships with different ability and you can build at a maximum of 3 mothership in gameplay with any type of mothership you want. not build in the stargate but a completely new protoss building.

12. b0urne

b0urne New Member

i think the black hole ability is a bit over the top. i mean, toss already have warp rays and phoenixes to deal with air attacks.

and what's this about 3 unique motherships? do you mean 3 heroes with unique abilities? i don't really like the idea of heros; it takes away from the whole starcraft feel. leave heroes to warcraft imo

13. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    I would like to direct you all to the news forums where there is already a topic about this there.

14. b0urne

b0urne New Member

there's a news forum??

s'ok i don't really need to say anymore, thanx Prey

15. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
  16. zeratul11

zeratul11 New Member

nah, not heroes. think about how the battlecruisers get unique upgrades. but the type of mothership you want to build has the ability ready.

uhm also in my idea the black hole can only be use ONCE during the entire game and after that the mothership will rely only on its normal attack. make the mothership attack air units too blizzard.

17. BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey New Member

Arizona
    Once is a little o restrictive. How about it uses ALL the energy and is only usable every 5 minutes.

OR
    you could just make it weaker. We have a whole thread on that